Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

If you need one pair of good, leather-insoled (i.e. will form to your foot) dress shoes that will last a lifetime, buy a pair of dark brown, welted (i.e. properly re-soleable), cap toes made of good leather (i.e. full grain, not top grain bullshit.)

Fuck black suits. The only place they should be worn is in a tuxedo and then you should be wearing patent leather anyways. Dark grey suit and brown shoes is fine for funerals if need be.

Bluchers are more versatile than oxfords -- look at home with cords, nice jeans, chinos etc. Oxfords don't.

#YoungLarry
    X2, and I’d shoot for a simpler design vs more intricate

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    No Stubb's and Wooton for Bern?
    I'd rock the lobster

Notice Bernie only had shoe trees in less than half of them. For shame!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Cap-toe oxford for classic/timeless. I have Johnston Murphys from the mid nineties, always looked good with a suit. Probably worn twenty times so not even broken in so can't speak to comfort, my ski boots are better. I'm sure they are not be the best, but do the trick. Like someone said don't skimp on the shoes and belt they make or break the whole package. Always store with shoe trees.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    These? Are you guys fucking kidding?

But the brown shoes go so well with my formal attire

Name:  trendy-ways-of-wearing-formal-brown-shoes-with-your-outfits-652x400-7-1467868229.jpg
Views: 2142
Size:  55.6 KB

Seriously, though, there are some normal dress shoe looking Dressports and they are comfy.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Admitted shoe hoarder here.

These are my go to- Pay $400 now, have them rebuilt for $100- last a lifetime.

This one- with red laces.

Have this pair too, but I have barely broken them in yet.

I would not classify these as comfortable until after about 3 months though. You may be able to accelerate break in somehow, but I haven't figured out a better way than to just wear them and keep them dry by only wearing them every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    But the brown shoes go so well with my formal attire

Name:  trendy-ways-of-wearing-formal-brown-shoes-with-your-outfits-652x400-7-1467868229.jpg
Views: 2142
Size:  55.6 KB

Seriously, though, there are some normal dress shoe looking Dressports and they are comfy.
    Why is that person wearing a jacket and pants they bought him when he was 12?

AE has sales on “seconds” but I have yet to find the actual problem with them. Once you have your size, just reload during sales. I cycle two black cap toe Park Avenues, wear them every day during non covid and get them resolved every few years. For only social occasions, one pair should last a lifetime. As others have said, stay away from the lower priced AE stuff, not worth it

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Why is that person wearing a jacket and pants they bought him when he was 12?
    tighter fit is ^^ the style now along with loud socks & wierd shoes

but not hush puppy wierd
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://www.florsheim.com/shop/style/12189.html

I noticed Bernie did not seem to like lace's. Probably same as me. Did not like the look when your pants hung up on the lace's.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Allen Edmunds cap-toe oxfords.

Nothing trendy about them. Pricy as hell, comfortable, timeless, and they'll last you the rest of your life. If you are able to shop deals, you can find them for much cheaper than retail.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes-b...r=5615#start=1
    Realistically the thread should have ended here. Lots of questionable style advice and trendiness posted after.

But it’s always entertaining to ask mountain men about fashionable urban men’s wear

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    I can only imagine what that guy’s shoes go for.

Download that Poshmark app and look at Frye. I’ve lucked out with some killer deals on shoes and boots.

Don't you live in Idaho? Just get a pair of Ropers and call it good. Dress up Western is so much easier. Where you want to draw the line is up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Realistically the thread should have ended here. Lots of questionable style advice and trendiness posted after.
    There have been a few decent post. For OP who is looking non-everyday use, you can get near equivalent quality of a shoe for 1/2 the price.

And I say that as someone who has 5 pairs of AEs in the closet. Including black, brown and burgundy 5th aves.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    There have been a few decent post. For OP who is looking non-everyday use, you can get near equivalent quality of a shoe for 1/2 the price.

And I say that as someone who has 5 pairs of AEs in the closet. Including black, brown and burgundy 5th aves.
    yeah but only rubes go in to nordstrom's or whatever and pay full price for something. AE is so ubiquitous that it makes it easy to find deals on poshmark or similar.

for a much cheaper but still excellent quality alternative, i have a pair of john doe shoes that i love. they're goodyear welted, made in mexico, and they use the absolute highest quality leathers and materials. probably not true buy it for life, but pretty fucking close:

http://www.johndoeshoes.com/black-ta...dannonay-calf/

i get complimented all the time - this is the actual pair of shoes that i own from them on their insta. i've had them for 3 years and they're still holding up beautifully:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BhbrRPkHs0A/

check out their other shit, it's beautiful, quality, pretty cheap too.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    It's been a few years since I dabbled in the dress shoe game, but I had a few different pair of Gordon Rushes that I enjoyed. They seem to walk a nice line between dress and dress casual. I had two pair of the loafers and one pair of chukkas/ankle boots, all held up well and were comfortable. You should add 'dress' boots to your list if they aren't already being considered. Way better than some of the options being posted here

Gordon Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    You should add 'dress' boots to your list if they aren't already being considered.
    Add some bespoke knickers or jodhpurs and you're done.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7f05a27fdb20e3dd00583215fe0e7652.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	370595
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    But it’s always entertaining to ask mountain men about fashionable urban men’s wear
    Right? Blundstones, FFS.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

if it were AK it would be Xtratufs

I think you need to narrow it down, ask what shoe to wear to a divorce hearing which would be different for a grandjury
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

One thing I don't understand about this forum--with all the love for overpriced shoes, espresso machines, etc etc etc--why is everybody buying used skis that have been drilled 6 times. We're skiers right, shouldn't that be where we spend money, and scrimp on the rest? Why no love for Kastle?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    tighter fit is ^^ the style now along with loud socks & wierd shoes

but not hush puppy wierd
    They have hipsters in Northern BC?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    One thing I don't understand about this forum--with all the love for overpriced shoes, espresso machines, etc etc etc--why is everybody buying used skis that have been drilled 6 times. We're skiers right, shouldn't that be where we spend money, and scrimp on the rest? Why no love for Kastle?
    Skis are disposable objects. If they are in regular use they last a couple seasons at best. And new they cost 5-1000$ dollars.

A pair of good shoes will last you a lifetime if cared for. And cost less than one pair of skis.