Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Unless it’s a sharp metal scraper with a freshly turned burr, you’re not removing base material scraping off wax. I use an old dull metal scraper to remove cold hard wax all the time. It would take a serious effort and a little stupidity to power right through the wax and start cutting base material

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah it can. Of course the sharper the metal the more damage to the base. I use scrapers to level off all my repairs. It would take quite an effort to remove that much material, but the real damage is to the structure of the base, which in turn reduces glide, which was your whole reason for waxing in the first place

Mountain Flow Eco Wax

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    Yeah it can. Of course the sharper the metal the more damage to the base. I use scrapers to level off all my repairs. It would take quite an effort to remove that much material, but the real damage is to the structure of the base, which in turn reduces glide, which was your whole reason for waxing in the first place
    Did you miss where I said I use an old dull scraper? I only use on hard wax to level it out and then a good brushing. Structure looks like it did off the stone. Yes a freshly sharpened and turned scraper will remove base material, that’s what it’s for. I would never use my good scraper to remove wax.

Nope

Mountain Flow Eco Wax

Nope
    So if I’m using a dull metal scraper to smooth out the wax and then using a brush to expose the structure, how am I removing base and structure? Anxiously awaiting waiting your wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Base bevel is convex. Using a metal scraper means you are removing base material making the ski flatter and loosing base bevel.
    Attachment 370411
    Interesting.
    Question: Although not ideal, potentially you could create end up with a flat spot on the base side edge next to the base, but the angle where the edge side bevel and base bevel meet would not change right?

We got some to test. It may be the slowest wax I've ever tested. Like poling downhill slow. I'll be using the remainder of it to waterproof gloves and boots.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Lostintime View Post
    Interesting.
    Question: Although not ideal, potentially you could create end up with a flat spot on the base side edge next to the base, but the angle where the edge side bevel and base bevel meet would not change right?
    A sharp scraper isn’t removing edge material.

A sharp scraper isn’t removing edge material.

Standing by original response, your not changing the angles even if you are removing a microscopic amount of the base edge. IME, the only base material that I have removed with a metal scraper is involving a repair higher than the base.

So if I’m using a dull metal scraper to smooth out the wax and then using a brush to expose the structure, how am I removing base and structure? Anxiously awaiting waiting your wisdom

Sorry to have caused you stress Aaron
    It's called burnishing. It has more to do with deformation than actual removal of material.

If you crayon, use a cork block.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Fwiw, I got picked up by Green Ice Wax this season. Beyond being environmentally friendly, it’s easy AF to work with. Ain’t no one have time for labor intensive wax.

PM for a discount hookup.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    If you crayon, use a cork block.
    Rotocork if you want to crayon and have it last for the day.

Mountain Flow Eco Wax

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    Base bevel is convex. Using a metal scraper means you are removing base material making the ski flatter and loosing base bevel.
    Attachment 370411
    I’m just a moron pot head from Vermont. But that image is not showing a convex anything. Your base is flat. Or is supposed to be. The base edge is the same height as your base and is beveled lower then the base as it moves out to the side edge. At least that’s what your illustration is showing. And if your tech is telling you that you are supposed to have a convex base, well, you need a new tech. I am just pointing out it’s not convex. But level with your bases edge. And a good metal scraper will take base material, but only the high base material. Or more if your suck and flex the scraper in the middle with your thumbs.

And op. Sharpen your scraper. And keep your skis room temp or a little above. Sometimes when it’s cold wax we throw them in the boiler room where it’s like 85-90 degrees, makes life a little easier.

I actually like my fatties a touch base high.

Mountain Flow Eco Wax

I actually like my fatties a touch base high.
    Ya. I get what you are saying, but it’s not base high if they have ever touched a grinder. I’d term it as you like “more of a base bevel” on your powder skis. Like a 1.5 degree. It’s not uncommon.

I just like my fatties to get me high.

I bought a swix scraper sharpener for the wife. Best damn money spent in quite some time. I use the shit out of it.

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Ya. I get what you are saying, but it’s not base high if they have ever touched a grinder. I’d term it as you like “more of a base bevel” on your powder skis. Like a 1.5 degree. It’s not uncommon.

I just like my fatties to get me high.
    Nah man. Touch base high. Like bevel extending into the base.
    Perhaps a picture is worth a thousand werds.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210405_223953896.jpg 
Views:	2078 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	370556. These are one of the truly great soft snow skis. The gold Maven 154-139-151. They ski outstanding.

Mountain Flow Eco Wax

Nah man. Touch base high. Like bevel extending into the base.
    Perhaps a picture is worth a thousand werds.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210405_223953896.jpg 
Views:	2078 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	370556. These are one of the truly great soft snow skis. The gold Maven 154-139-151. They ski outstanding.
    That looks railed. Like your edges are the same height as the center of your base. Your level is resting on the base and the edge and there is a gap of light next to the edge on the base.

That tells me two things. Your skis need to be ground, and they 100000% ski like dog shit in anything other then deep powder.

And buy a tru bar. Levels are a joke. Especially anything over a 12” bullet. Skis are precise. Like extremely precise, which is why there are special tools for it.

Maybe you are on to something and you can show wintersteiger and Montana your new grind technique and maybe they will make you a custom stone that makes skis anything but flat. I dunno though. Worth a shot. I’m good skiing flat skis though.

That looks railed. Like your edges are the same height as the center of your base. Your level is resting on the base and the edge and there is a gap of light next to the edge on the base.

That tells me two things. Your skis need to be ground, and they 100000% ski like dog shit in anything other then deep powder.

And buy a tru bar. Levels are a joke. Especially anything over a 12” bullet. Skis are precise. Like extremely precise, which is why there are special tools for it.

Maybe you are on to something and you can show wintersteiger and Montana your new grind technique and maybe they will make you a custom stone that makes skis anything but flat. I dunno though. Worth a shot. I’m good skiing flat skis though.
    Nope 0 railage, period. Nice circles though. Ski beautifully and it's not a race ski(did you miss the part that said 139 uf). You're seeing shit that ain't there, dude. Photo illusion in a shitty photo. 0 metal to metal contact. It's a level, not a big deal, in an example photo that represents what I was saying just fine!. I have true bars, but didn't feel like digging them out, thanks for the advice though bro! Skis have been ground. You have 100000% no clue how these ski. If you were to have a hard time on this tune, I would question you're skills. I'd ski these in the death chute
    Ooh good idea. I'm quitting my job today so I can start work on getting a curved stone built.
    Last edited by tuco; 04-06-2021 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Missread last part

I’m good skiing flat skis though.
    Probably has a little to do w/ locale situational specifics. I'm skiing snowy mountains where I value a little looseness. You're skiing icy hills where you value a more locked in feel.
    Have you ever even skied a ski wider than the Bodacious?
    You should youtube the video of the dude skiing Surface Lab001's @ Snowbird. It'll blow your can't.........imagine..........anything........but ........flat........bases mind!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    if east coast joey needs a beacon probe n shovel to have you show him how to ski the soli fantasies sik gnars
    i got loaners
    i aint ironed or scraped at work since we went future uv waxer 2 seasons ago
    crayon, uv n buff
    i still roll oldschool in the mancave on occasion
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Ohhhhnohhhhs! SKIOFF!!!!
    I'll supply the pre and post descent phatty's

Mountain Flow Eco Wax

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    if east coast joey needs a beacon probe n shovel to have you show him how to ski the soli fantasies sik gnars
    i got loaners
    i aint ironed or scraped at work since we went future uv waxer 2 seasons ago
    crayon, uv n buff
    i still roll oldschool in the mancave on occasion
    If that means you and I get to burn one then sounds good.

WTF is a uv waxer?

WRT scrapers, my daughters dinosaur ex us ski team coach gave me a great tip a couple of years ago to have different thickness scrappers on hand, so a 4mm, 6mm etc. Having different scraper flexibility provides the ability to deal with different surface imperfection. I haven’t perfected anything yet, but will often pick up a different scrapper if the first one isn’t getting the job done, and surprisingly have often found, with both being equally sharpened, that one will sometimes just work better than the other.

As for metal, I just avoid them for wax as I find it can dummy your base structure in a hurry

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch

or
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno