Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wakesurf

Wakesurf

Didn't see anywhere else where this should fit, so here goes. Anyone else riding waves behind boats? Got our wave dialed in last year and now thinking about a bigger boat. Just picked up a Ronix/Volcom M50 board to add to the quiver and will be looking to get out on Lake Sammamish next week in the drysuit. Looking forward to putting a whole lot more hours on the boat this year.

Some kid surf stoke from last year to get us started.
    Last edited by phatty; 04-02-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Wakesurf

Nice! What boat do you have? My wife sells wake boats for a living so we are out all the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9020.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	370312

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Nice! What boat do you have? My wife sells wake boats for a living so we are out all the time.

Name:	IMG_9020.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	184.7 KB 
ID:	370312
    I have a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter VLX. Put 1500# of ballast in the back plus a wakeshaper. Makes a decent wave, but thinking of upgrading to a 23'. I bought this one so I could still ski, but we've only skied twice in 3 years. I have friends with VTXs so ski with them whenever we want to ski.

What are you guys using now?

Wakesurf

Nice. Those old sunsetters are sweet.

We had a 2018 Axis T22 for a couple years but we honestly just borrow boats from her shop. If we bought a boat it would be a VTX perfect mix for us.

She’s a lifelong skier, too, but I just surf cause it’s so easy.

Nice. Those old sunsetters are sweet.

We had a 2018 Axis T22 for a couple years but we honestly just borrow boats from her shop. If we bought a boat it would be a VTX perfect mix for us.

She’s a lifelong skier, too, but I just surf cause it’s so easy.
    The VTX is awesome. I just have a big family and need something 22'+ to not feel squished when we are out. The Sunsetter is 21' but has a fairly narrow beam. Likely get a 23' LSV with a diamond hull to get a "not terrible" ski wake. Probably an older one, but need surf gates. Those things are money.
    Last edited by phatty; 04-03-2021 at 09:53 PM.

Wakesurf

Sick. The 23 LSV comes in diamond hull and has surf gate after 2014, too

Edit: shoot me a DM when you get into the buying process and I can have the wife keep on eye out down here in Portland for you. This year is nuts for trying to buy a boat

Sick. The 23 LSV comes in diamond hull and has surf gate after 2014, too

Edit: shoot me a DM when you get into the buying process and I can have the wife keep on eye out down here in Portland for you. This year is nuts for trying to buy a boat
    Yeah, I meant LSV. I've seen a few 2015s with decent hours, but Covid has driven prices up crazy. I'll definitely reach out when I'm ready or if your wife gets a trade that looks good, let me know. I grew up in Lake Oswego and still have family down near Portland, so I end up down there pretty regularly.

I grew up with Ken Meloon, so I’ve always been a Correct Craft fan.

My first Ski Nautique cost $16k, now you can easily spend $160,000.

We mostly chase balls and foot.

Name:	IMG_1944.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	370393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1965.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	826.7 KB 
ID:	370394

Oh hell yes.

Wife was a national champ wakeboarder back in the day (INT league), and finally wore me down a couple years back and we picked up a 98 Sunsetter LX, one of the direct drive ones from back in the day when she was riding. Man we timed that well. Picked it up for 14k and had multiple offers over 20 on the ramp last summer. I figure it will be similar this summer like any other outdoor pursuit. I ski a bunch and she's hung up the wakeboard now that we are late 30's, but to surf we pack it down with a 750 out back, 2 400's on either side of the motor, and a 400 up front. Thinking about adding another 400 to the ski locker also. Plus the wedge.

We've put about 125 hours on ours each summer for the past couple years between Palisades and Jackson Lake, if anyone wants a pull give a holler! Boat currently sits at about 820 hours so we'll be deciding whether to upgrade after this season or running it into the ground. I'm interested in the VTX but not sure it is that much greater than the Sunsetter for what we do.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Oh hell yes.

Wife was a national champ wakeboarder back in the day (INT league), and finally wore me down a couple years back and we picked up a 98 Sunsetter LX, one of the direct drive ones from back in the day when she was riding. Man we timed that well. Picked it up for 14k and had multiple offers over 20 on the ramp last summer. I figure it will be similar this summer like any other outdoor pursuit. I ski a bunch and she's hung up the wakeboard now that we are late 30's, but to surf we pack it down with a 750 out back, 2 400's on either side of the motor, and a 400 up front. Thinking about adding another 400 to the ski locker also. Plus the wedge.

We've put about 125 hours on ours each summer for the past couple years between Palisades and Jackson Lake, if anyone wants a pull give a holler! Boat currently sits at about 820 hours so we'll be deciding whether to upgrade after this season or running it into the ground. I'm interested in the VTX but not sure it is that much greater than the Sunsetter for what we do.
    Sweet! I have a buddy who had an '02 Sunsetter direct drive. The ski wake is awesome. It's better for skiing than a VTX, but the VTX is better for everything else. In fact, this friend just upgraded to a VTX. Ideally I'd have 2 boats, a Prostar 190 for skiing and a 23' LSV for everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Oh hell yes.

Honestly, the first time you fill ballast on the VTX, then drop the wedge and surf gate and you’re surfing in five minutes after your ski set, you’ll never go back.

We normally take my FIL’s direct drive ski boat plus a big surf boat to lake Powell every year, but this year we just took the VTX and loved it.

I suck at skiing, but my wife and FIL said it was very manageable. Surf wake was great.

Last edited by Supermoon; 04-06-2021 at 02:26 PM.

I've been pushing every friend and family to do a Powell trip but just can't seem to get any takers. Crazy I know.

I fear the 5 minute turnaround time would sell me pretty quickly. I continue to tell myself, at least at the two lakes I frequent which are both pretty large, the ski time window is small and early mornings. Between wind and the rest of the mondo surf boats glass just isn't there after about 10 or 11 am regardless.

Every once an a while though I can run a couple passes at sunset under Mt. Moran and be a happy man.

Those VTX's seem to base at around 100k, how quickly do the options run up on those?
    Live Free or Die

Yeah, can't sleep in and ski glass just like you can't sleep in and ski pow.

I think the one we were on was around 120, but I'd have to double check. You can get a '16 for about half of that and while the surf wake won't be quite as good they apparently ski better than the newer ones. They changed the hull for 17-20 or something like that and it wasn't that good, but redesigned for this year and it's better.

Plus more POWAR! (in a Jeremy Clarkson voice)
    Live Free or Die

09 23 LSV. Does the trick. Run stock (1250lbs) + about 4k more in lead and additional bags depending on how many people in boat.

Name:  Bu surf wave.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  64.0 KB
    Name:  beks surf.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  52.5 KB
    Name:  Kovie surf.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  168.7 KB

Name:	G1959763_1538019152522_high.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	370640

Name:	Screenshot_20200810-202536_Instagram.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	168.4 KB 
ID:	370641
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Yeah, can't sleep in and ski glass just like you can't sleep in and ski pow.

I think the one we were on was around 120, but I'd have to double check. You can get a '16 for about half of that and while the surf wake won't be quite as good they apparently ski better than the newer ones. They changed the hull for 17-20 or something like that and it wasn't that good, but redesigned for this year and it's better.
    This is the truth. Get a '15-'16. Very good (though not direct drive good) ski wake and and really nice wakes for surf and wakeboard. The surf gates are a must, though.

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    09 23 LSV. Does the trick. Run stock (1250lbs) + about 4k more in lead and additional bags depending on how many people
    That’s a sweet boat and a nice wave you are making with it.

Thanks. I love it. 1000hrs on her now. All I need, certainly not interested in paying 150k + for a replacement.

You have great shots el hefe, I wish I am that good too!

Hell yeah-

I prefer Wakeskating and Wakeboarding. Everyone else on the boat is fucking regular, so the wave is all wrong for me to get any good.

Name:	IMG_0026.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	459.1 KB 
ID:	372936
    My front yard, rockin an '88 15ft Boston Whaler and a '99 Nautique.

Name:	IMG_0168.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	372937
    what can I say, for 5 months out of the year this place does not suck

Felt good to get back out. Lake warmed up super fast too.

Name:	GPTempDownload (3).JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	374750
    5 yr old is stoked

Name:	GPTempDownload (1).jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	374751

Name:	GPTempDownload.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	374752

Got invited to go boarding n surfing next month. First time in almost 2 years and nursing an injury. Fkit man, let’s go!

Got out for first time of the year this week, too. No pics, but felt good to be on the board again. Picked up a few new boards over the winter to try out.

Killing it, el hefe. Way beyond anything I can do behind the boat.

Got out for the first day yesterday on Ririe reservoir.

4/3 wetsuit water temps but sure felt nice!
    Live Free or Die