Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Just searched about this wax and read through this thread, good stuff.

I’ve been using swix f4 bars for years and have always been happy with them, super easy to work with, except for the whole breathing in chemicals all the time part...

The Mountain Flow eco wax kept popping up on my Instagram ad so I figured I’d give it a shot. Love the concept, ordered 2 all temp, one cold, and some plant based bike chain oil.

Just waxed one pair of skis, what a nightmare this stuff is to work with. Sharp scrapers gum up right away, if you let the scraper gum up and keep scraping, it makes clumps of wax on the ski that are even harder to scrape off.

Overall, not pumped on the purchase. As the designated family tuner and waxer, the swix is so much easier and faster, I’ll give some of the tips from this thread a shot, but man this stuff was bad enough to work with that I had to type it out for others reference.

If i figure out any easier methods I’ll check back in

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    I’ve been using swix f4 bars for years and have always been happy with them, super easy to work with, except for the whole breathing in chemicals all the time
    An FYI in case you weren’t aware: new F4 waxes are fluoro free (clearly marked on the front of the package) so that could still be an option if you were happy otherwise.

I can’t stand gummy waxes - have some Toko ‘backshop’ wax bars like that.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    An FYI in case you weren’t aware: new F4 waxes are fluoro free (clearly marked on the front of the package) so that could still be an option if you were happy otherwise.

I can’t stand gummy waxes - have some Toko ‘backshop’ wax bars like that.
    Oh nice! I was not aware, thanks for that.

I really wanted to like this wax but it’s such a fucking pain to scrape. Even their warmest temp wax with a sharp plastic scraper is a straight battle. I even find i avoid waxing at this point because I dread scraping it so much
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Isn't Purl also an "eco wax?" That seems to scrape just fine, what's so special about this stuff?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I use the rub on and cork method a lot, and it's much harder to rub on the Mountain Flow all-temp wax compared to other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Barron DeJong View Post
    I can’t stand gummy waxes
    This x 1000

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Mantooth View Post
    I really wanted to like this wax but it’s such a fucking pain to scrape. Even their warmest temp wax with a sharp plastic scraper is a straight battle.
    Ugghh!
    Anyone want to buy some new in packaging Mtn Flow Eco wax? - I’ve got some from the kickstarter campaign - haven’t tried it yet because feedback in this thread is consistent and not compelling.

Sounds like a lot of you should just be getting DPS Phantom Glide. One and done.

I'm a Hertel Hot Sauce guy on alpine and Nordic. Best stuff I've ever used that isn't temp specific. Just bought a brick of Purl - we'll see what that stuff is like. If it sucks, I wax enough bro-gear that I should be able to get rid of it easily enough, and then I can protect my Hertel stash.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Just searched about this wax and read through this thread, good stuff.

I’ve been using swix f4 bars for years and have always been happy with them, super easy to work with, except for the whole breathing in chemicals all the time part...

The Mountain Flow eco wax kept popping up on my Instagram ad so I figured I’d give it a shot. Love the concept, ordered 2 all temp, one cold, and some plant based bike chain oil.

Just waxed one pair of skis, what a nightmare this stuff is to work with. Sharp scrapers gum up right away, if you let the scraper gum up and keep scraping, it makes clumps of wax on the ski that are even harder to scrape off.

Overall, not pumped on the purchase. As the designated family tuner and waxer, the swix is so much easier and faster, I’ll give some of the tips from this thread a shot, but man this stuff was bad enough to work with that I had to type it out for others reference.

If i figure out any easier methods I’ll check back in

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Just went through this same experience on my splitboard. I use multiple diameter scrapers in succession, have the Swix sharpener, all that. The all temp was like tree sap, gumming up the scrapers. Really wanted to like this stuff, but going back to my one ball & swix stash until I can get some Hertel ordered.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Anyone ever try Dots wax?
    https://dotswax.com/

I finished my supply of Mountainflow when putting on the storage wax and need to reload - I found scraping a bit of a pain (less so when doing crayoning and fibertex) but want to try something new and deciding between Dots or Purls Natural. Any thoughts?

Anyone have experience with their IR waxer.
    https://mountainflow.com/products/ir-waxer-2-0

‘Waiting for the snow to fall’ -SCI
    4 Time Balboa Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Truckee Joe View Post
    Anyone have experience with their IR waxer.
    https://mountainflow.com/products/ir-waxer-2-0

‘Waiting for the snow to fall’ -SCI
    I've used it a couple times, works fine. It took a bit to get the hang of heating the base and following that up with rubbing the wax on the base. Warmer wax was easier to crayon onto the base than colder, not surprising. Seemed to do a good job of melting the wax into the base, still have to be careful not to overheat the ski. Definitely used less wax overall, hence easier scraping. I think similar results can be had by touching wax to an iron and crayoning onto the base. With practice, I think the IR waxer could be a time saver by making it easy to heat the base, apply the wax, melt the wax and have less scraping.
    Sawatch is French for scratchy.

Quote Originally Posted by natebob View Post
    I think similar results can be had by touching wax to an iron and crayoning onto the base.
    I had this exact thought myself when contemplating plunking down $250 for an IR waxer. Just can't justify the purchase.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoasttreehugger View Post
    Anyone ever try Dots wax?
    https://dotswax.com/

I finished my supply of Mountainflow when putting on the storage wax and need to reload - I found scraping a bit of a pain (less so when doing crayoning and fibertex) but want to try something new and deciding between Dots or Purls Natural. Any thoughts?
    For the benefit of anyone wanting to use these non-petroleum waxes but annoyed with how sticky they are to scrape off, I highly recommend Dot's. Not enough comparisons in identical snow (nor a good enough skier) to be able to tell a difference in performance, but just based on ease of scraping I'd rank it Dot's > Purls > Mountainflow

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

The complaints about it being hard to scrape are true. One thing I’ve noticed that helps is to let it dry and cool completely before scraping. (Overnight even?) When the wax is still even a little warm, it’s just a complete disaster to try to scrape. (Hot scrapes are…not ideal…) The crayon method for sure makes it easier.

But, I think the stuff is fast — I use it for my weekly beer league without hesitation.

Not sure if it is petroleum based or not, but Hertel claims to be biodegradable and Hot Sauce is best all temp wax I've ever used. Scrapes like a dream, too.
    Montani Semper Liberi

Quote Originally Posted by AlecO View Post
    The complaints about it being hard to scrape are true. One thing I’ve noticed that helps is to let it dry and cool completely before scraping. (Overnight even?) When the wax is still even a little warm, it’s just a complete disaster to try to scrape. (Hot scrapes are…not ideal…) The crayon method for sure makes it easier.

But, I think the stuff is fast — I use it for my weekly beer league without hesitation.
    good to know as I still have a bar of warm temp mountainflow left. I am impatient and only wait 20min typically before scraping

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MarsB View Post
    Not sure if it is petroleum based or not, but Hertel claims to be biodegradable and Hot Sauce is best all temp wax I've ever used. Scrapes like a dream, too.
    I still have the bar of Purl I picked up a couple years ago - still in the package. I'm still using the old Hertel Hot Sauce, and couldn't be happier. Best stuff ever.
    Gravity. It's the law.