Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Wakesurf

For my money, Axis makes the best wave/value boat. The wedge and surf gate are so much better than any other surf system IMO. Not the fit and finish of your Nautique, obviously.

If budget isn’t an issue than I like Malibu for the wake and Nautique or Supra for fit and finish.

Thanks fellas. Never heard of Axis, I'll have to check them out. I am in the used market as 150-200k is not in the budget. I could swing $100k for the right boat, or if there is some 0% financing over 20+ years I will go new.

For me it's about finding a local-ish dealer that's carries the brand so I can get shit taken care of when it needs taking care of. My days of doing all my own boat maintenance are behind me. I don't care as much about finish as I do about wake shape/performance/reliability.

Time to dive into a few new boat brands.

Axis is the “budget” brand from Malibu. You get the same surf system from them as you do on a Malibu but with fewer interior features.

You should be able to find a good used one for 100k easy.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions. My wife is the sales manager at the big boat dealership in Portland and knows basically all the other dealers around the US, and/or would give you a good deal on a used boat if you see any you like.

I haven't looked for a bit, but last year I was seeing '15 and' 16 23' Malibu Wakesetters with surf gates in the $65k range. That's where I'm looking when I get my next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Axis is the “budget” brand from Malibu. You get the same surf system from them as you do on a Malibu but with fewer interior features.

You should be able to find a good used one for 100k easy.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have questions. My wife is the sales manager at the big boat dealership in Portland and knows basically all the other dealers around the US, and/or would give you a good deal on a used boat if you see any you like.
    Awesome. I will definitely shoot you a pm though my wife says I'm not allowed to purchase anything until the house sells. So for now I have to sit tight, really hoping it sells quick so I can have the boat for summer.

Anyone have any recommendations for a crossover type boat in the 50k range. We have a malibu echelon and looking to upgrade to something that people can do a little surfing behind and I can still do some recreational skiing behind.

Quote Originally Posted by troth View Post
    Anyone have any recommendations for a crossover type boat in the 50k range. We have a malibu echelon and looking to upgrade to something that people can do a little surfing behind and I can still do some recreational skiing behind.
    If you want to stay in the Malibu family you can look at a VTX. Try to find one with surf gate and the wedge for the surf wave.

I think the older ones could be around 50 these days

I have a couple ski buddies that have a VTX. Really good for skiing and throws a great wave for it's size. Definitely feels smaller than the 23' wakesetter and fits way less people. I'm looking at one for my next boat.

Quote Originally Posted by phatty View Post
    I have a couple ski buddies that have a VTX. Really good for skiing and throws a great wave for it's size. Definitely feels smaller than the 23' wakesetter and fits way less people. I'm looking at one for my next boat.
    That’s what I have, too. My wife is a skier first, but we both like to surf. We rarely have a big crew, so it’s perfect. Between the wedge, surf gate and bags it puts out a really nice wake.

The Malibu forums imply the VTX hulls changed a decent amount over time, and as a result, the ski/wake performance has some changes as well. As we all know, forums can and cannot be accurate. What has your experience as I'm sort of interested myself?
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    The Malibu forums imply the VTX hulls changed a decent amount over time, and as a result, the ski/wake performance has some changes as well. As we all know, forums can and cannot be accurate. What has your experience as I'm sort of interested myself?
    My opinion based on riding behind a few different versions is that the ski wake has gotten slightly worse and the surf wake has gotten significantly better. How much of that is hull shape vs added weight, and the addition of a surf system I don't know.

I think if you are really picky about your ski wake you probably will have more opinions than people who are less sensitive to changes in the wake. I'm terrible at skiing, so it doesn't really matter what is going on back there.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    My opinion based on riding behind a few different versions is that the ski wake has gotten slightly worse and the surf wake has gotten significantly better. How much of that is hull shape vs added weight, and the addition of a surf system I don't know.

I think if you are really picky about your ski wake you probably will have more opinions than people who are less sensitive to changes in the wake. I'm terrible at skiing, so it doesn't really matter what is going on back there.
    I would agree with this. One friend has the first year with surf gates (2013 I think) and his skis noticeably better than my other friends 2022. Both are good but nothing like my in laws 2001 Pro Star 205.

Sounds like the VTX is what we are looking for, thanks. Now just need to find one that is somewhat close, not a whole lot comes up on boattrader or my near by boat dealers.

I have also been curious about the sport nautique 200, if anyone has one I would love to hear your experience.

I do have experience with the Sport Nautique 200. I looked at one to replace my Malibu Sunsetter LX. Its a direct drive ski boat with a tower. I liked it, but its basically the same boat I already have. I don't believe you can get surf options for it, so you'd be going old school with a ton of sacs and a shaper if you want to surf. I actually liked the wave behind my sunsetter better with the wedge down for surfing.

If you want a more modern crossover style boat, even though I haven't ridden behind one, I have to think the VTX would be a better fit. If you primarily ski, the 200 might work.
    Live Free or Die

Dumb question - is it worth attempting this behind a standard bowrider inboard boat? I've only skied but this looks like a lot of fun.

Shot in the dark but hit me up if anyone needs a lookout/2nd driver in the SLC area on their boat. Moved from back east and I miss going in the morning to ski with my dad. Will obvious throw down for fuel. Pretty flexible on hours.

My barefoot partner has a response and a vtx. The vtx wave sucks for slalom and is just ok for surf. We either foot off his response or my echelon. We rarely slalom... too hard on the body. Fwiw.

From what I have read is that the wakes get better on the crossover boats at 36 mph tournament speed but are not so great below that for skiing.

Strongly recommend trying the boats out first.

If I had more money and didn't have a neighbor with a Nautique g23, then I'd own the echelon and a surf boat. To big ifs that aren't going to happen anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    My barefoot partner has a response and a vtx. The vtx wave sucks for slalom and is just ok for surf. We either foot off his response or my echelon. We rarely slalom... too hard on the body. Fwiw.

From what I have read is that the wakes get better on the crossover boats at 36 mph tournament speed but are not so great below that for skiing.

Strongly recommend trying the boats out first.

If I had more money and didn't have a neighbor with a Nautique g23, then I'd own the echelon and a surf boat. To big ifs that aren't going to happen anytime soon.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    The VTX is "good" at 32mph+. It's not Response good but it's far better than almost any other V drive. I slalom behind one plenty and I'd be happy to have one as my only boat. I have a 2001 Sunsetter VLX which was their best skiing V drive until the VTX came out and the VTX is better in all aspects.

If you like to slalom but want to surf, it's best to have a quiver of boats. Buy an older, cheap pro star or Nautique and a V drive for surfing. If I didn't have to deal with storing boats, that's what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I do have experience with the Sport Nautique 200. I looked at one to replace my Malibu Sunsetter LX. Its a direct drive ski boat with a tower. I liked it, but its basically the same boat I already have. I don't believe you can get surf options for it, so you'd be going old school with a ton of sacs and a shaper if you want to surf. I actually liked the wave behind my sunsetter better with the wedge down for surfing.

If you want a more modern crossover style boat, even though I haven't ridden behind one, I have to think the VTX would be a better fit. If you primarily ski, the 200 might work.
    This is the Nautique I was referring to I'm guessing the seller just has the name incorrect https://boattrader.com/boat/2013-nau...e-200-8800777/

Been doing some "yacht" surfing behind my buddies 35footer double engine. Was dubious it would work with 2 engines with twin screws but I put my wake shaper on and it is super fun! Can go way back. Still surfing no wetsuits in the sunny okanagan.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GOPR0228_1696722304672.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	472652

Name:	GX010208_1694914413355.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	939.7 KB 
ID:	472653

Name:	GX010208_1694972677410.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	472654
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

1 more

Name:	GOPR0219_ALTA489593882583540735.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	472655
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

I always look forward to the el hefe surf posts! Love it. Most here have winterized, but we're supposed to have some sun next week, so I'm hoping to get out a bit more.