Dynafit Radical Pro Boot

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMKpAb6FwSO/

Great listen about this thing here:

https://blisterreview.com/podcasts/h...le-more-ep-141

Anyways - got to listening to this podcast, then headed into my local shop this morning to have some boot work done and had an opportunity to check them out and try a pair on.

NOTE: I have not skied these... and my reference points are: XT Free, Lupo SP & C130, MTN Lab, and Hoji Free (HF)

Buckles and Levers:
    One of my complaints on the HF are how hard it is to undo the buckles, and the climb lever in the rear. Seems like other folks also have this, as the climb lever is bigger, and the buckles are much easier to actuate.

Additionally, they replaced the cinch power strap to a velcro one, but it still loosens with the Hoji-Lock lever.

Tongue:
    Uses a bolted interface, compared to the hinged interface of the Hoji. It looks more robust, and doesnt flop out of the way when taking the boot on and off. I'd say this is a improvement as that's always a pain when taking the boots off.

First Fit:
    Probably the most important here. I've got a medium to large volume foot. In most boots I am a 26.5, however in my HF I sized up to the 27 shell, which fits well (once all my boot work was done)...

I was able to try on both the 26, and 28, and based on the fit of the 26 I would not have any issue using that size. Heel pocket felt pretty good, and forefoot last would require minimal work, if at all. I would expect in the 27 I would be swimming in room, and therefore if buying I would go back down a size...

The boot fitter at the store stated that he was in the same boat. Therefore I think the key takeaway here is: you may need to size down in the new lower shell.

Flex:
    Hard to say without skiing it, but I did a side by side comparison to my HF and they're slightly (Very slightly) softer. Flex pattern is still similar to previous models; stiff initial flex, linear mid range, with progression towards the end of the boot travel.

Curious to know what other folks think about the boot once it becomes more available.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

Iím in the Hoji Free 110 which Iíve had to do lots of work on to take up volume,, so the higher volume Radical Pro isnít going to work, but the refinements to the buckles, tongue, strap, and climb /walk lever all sound positive. All are manageable, but that spring mechanism on the lower buckle is plain annoying, and Iím sure the cable that the climb/walk engages is going to break one day, given the force applied.

Dynafit Radical Pro Boot

TLDR: skis like a 1400g boot, somewhere between a backland and a Cochise. Fit may vary for individuals. Hoji lock is cool.

I swooped a pair off telemark Pyrenees and skied them this weekend. One day touring in the presidential range and one day in the resort. Iím a 26.5 in atomic backlands and tťcnica Cochise. So I got a 26 shell for the radical pro. For reference, Iím 5í 9Ē ~150lbs depending on how much beer Iíve been drinking.

Fit is interesting. Felt okay in my living room, thought I would just need a navicular punch, as it felt narrow in the bottom of the shell at the midfoot. My navicular and midfoot is so wide I couldnít actually get my heel into the bottom of the boot until I punched the navicular. After skiing all day, I started to feel pressure around my ankles, and Iíve never had to make room in the ankle area of other boots. I thought that was interesting because the fit of this boot was supposed to have more ankle volume than the Hoji free (which Iíve never skied, only tried on). I should note I only had pressured when in ski mode so maybe I need to dial in my buckling strategy.

Toe box felt super roomy, thought Iíd be swimming in it all day, and was happy that Iíd probably have warm toes. But ended up finding that my pinky toes were getting crushed after skiing a few laps, even while leaving the toe buckle loose. Might have to do with my foot rotating outwards? The boot fitter stuck a Barton wedge under my footbeds to help with the pronating and navicular rolling into the shell, unsure if thatís fucking with my normal alignment. Definitely felt weird skating around the flats in the resort.

Length was something Iíve been tripped up about. I went reasonably snug on the shell fit. I had an index finger space in the back. But I constantly felt like I was ramming my toes into the end of the shell when walking, especially walking downhill, which makes sense and really shouldnít be done in ski boots. But Iím in New England and skiing here is kinda fucking stupid. I didnít seem to have too much an issue with length while skinning, but a longer tour might reveal more pain.

On the performance side, I was happy with the way this boot toured with the buckles and strap set in the tightness I would ski at and the lever in walk mode. I felt like it skied really well too, I found it to have a really nice flex, I think it was somewhat progressive? Skiing fast in smooth snow, I felt like I could push the boot as hard as I wanted, and when I rolled over the ski for the next turn, it felt like the boot sprung back and gave me some energy back, make transitioning between turns subtly energetic. Whereas I felt like the Cochise would rebound a little slower? This sounds dumb as hell, but thatís what I thought. I can say that I did not blow through the flex skiing fast through heavier spring snow, although itís a pretty light boot so it still doesnít feel super substantial in variable snow. I was also on a touring ski with pin bindings, so that doesnít help. (181 Ferox and ions). Overall, the radical pro certainly doesnít feel like ď130 flex 4 buckle bootĒ with a zip fit and booster strap. But itís definitely a huge step up from the older backland carbon (or any 1000g boot), which skied like a short piece of penne pasta. 120 flex seems like an accurate description, but wtf do these numbers really mean.

I really like the cuff height and walk mechanism. And with a little more fit work, I could see myself only skiing this boot.

I see the new Radical Pro now has a toe lug. Is this boot compatible with the Salomon Shift? Or is the toe lug only for use with crampons?

Quote Originally Posted by KM14 View Post
    I see the new Radical Pro now has a toe lug. Is this boot compatible with the Salomon Shift? Or is the toe lug only for use with crampons?
    Should follow the ISO 9523 standard so it should work with MNC/Sole ID bindings.

Edit: Cant find any documentation stating that, however the nice european man on Dynafit's website says its compatible with all touring bindings, including frame bindings which should mean if follows that norm like the Hoji Free.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

Can confirm, just snapped them into my shifts and made all the adjustments. AFD working well and forward pressure good. Good surface area on toe and heel lugs.

After the runaway sucess of the Vulcan which looks more and more like a fortunate acident Dynafit followed up with the loser Khion & Beast,

Thank dog Hoji was there to save Dynafit from another dud
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know