Shimano Brifter- front Cap or Cover?

Picking up a older pair of Shimano 105 brifters- probably around ~15 or so years ago (9 speed). The one front cap cover that sits just below the hood is missing. How easy is it to get a replacement? I've done a bit of searching (Ebay, Amazon both), but not sure if it is sold separately? Short of finding a old similar brifter (that is not all that expensive), or trying to maybe 3 D print one, any ideas suggestions or leads?Name:  Shimano 105 brifter front cap.PNG
Views: 1871
Size:  85.3 KB
    Last edited by RShea; 04-04-2021 at 06:41 AM.

Hens teeth, bro. Best bet is to find a junked pair on eBay for parts.

They look like ST-5510 (should be stamped under the hoods on the inside)
    If they are ST- 5510s the part number you're looking for is:
    Y-6GP 98070 Name Plate and fixing screw (https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...-5510-2171.pdf)

Or they could be ST 5500, if so the part number you're looking for is:
    Y-6B9 98120 RH name plate and front cover
    Y-6B9 98130 LH name plate and front cover
    (https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...0-CA-1934A.pdf)

Shimano Brifter- front Cap or Cover?

Looks like someone is finally 3D printing them and selling on eBay, but they sort of look like dog shit. Really poor edges and finish.

I used to rebuild dozens of old bikes every year for the bike swap, so I had a bunch of these pass through my garage. Check your model number and I’ll go through my parts bin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    They look like ST-5510 (should be stamped under the hoods on the inside)
    If they are ST- 5510s the part number you're looking for is:
    Y-6GP 98070 Name Plate and fixing screw (https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...-5510-2171.pdf)

Or they could be ST 5500, if so the part number you're looking for is:
    Y-6B9 98120 RH name plate and front cover
    Y-6B9 98130 LH name plate and front cover
    (https://si.shimano.com/api/publish/s...0-CA-1934A.pdf)
    THANK YOU!!

You nailed it. I posted the photo from the guy selling them while they were on their way and he did not state the exact model (just 9 speed), you are 100% right as they just arrived and first thing I did was pull back the rubber hoods to see the exact ST55x0 series number. They are the first listing ST-5510.

That may help in my search and maybe get lucky sourcing the black one. Or get a silver and do some painting even.

I'm missing one on my 15 yr old CAAD 7 , I laid the bike down gently in some loose gravel at low speed, not worrying about it,

just going 23 to 25 mm bigger tires help the handling a bunch
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Looks like someone is finally 3D printing them and selling on eBay, but they sort of look like dog shit. Really poor edges and finish.

I used to rebuild dozens of old bikes every year for the bike swap, so I had a bunch of these pass through my garage. Check your model number and I’ll go through my parts bin.
    I received them and in fact it is the ST-5510 black model. If you get a chance to check you parts bin for a cover, that would be great. Cover and a screw would be even better, but assume I can get a screw that will work somewhere. Or if you have the silver, I'd take that and do some painting even...

Do you have a link to the Ebay listing for the 3D printing. Maybe now that things are opening up, I can check about 3D printing options (our library has a 3D Printing machine, but had been closed for many months.)
    Last edited by RShea; 04-04-2021 at 07:21 AM.