Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: K2 Catamaran

What size are the OG bents? A buddy skied them in Hokkaido one season, and I’d love to get my hands on some.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    What size are the OG bents? A buddy skied them in Hokkaido one season, and I’d love to get my hands on some.

189. Mounted twice I think? Currently have on super old but seemingly functional neon yellow fks whatevers at a 301 bsl.

I've keep waffling on selling them as they have one singular use now that I have yet to find an equal: End of season, tank top/shorts, 70 degrees out sticky mank ripping. I gotta believe the Catamarans will be at least as good for that as these, right?

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, just bought these. With that being said, anyone interested in a pair of OG Hellbents? (still not 100% convinced I want to sell them even after this purchase)
    Nice! Hellbents are tempting but I've decided if I do any quiver shuffling it's going to involve adding an mfree 108.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Just cracked open the box of the Catamarans, these things (at least the 191s) have much more of a solid flex throughout than I was expecting from what I've read. Not noodles at all, way stiffer than my old Hellbents.

Pretty excited to get them out next year, think they're going to be more versatile than anticipated especially considering the nice amount of weight they have at around 2550g per ski.

God, I miss my old catamarans.
    swing your fucking sword.

Bumping this thread from the dead for a specific question regarding the k2 catamaran. For a few years I’ve had a theory that a really soft and really fat ski might make dust on crust days more enjoyable. Last year I skied some hellbents and really liked the feel and felt they my theory applied to them. However they were the 179 length and that just didn’t work for as it was really hard to stay balanced on them in dust on crust. The newschoolers roof box review of the Catamaran really hyped how good they are as carving skis. I know they are stiffer than a hellbent, but if the asym design makes them loose and good carvers it seems like that would translate well to dust on crust. Anyone ski a pair in dust on crust and have any input? I really don’t need another pow ski but these things are crazy cheap and I’m curious.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Bumping this thread from the dead for a specific question regarding the k2 catamaran. For a few years I’ve had a theory that a really soft and really fat ski might make dust on crust days more enjoyable. Last year I skied some hellbents and really liked the feel and felt they my theory applied to them. However they were the 179 length and that just didn’t work for as it was really hard to stay balanced on them in dust on crust. The newschoolers roof box review of the Catamaran really hyped how good they are as carving skis. I know they are stiffer than a hellbent, but if the asym design makes them loose and good carvers it seems like that would translate well to dust on crust. Anyone ski a pair in dust on crust and have any input? I really don’t need another pow ski but these things are crazy cheap and I’m curious.

I've skied the Caramaran almost exclusively in dust on cust. Like 2-3" of 6% on refrozen chunder bumps. They were fantastic for that purpose. Super lose and easy to throw around. They don't float on top, but they make the deep pockets feel deeper I guess. The looseness with the camber and aysm make for good hold on the hard snow when you need it, but the light snow flies right up in your face on demand. My main pow ski is the Aysm Billy Goat so I like that feeling of your inside edge being the boss while the outside edge just wants to find soft snow.

I skied em back to back with the Reckoner 112 in those conditions and was way happier on the Catamaran... but I don't love the Reckoner like a lot of people do. I hated the floppy tip on that ski, in anything but super consistent conditions I felt like the tip had a mind of it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by ASmileyFace View Post
    I've skied the Caramaran almost exclusively in dust on cust. Like 2-3" of 6% on refrozen chunder bumps. They were fantastic for that purpose. Super lose and easy to throw around. They don't float on top, but they make the deep pockets feel deeper I guess. The looseness with the camber and aysm make for good hold on the hard snow when you need it, but the light snow flies right up in your face on demand. My main pow ski is the Aysm Billy Goat so I like that feeling of your inside edge being the boss while the outside edge just wants to find soft snow.

I skied em back to back with the Reckoner 112 in those conditions and was way happier on the Catamaran... but I don't love the Reckoner like a lot of people do. I hated the floppy tip on that ski, in anything but super consistent conditions I felt like the tip had a mind of it's own.
    Seconded, Cat is probably a top three all time dust on crust ski for me.

I actually forgot I wrote that review but as others have said here that ski rips they are so much fun. If you get the chance to grab a pair I would say do it. Such an underrated ski.

https://www.corbetts.com/2020-k2-catamaran-skis-sample/

Sample going on corbetts for 299

I seen those, wish they were the next size up!

Quote Originally Posted by Velomayniac View Post
    I seen those, wish they were the next size up!
    There are some short kings out there that would probably love these

Got out on the 190s a few times late last season, never had more fun in my life in pow trees and meadow skipping. So ridiculously loose and easy with all that taper and rocker and forward mount point. Really heavy and damp, felt great on soft groomers too somehow. 100 percent the skis I'm bringing to Japan next time I hopefully can go. They're fairly soft but no where near as much as the Bents.

Gotta believe they'd hold up well in steeper terrain skiing hard, hopefully I'll get them up Chair 2 this season. In deep, shit snow I have Asym BGs and Protests, but I think the Cats would be great there too. I feel like I could honestly sell every other ski I have 116 or wider and be happy with just these, couldn't possibly bring myself to do that though.
    Last edited by lrn2swim; 12-02-2023 at 04:28 PM.

Pulled the trigger on a pair from Corbetts. With the conversion rate being so favorable to usd I had to. But now I have way too many pow skis.

Pulled the trigger on a pair from Corbetts. With the conversion rate being so favorable to usd I had to. But now I have way too many pow skis.
    How big are you? I'm 6'0 190 or so, wouldn't think of going smaller. They do run true to size or even a bit longer than stated so the 184s will be at least that long

I’m 5’10” if these were my primary pow skis I’d want them in the longer size. But for this niche purpose I’m fine with the short size. I’ve been skiing 184 reckoner 102 more than anything else this year. Plus I’ve got Qst 118s in 191, blanks in 186 & 194, renegades in 186 and 196, praxis powder boards in 195, 194 On3p cease and desist, EHPs in 193, reckoner 112 in 194. It’s a problem. Good thing I live where it snows a ton and I ski pretty much every day of the season.

I'm pretty sure Marshall made a run of hellbents here recently fyi

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

He did. But the catamaran is $221 USD

I absolutely love my catamarans but the last thing that I would describe them as is carving ski. I can make them carve ok but it takes some effort. Everything else I love them. For that price you can’t go wrong.

What do these do better than Pon2oon? More surfy with asym and different style with mount point?

Quote Originally Posted by Velomayniac View Post
    What do these do better than Pon2oon? More surfy with asym and different style with mount point?
    Very different in my opinion. The cats I feel are a better alrounder than the pontoon was and much more stable.

However the new crescendo is my current pow ski of choice! I love those things so much.

Crescendo stops at 186 tho

He did. But the catamaran is $221 USD
    What are you waiting for

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

He already bought them

Little update on my purchase. These have turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. We’ve had 2 dust on hard ass crust days at Alta this season and these things are great in such conditions. Slide sideways so easy, yet enough ski underfoot to grip the firm snow if needed. When skied with feet really close together they feel like a snowboard in the way they drift turns. Specialty ski for me, but worth it fit the super low price.