Competitive Cyclist - Opinions on buying a bike from them?

Looking to make an upgrade but the bike I’m looking for is out of stock everywhere. CC has a prior year frameset marked down and looks like they have all the parts I wanted in stock.

Would rather go the LBS route but right now CC is the only option. If you bought from them were you happy with the purchase? How are they as far as assembling the bike? Packaging? Any other gotchas?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

they have been doing bike stuff for a while. I"m sure they are fine.

ask them for a price for the frame + parts and a "fully built" price too.

Owned and run by Backcountry unless that’s changed. Usually Backcountry has the same items.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Owned and run by Backcountry unless that’s changed. Usually Backcountry has the same items.
    Why'd you go and have to make this an eight page long thread.

I bought an Ibis from them back in 2015 and they were great. Not sure if BC had bought them yet but they were super helpful and accommodating. I got a great deal and was very happy with the service received. Broke my seat post clamp on the first ride and they sent me a new one the was actually an upgrade right away.

Bike arrived ready to go, just had to assemble wheels and bars/brakes.

I've bought a couple of bikes from Backcountry / Competitive. They used to have pretty good cashback offers through Active Junky etc, so look for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I bought my most recent bike from them- 4 years ago.

LBS did not have the same build and was 15-20% higher. I do all my own wrenching so that support wasn't a factor.

I am satisfied.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I’ve used their bike builder and bought semi complete (everything but fork and wheels). It was a good deal. This was for a Bronson V1 years ago.

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I bought a complete bike from them in 2016. Easiest bike purchase ever - free shipping, bike was 90% assembled and was put together very well. I would definitely buy from CC again.

Thanks for the input...probably pull the trigger today.

Pics or it yadda yadda....
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I also bought an Ibis in '15. The bike came mostly assembled ziptied on a thick cardboard, complete instructions on using the box as a table to put it together. Riding in under a half hour. Customer service was great, would buy again if they had what I wanted.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Yeah, I also bought an Ibis from them back in '15. I think they did well, the only issues I had with the bike were due to my choices. The worst offender was that the Ibis HDR 650b size medium had a fucking 483mm ST length, and I have short legs, so the saddle always felt a quarter inch too high. But the length of the bike was right, and the sales rep asked me to double check my measurements, so that one's really on me. Oh and I had them put High Rollers on front/rear cause they sounded good, which sucked up and down.

They did very well for me. I went to mike local shop to order and they went out of business. Ordered what I wanted on an ibis and was very happy on build, discounted price and shipping.

Open a chat with them and tell them everything you want. They put it in the cart for you and sometimes give a discount. Ask.
    I <heart> hot tele-moms

My LBS didn't carry the bike I wanted. Bought my bike from them. Used Active Junky and got like $250 back. Was really easy. One one weird thing that may have been the shipper's error, but they left an expensive bike in a box on my porch all day.

Not CC, but I bought my last 2 bikes from Pro Bike Supply after my LBS had a long wait. Great experience and will but from them again, but you have to call to get inventory. Their website blows.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Why'd you go and have to make this an eight page long thread.
    Fuck backcountry.com and all of their associated companies.

"fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

You'll get 10% cash back on CC via active junky right now - I got an email about it earlier today
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Activejunkie’s / BC/CC sometimes does not give cash back on mtb frames or complete bikes. Read the fine print

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by jhyatt View Post
    Open a chat with them and tell them everything you want. They put it in the cart for you and sometimes give a discount. Ask.
    Just to echo this- for an e-tail sales business they were very accommodating on customizing complete bikes. I was able to swap specific fork models they had in stock, stem length, bar type / length etc. They did this for me on a bike that was already discounted with the swap parts coming in at really fair pricing so I ended up only paying like $150 more than the configuration they originally specc’ed.

Packaging was standard and properly done (frame was well secured to the backboard to keep the chainring well above the box bottom, derailleur removed, arrived fine.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

You can always pick up in person if you drive to SLC. Pre covid they always had a mechanic there. I’d guess they still go as someone is prepping the bikes.
    I have found them easier to work through I issued with than my local shops.

Former employee of close to 10 years of BC/CC, good friends with the shop manager and have connections over at CS. They do a damned fine job of getting bikes assembled and shipped. Mechanics are paid well, work on only new bikes assembly, and not just 'assembly' but detail oriented builds, especially on the custom options.

CS team is top notch and they will work with you on full build where needed, help find alternate parts in stock, and generally be able to do better on price on everything if you're having them build it. No build fee for full complete or even frame plus BB/HS/crank/etc installs, partial builds, etc.
    They will stand by their builds, shipping, errors, etc and make things right.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Pics or it yadda yadda....
    2020 Pivot Vault...frame was discounted by $800 and it looks better than the 2021s IMO. Took 2-3 calls to work out the parts...was trying to duplicate the 2021 team force/x01 factory build but had to upgrade/change a couple of things because everything wasn't in stock.

Hopefully it's done being built last next week. When done it will look something like this:

Name:  pivot-vault.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  147.3 KB

Bike arrived yesterday and I was happy...packaged up safe and secure and once assembled it road fine. Of course the UPS driver leaves the box right out front...no risk of
    anyone taking that. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7031.JPG 
Views:	67 
Size:	174.0 KB 
ID:	371822Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7035.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	175.4 KB 
ID:	371823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7036.JPG 
Views:	53 
Size:	195.8 KB 
ID:	371824

Last edited by Colorado_Freeskier; 04-17-2021 at 04:17 PM.