S Max 130 Carbon Boot Sole/Tread

Apologies if this has been covered some where. I love these boots and have been on them for two seasons. Have approximately 80 days on them. I have 5MM lifters (or whatever they are called) on them.

I replaced them once, but lost a couple screw heads when removing/putting new ones on. Is there any process out there to plane the bottoms and put actual rubber soles on them? Or am I just stuck until Solomon comes out with this is boot design in something with a stock rubber sole?

I understand a rubber changes the feel of a boot in your bindings...and this particular boot is made for a certain type of skier and performance that is probably different then me.

I don’t race...I am 190lbs, 5’11” and ski Aspen 40 to 60 days a year and my current everyday ski is a 186 Line Sick Day 104. I primarily ski trees and other ungroomed terrain. I am sure I would be fine in a 120, but I love the lightness of these boots and they fit my foot better then any other boot I have ever tried. The S/Max 120s are heavier and higher volume.

A Lange is too wide in the toe box and my foot is skinny and short. Not sure if that is the right description...but if you know this boot you know it is narrow and low volume vertically. Sorry...NOT a boot fitter.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

My best bet might be to try and find a cheap pair of the regular 130 boot with the rubber sole...but all the reviews and Solomon say they are higher volume in the instep.

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Have the same boot. Have the same general gripe/non-complaint. Have no solutions.
    focus.

You can put a variety of different lifters on that boot. The Head Raptor Overkill sole makes an excellent add on sole for any solid soled boot.
    They are grippy, but solid feeling when skiing. They are 7mm so your boots would have to be recut.
    The only negative with these soles is they re more expensive and not as durable as others.
    If you have worn through the lifter and are walking on the plastic it is possible to redress the sole or fill the gap with a quality epoxy paste like PC-11.

jummo

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    My best bet might be to try and find a cheap pair of the regular 130 boot with the rubber sole...but all the reviews and Solomon say they are higher volume in the instep.
    The regular (non-carbon) S/Max 130 comes with a rubber sole that is easily sourced for replacement from Salomon; they are a bit softer but still a solid 130 relative to other boots in the category. It feels the same on my foot as the Carbon, but if there is any difference in volume it is the liner (take the liner out of your old boots and see). Taller instep is in comparison to the old model (X Max 130).

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    The regular (non-carbon) S/Max 130 comes with a rubber sole that is easily sourced for replacement from Salomon; they are a bit softer but still a solid 130 relative to other boots in the category. It feels the same on my foot as the Carbon, but if there is any difference in volume it is the liner (take the liner out of your old boots and see). Taller instep is in comparison to the old model (X Max 130).
    I'm in these same 130s non-carbon version and can confirm its does not feel like a lot of vertical volume. Love these boots. Maybe they would work for you.

Thanks. I think I will be watching this summer for a sale on the non-carbon. Is a shame as I love the boot and it was expensive as fuck. May be a deal where I ski the plain 130s at Ajax (lots of walking to lift) and when I am with the kids. Save the carbons for big boy days with not much walking.

I would love to see Solomon bring the carbon tech to more of their boots next season with more sole options.

FWIW, the non-carbon S/Max 130 broke on me after 10 days on the hill. ASWO's warranty services are also hilariously disorganized. The local bootfitter said that another customer had the shell crack in a different spot on his 2nd day out. I won't buy that boot again.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210104_152749.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	370663

Send them to CAST to install their lifters. They have much better grip than anything else you can buy for a hard soled boot. Unfortunately those head raptor overkill soles are impossible to get.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Send them to CAST to install their lifters. They have much better grip than anything else you can buy for a hard soled boot. Unfortunately those head raptor overkill soles are impossible to get.
    I put CAST on a. set of plugs w good results. I also think Green Mtn Orthotic Lab has the OverKills & some Grip Walk variants.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Unfortunately those head raptor overkill soles are impossible to get.
    Perhaps in Canuckistan. Here in 'Merica, they have been in stock all year. Just reordered some last week.

jummo

I like my non-carbon 130s, but the inside cuff pivot bolt fell out after maybe 10 days, and now they're useless until I can get a replacement from Salomon. The pivot bolt also has 2 little opposed holes, requiring a special tool, instead of a hex key like everyone else. Why??!

My cuff broke too. Called Salomon to warranty a replacement, but they have no replacements in stock. They're telling me to go through the dealer. Salomon customer service is pretty shitty, I won't be buying another boot from them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smax boot.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	408545

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    My cuff broke too. Called Salomon to warranty a replacement, but they have no replacements in stock. They're telling me to go through the dealer. Salomon customer service is pretty shitty, I won't be buying another boot from them.
    If you're looking for a replacement boot. The S Max fit me well but ended up going with a Krypton which seems to have a similar fit, plus the flex of a 3 piece boot is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    The pivot bolt also has 2 little opposed holes, requiring a special tool, instead of a hex key like everyone else. Why??!
    It uses a spanner wrench. They are easy to find. https://www.harborfreight.com/adjust...IaAiVMEALw_wcB