Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: K2 Catamaran

K2 Catamaran

Not really a tgr charger ski....but any thoughts on these?

Picked up a brand new pair of 2020 K2 Catamarans for dirt cheap. Just liked their look with the HUGE amount of tip and tail rocker. I’ve also owned K2 Marksmans a few years ago, and regretted selling those. I really liked the Marksman’s flex and it’s asymmetrical shape. The Marksman was a very capable and fun ski for ripping around inbounds.

My original plan was to use these K2 Catamarans for a deep slush spring ski but then Whistler Blackcomb closed early.

Almost listed them for sale a few times but then I fondle them and something makes me stop.

Thinking they would be a great Mt Baker, WA and Powder Highway ski for deep days. Both should be accessible to me next year.

It’s like a fatter Sir Francis Bacon?

Mount or sell. If mount....Shifts or probably STH?

Lots of overlap in this size in my quiver as I have 112mm R11s, 118mm Dynastar Protos and 115mm Icelantic Nomads 115s. But don’t care. These are much softer and would be really really fun in soft snow.

Specs:
    ———-
    177cm (more like ~180cm as the Cats measure exact same length as my 180cm R11s)

136-120-131 (tons of tip/tail rocker, fat waist, narrow tips, asymm)

20-21m radius

-6cm mount (my spot)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0161.JPG 
Views:	254 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	370384

Name:	IMG_0162.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	226.8 KB 
ID:	370385

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG 
Views:	217 
Size:	143.1 KB 
ID:	370386

Name:	IMG_0164.JPG 
Views:	214 
Size:	192.5 KB 
ID:	370387
    Last edited by kc_7777; 04-05-2021 at 01:07 PM.

Keep em. Ski pow switch. Win win win

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Here is my perspective. I was into french made dynastar. In the 70,s. And then I got into fuck yeah! Made in the usa. k2. And then 1998? They started making the ski's in china!. Fucking China! That freed up money for sponcership and advertising. But it pissed me off at a base level. I hate these fuckers. I will never buy a ski with k2 on the top sheet. Thank God for the indies!
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Shred em! I personally like the heavy, noodle feel for mess around skis that are still fairly damp in choppy or chundery maritime snow. I haven't skied that particular model, but they look fun.

Mount with STH

Mount 'em and enjoy them. Sure they might have overlap with your quiver width wise, but they're a totally different ride than any of those skis. There aren't very many skis that are more fun and silly out there in the world.

Wouldn't put Shifts on them personally because they're pretty heavy, and don't do great in variable backcountry snow, but for deep inbounds days, when you want to slash everything, land sideways, and practice spins with deep soft landings, that ski is hard to beat.

The "K2 made in China" horse is dead, and well beaten. They make fine skis. Many fine skis are made in China. Plenty of shitty skis are made outside of China. This is a stupid argument.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Mount 'em and enjoy them. Sure they might have overlap with your quiver width wise, but they're a totally different ride than any of those skis. There aren't very many skis that are more fun and silly out there in the world
    Ya this was my thought when buying them.

With this year’s travel restricted ski season; skiing Whistler-Blackcomb exclusively for ~50 days, my quiver got a bit too all-mountain capable and sensible.

Quote Originally Posted by kc_7777 View Post
    my quiver got a bit too all-mountain capable and sensible.
    Everyone deserves to have one not-sensible ski in their quiver, this is one of my top recommendations for that class. You'll have a blast!

Everyone deserves to have one not-sensible ski in their quiver, this is one of my top recommendations for that class. You'll have a blast!
    Hey Cy, on the K2 note, how do you like the Reckoner 112 vs the old Shreditor 112? I used to love the Shreditor for that little extra weight it had.

K2 Catamaran

I’ll say it—

I bet that’s the ski that the owner justifies needing for that deep blower day in February that results in said skier wishing he was on something faster now that conditions are all-time and the legs are fit.

Or- it’s an early season, first-snow field hopper. In which case you should have put shifts on it.

For me personally, that ski would be nicknamed November. It floats in slow, low angle, no-base snow and thankfully turns by itself because my legs are jello after that climb.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    I’ll say it—

Or- it’s an early season, first-snow field hopper. In which case you should have put shifts on it.

For me personally, that ski would be nicknamed November. It floats in slow, low angle, no-base snow and thankfully turns by itself because my legs are jello after that climb.
    Haha nice description. Brought me back to 2014 when I had a cabin at Baker....early November skinning up inbounds and then skiing down under the silent lifts on Owl Renegades with Dynafits....and the grass and bushes were was sticking up through the snow. Fun times.

PS if it’s deep blower in Feb at Whistler I’m likely on Protos or Rustler 11s.

If I’m at Baker, where you can change skis much more easily, these could get the first few laps. Same with the Powder Highway.

Gotta love skiing. And quivers.

Wait— are you calling out my Owl Renegades?

Yo, Homie, those are not November!

Or, am I mistaken?

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    Hey Cy, on the K2 note, how do you like the Reckoner 112 vs the old Shreditor 112? I used to love the Shreditor for that little extra weight it had.
    It’s awesome. Feels like it has a pretty similar speed limit in chop, even though it’s lighter, it’s a touch stiffer, so it’s not flapping around as much. I think it loses very little, if any mediocre snow performance to the old version, and gains a lot more versatility. It’s easier on your legs to ski all day, shifties don’t feel like they’re about to dislocate my hips like they did on the old version, and they’re easier in tight trees and spin better.

I’m convinced that the Catamaran is what the Hellbent was always trying to be, sort of like the platonic ideal of that ski, and I think the same could be said for the 112’s. The new one is what the old one wanted to be.

Basically, I think it’s a really smart ski and I dig it. If the Deathwish didn’t exist it would probably be my go-to daily driver.

It’s awesome. Feels like it has a pretty similar speed limit in chop, even though it’s lighter, it’s a touch stiffer, so it’s not flapping around as much. I think it loses very little, if any mediocre snow performance to the old version, and gains a lot more versatility. It’s easier on your legs to ski all day, shifties don’t feel like they’re about to dislocate my hips like they did on the old version, and they’re easier in tight trees and spin better.

I’m convinced that the Catamaran is what the Hellbent was always trying to be, sort of like the platonic ideal of that ski, and I think the same could be said for the 112’s. The new one is what the old one wanted to be.

Basically, I think it’s a really smart ski and I dig it. If the Deathwish didn’t exist it would probably be my go-to daily driver.
    I love hearing this since I just picked up the 184 from the Corbett's sale. Couldn't pass up the Geoff McFetridge collab for that price.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

112s are pretty fucking capable. Don't be fooled by the soft progressive flex when hand flexing the ski. Wish I had gotten on this ski a lot sooner .

I'm not afraid of the flex as much as I am the light weight. I'm leaning towards the J Skis Hotshot or whatever, but I wish that was 112mm. I gotta face the music and realize I'm not going to find the perfect ski unless I customize.

I used to love the Shreditor 112s, and remember those could rally pretty damn hard in soft snow. I used to wish THOSE were heavier, I remember emailing K2 many times to make a Shreditor X, a Shreditor 112 with metal lol. They went the opposite direction, and I'm 40 lbs heavier now, simply because I was only a few years out of high school when I got my first Shred 112s and now I'm a grown ass man.

I do respect your opinions though, and Reckoner 112 is going on the "for sure demo" list along with Katana 108s. They are currently so cheap, it's almost stupid for me not to buy, but I haven't liked ANY light ski better than it's heavier counterpart yet, so doubt this is the one. Will demo for sure though.

That's what intrigues me so much about these Catamarans. They are pretty damn heavy compared to the newer skis. I love that, idc if they are noodles. I like noodles if they weigh a lot. I don't like asym on thinner skis, but I think it makes sense on a ski like this, one that's a lot more powder specific. Only other ski I preferred with asym over non-asym, was the Cease and Desists. I would grab a set of Catamarans for cheap too, if I didn't just grab some ARGs.

Haha nice description. Brought me back to 2014 when I had a cabin at Baker....early November skinning up inbounds and then skiing down under the silent lifts on Owl Renegades with Dynafits....and the grass and bushes were was sticking up through the snow. Fun times.

PS if it’s deep blower in Feb at Whistler I’m likely on Protos or Rustler 11s.

If I’m at Baker, where you can change skis much more easily, these could get the first few laps. Same with the Powder Highway.

Gotta love skiing. And quivers.
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Wait— are you calling out my Owl Renegades?

Yo, Homie, those are not November!

Or, am I mistaken?
    Come to think of it my first turns on new snow this season were on my owl rens with dynafits. In november.

Got a local offer to buy the Catamarans.

Thinking on it. Corbetts has some Reckoner 112s....

Hmmm...reasonable switch or simply Covid boredom?

I can't tell you how they ski yet, but these showed up at my door yesterday and I think I'm going to like them a lot. They are definitely on the lighter side and hand flex pretty soft in the tips, but I like that combined with how solid it feels throughout the middle of the ski. Should be fun, feels like it will be really poppy and playful.

Got a local offer to buy the Catamarans.

Thinking on it. Corbetts has some Reckoner 112s....

Hmmm...reasonable switch or simply Covid boredom?
    The 112s hand down. Some of the best skiers in the world ride the reckoners with good reason. They are stable, have a huge sweetspot and you can make any turn shape you want forwards or backwards in any kind of snow. Did I mention they fucking rip high speed groomers?
    Or that they do everything well?

Ideally you should ride both but if I had to choose I'd be on the reckoners

Quote Originally Posted by sk8rat6587 View Post
    I can't tell you how they ski yet, but these showed up at my door yesterday and I think I'm going to like them a lot. They are definitely on the lighter side and hand flex pretty soft in the tips, but I like that combined with how solid it feels throughout the middle of the ski. Should be fun, feels like it will be really poppy and playful.

Thanks for this pic. Looks way better than the pic on Corbetts.

My black STH 16s would look nice on that top sheet.

Reckoner 112 way more versatile than the Catamaran.

Yeah for sure, they look amazing in person. One of my favorite topsheets recently, bases are pretty cool too.

K2 Catamaran

Quote Originally Posted by sk8rat6587 View Post
    Yeah for sure, they look amazing in person. One of my favorite topsheets recently, bases are pretty cool too.

We need to rename this the "K2 Reckoner" thread...sold the K2 Catamarans and bought K2 Reckoner 112s....the cool ones like above.

The 112 Reckoners fit better in my quiver.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 04-20-2021 at 10:25 PM.

We need to rename this the "K2 Reckoner" thread...sold the K2 Catamarans and bought K2 Reckoner 112s....the cool ones like above.

The 112 Reckoners fit better in my quiver.
    Fully support this. Now you just need to get them on snow before the seasons over. Fkn Canada eh

Fresh pair of 191cm catamarans on gear trade right now for $255:

https://www.geartrade.com/item/813747/k2-catamaran-skis

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up, just bought these. With that being said, anyone interested in a pair of OG Hellbents? (still not 100% convinced I want to sell them even after this purchase)