Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    Finally...how do you make the Cochise 106 into a ski with a 24-m turn radius and make it more “meh” on piste? The Gen 1 and Gen 2 versions skied on piste far better IMO.
    That is weird and annoying, and also one of the reasons I'm trying the Corvus 1st (along with the fact that I'm a cheap). I like Gen 2 more on piste than Gen 1. The Carbon tips work for me on flat snow. Some of the fastest groomer laps I've ever done were on the Gen 2 Cochise.

This thread does have me checking local craigslist for people dumping the OG's. Everyone should try a pair. They're in the top 3 of skis a regret selling. In certain marginal conditions they are unmatched. I should have paired them with something livelier rather than trying to find a perfection that may not be possible.

Well I for one am happy to see this ski get a lukewarm review from our leader. Now I don't have to chase a ski I REALLY don't need, having recently bought the M102 and K108.

I agree with you what you have described above. The new 106 is a good ski...for all the reasons you laid out above. I get why you like it.

What is funny, is that if the ski didn’t have the the Cochise name on it and instead you told me this was a new ski called the Rustler 10.5, I’d probably have less bias and more objective praise.

Finally...how do you make the Cochise 106 into a ski with a 24-m turn radius and make it more “meh” on piste? The Gen 1 and Gen 2 versions skied on piste far better IMO.

Maybe I should just sell my 106’s and buy some LP105’s/MPro Prorider 105 Pros for Pros.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I am new to this thread. Like most of you I love skis and own quite a few pairs which I am lucky enough to ski many days a year whatever the conditions.

Glad to hear to that the new Cochise is still burly but lively enough to handle variable snow off slopes on low tide days. Without having to size up to keep things manageable in tight spots or steeps.

That’s what I what I gather from online reviews on and feedbacks here and what I wanted to hear (thank you BM for your R10.5 assessment that hit a sweet spot for me). Will be getting one for next year and report back.

For all other purposes I have better candidates in my garage. Better this way that one ski that does it all like the OG isn’t it ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gweilo View Post
    For all other purposes I have better candidates in my garage. Better this way that one ski that does it all like the OG isn’t it ?
    If I can run back to my truck and swap skis at lunch, sure. Quivers are fun. Mine is ridiculous. It’s more like a demo fleet right now.

However, if I traveled to ski, that magical all-around high-performance ski is EXACTLY what I want. Or if I just waited an hour for a gondola upload just to wait another hour for high alpine terrain to open, I need a ski that can manage groomers and more relaxed terrain while I chomp at the bit for the exciting and spicy terrain to open.

Currently the M102, K108, MFree108, Enforcer 104 Free and Rustler 11 are all capable of that. The OG Cochise was, too. Maybe the Cochise 106 makes that list. Not convinced yet.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

If I can run back to my truck and swap skis at lunch, sure. Quivers are fun. Mine is ridiculous. It’s more like a demo fleet right now.

However, if I traveled to ski, that magical all-around high-performance ski is EXACTLY what I want. Or if I just waited an hour for a gondola upload just to wait another hour for high alpine terrain to open, I need a ski that can manage groomers and more relaxed terrain while I chomp at the bit for the exciting and spicy terrain to open.

Currently the M102, K108, MFree108, Enforcer 104 Free and Rustler 11 are all capable of that. The OG Cochise was, too. Maybe the Cochise 106 makes that list. Not convinced yet.
    What is your favorite of all those for once off-piste gets heavy heavy from sun or rain, and you don’t want to charge?
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by Hood26 View Post
    What is your favorite of all those for once off-piste gets heavy heavy from sun or rain, and you don’t want to charge?
    So far, I have only had the Volkls (M102 and K108) out in those conditions. Both a fine, but can be a little sluggish at slower speeds in that kind of snow. The tails break loose pretty easy though.

I'm guessing that the Cochise 106 (185-cm) might end up being better since it is quite agile off-piste and surprisingly loose in the tail given the lack of significant tail rocker. Don't let the Cochise name fool you, it can be a quick and agile ski.

I might add the shorter length of the MFree108 (182). The 192 is a lot of ski and wants to move. It certainly is quite agile with some energy behind it, though.

So far, I have only had the Volkls (M102 and K108) out in those conditions. Both a fine, but can be a little sluggish at slower speeds in that kind of snow. The tails break loose pretty easy though.

I'm guessing that the Cochise 106 (185-cm) might end up being better since it is quite agile off-piste and surprisingly loose in the tail given the lack of significant tail rocker. Don't let the Cochise name fool you, it can be a quick and agile ski.

I might add the shorter length of the MFree108 (182). The 192 is a lot of ski and wants to move. It certainly is quite agile with some energy behind it, though.
    It’s quite interesting that the 185 Cochise seems less ski that the 183 bonafide. I am curious

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

. . . if the ski didn’t have the the Cochise name on it and instead you told me this was a new ski called the Rustler 10.5, I’d probably have less bias and more objective praise.
    I doubt it. You'd notice the lack of tail rocker and extra weight before you even put a binding on it . . .

So, this is "my" thread - I guess I can derail it if I want.

Re: The LP105's.
    I assume this refers to the older Legend Pro Rider 105, not the newer version the ProRider 105 or the same ski, but renamed M-Pro 105.
    I've never managed to ski any of these, but they look interesting.

Any comparison between the OG Cochise and the M-Pro 105?
    The blister review is good, but they also look to have quite a lot of camber - so I'm not sure how I'd like them. But they do look like serious missiles.

[Edited to add: The M-Pro 105 ONLY comes in 192cm - so there's that.]

I bought a pair of LP105's years ago and sold them without mounting them because they had so much camber and were so heavy. I don't mind a heavy ski but those things are different. They weren't all that stiff though. I think I went with OG Cochises instead, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    So, this is "my" thread - I guess I can derail it if I want.

Re: The LP105's.
    I assume this refers to the older Legend Pro Rider 105, not the newer version the ProRider 105 or the same ski, but renamed M-Pro 105.
    I've never managed to ski any of these, but they look interesting.

Any comparison between the OG Cochise and the M-Pro 105?
    The blister review is good, but they also look to have quite a lot of camber - so I'm not sure how I'd like them. But they do look like serious missiles.

[Edited to add: The M-Pro 105 ONLY comes in 192cm - so there's that.]
    Wait...there is a very active and healthy Dynastar thread where you can ask about that ski. Afraid of the rabid Dynastar fan boi’s over there?

Wait...there is a very active and healthy Dynastar thread where you can ask about that ski. Afraid of the rabid Dynastar fan boi’s over there?
    Ha! Good enough suggestion - though the last half-a-dozen pages of the Dynastar thread don't really have any comparisons between the Cochise and the LP105s.

[Edited to add: I searched all 44 pages - while the Cochise was mentioned a few times, there's very little actually comparing the LP105 to the Cochise. But most of the mentions of the Cochise had it winning between the Cham etc. Again, not much directly about the LP105.]

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    What is /was wrong with the "blue" period Cochise? I like it. It took a bit to get dialed in but I think doing so made me a better skier.
    A few posts I've read the last few days prompts this late reply... (I re-read the thread and it's interesting going back...)

I picked up some Cochise 108's in 192 - we'll see how nuts that gets. (I'm 5'7" and like 145# and older than Bandit by a few - I won't say by how much. I missed a lot of years skiing in my 20's, 30's and 40's - so I still have my knees and haven't lost my stupidity - so I keep turning up the volume.) I've skied the OG Cochise in multiple lengths, though not in 192 (or whatever it was).

There's nothing, IMO, "wrong" with the carbon Cochise. But it's definitely not as smooth and "on-rails" feeling. It doesn't break out sideways as easy either. But it has a bit more bite on firmer stuff. Frankly, I really LOVE that damp on-rails feel, so I love the OG Cochise. But it's hard to find OG Cochises these days.

The OG Bodacious (and the more recent black version) has that feel too, and dang if it isn't like crack. I picked up a second pair of 186 Bodacious - in the old 2012 red/gold/stars top-sheet for like $100 out of N Cal at the end of this year. (Woohoo! Stocked with backups, so I should be set for a while.)

But all that said, I probably split 90% of my days between the OG Bodacious and the 108 Carbon Cochise. When I want to go super fast and simply mash everything in front of me (little kids and grannies included), the Bodacious gets the task. The OG Cochise would get that task more often, if I had one. The Carbon Cochise just isn't quite there - it's a little more twitchy and not quite as bomber. It's 85%, but still just not quite there. When I'm hanging on by my fingernails - I want that OG feel.

Funny enough I picked up an OG Katana this year too - which I'd never skied before (183, I think) - and we haven't really clicked. I'm not yet ready to send it off to someone else, since I felt I never gave it a fair chance - only spending a part of a handful of days on it. But it's not as good as any of the Cochises. IMO, not even close. Perhaps that opinion could change with more days on it, I dunno - but I doubt it.

Hopefully this year I can get some time on the new 106 Cochise (if we have some free demo days this year - I'm too cheap and lazy to pay for the privilege) and see what I think. (To that end, I'd be totally in for anyone that wants to try anything in my quiver for some time on the 106 too.)

I need to actually write up a "full" review - but here's a quick take.

I have:
    OG Cochises in 185. (And have skied most all sizes, all except the 193)
    Carbon Cochise's (108's) in 185 and 192
    Cochise 106 in 192

(I spent time the last year, scrounging Craigslist etc for the OG and 106's. I also sized up this year to 19X's. Going from 185 to 192's is a very large boost in stability - and if I'd known how much I'd like it, I'd have done this way sooner.)

I picked up a nearly perfect pair of 106's recently in 192cm.

And I've skied both the Carbon 108's and the 106 back to back - A/B'ing them.

And frankly, I'm not that impressed with the 106's. It's not like they're bad - at all. They're actually quite good.
    But when we're talking small differences, those minor differences stand out.

I love the OG's because they're loose and easy to drift. If the snow is funky, crusty etc - it's really easy to simply drift them as desired. If you want, though, you can put them up on edge and carve through crud. (That's not generally my style, but sometimes.) The OG isn't as precise, as good on really firm crust. It does ok as it gets firmer, but heck, once it's pretty firm, I'm going to go to something else - so I don't care. But yeah, if it's really firm, the OG Cochise is going to slide around and suck.

The Carbon 108's do way better on firm stuff. But that also makes them a little more squirrely on rutted/packed/wet snow. They're a little more pingy - deflect a bit more, and get bounced around, because the tips are hooking up on irregularities easier and tracking "weird." The tips and tails get hung up in crust, or heavy mank easier. So, they're way harder to break into a drift. To get them to come around, you're going to really have to force them around. This isn't my style, usually, and so when that happens, I either go to the OG, or the Bodacious. Before I give the impression I don't like the Carbon 108's, let me say; I actually like this ski a lot! You just have to know where it's not going to do so well.

The 106's, IMO, fail on both accounts. They don't feel as strong as the Carbon 108's or the OG's. They perhaps don't get hung up in funky snow quite as badly as the Carbon 108's - but are not nearly as good as the OG. And yet, they're not nearly as good, IMO, on firmer snow. The short is: they drift less well than the OG, and fail to have the bite of the Carbon 108's. I'd far prefer they went way back to the OG style. But they lost some of the advantages of the Carbon 108's while never really gaining the advantages of the OG.

I'll keep my 106's (at least until I can put my hands on a OG 193) - I'm happy with them. But I think Blizzard did the "split the baby" thing. What they did isn't going to make either camp happy. It's still a very solid ski, with a very high (if not quite as high as the OG or Carbon 108) speed-limit. I can make it work just fine.

If I had a pair of 193 OG's they'd come out before either. My OG 185's do come out and I *really* love them, but the extra length of the 192's is enough to keep the Carbon 108's in circulation. If I had to pick one of the two (Carbon 108 or 106's) I'd probably get rid of the 106's before the Carbon 108's.

Perhaps I'll change my mind a bit with more days on them - I've only gotten a few so far - but I'd rate it as a very good ski, but with multiple siblings that I'd pick before it. (And yet, I'd pick any Cochise before almost anything else.)

I may come back and write something more detailed at some point in the future, but getting something written down and posted beats a perfect review that never happens...

-Greg
    Last edited by gregorys; 05-06-2022 at 09:49 AM.

Love the review Greg.

I’ve given the 106 a lot of time and while it’s a good ski I also prefer the previous two models. It isn’t as aggressive as the carbon108 and not as drifty and damp as the OG. Really boring on groomers aswell IMO.

However in soft chalk they are fucking phenomenal. They dont shine in variable shit, but on those amazing bluebird days when the snow is soft and edge-able man can they lay tracks off piste.

I need to actually write up a "full" review - but here's a quick take.

I have:
    OG Cochises in 185. (And have skied most all sizes, all except the 193)
    Carbon Cochise's (108's) in 185 and 192
    Cochise 106 in 192

(I spent time the last year, scrounging Craigslist etc for the OG and 106's. I also sized up this year to 19X's. Going from 185 to 192's is a very large boost in stability - and if I'd known how much I'd like it, I'd have done this way sooner.)

I picked up a nearly perfect pair of 106's recently in 192cm.

And I've skied both the Carbon 108's and the 106 back to back - A/B'ing them.

And frankly, I'm not that impressed with the 106's. It's not like they're bad - at all. They're actually quite good.
    But when we're talking small differences, those minor differences stand out.

I love the OG's because they're loose and easy to drift. If the snow is funky, crusty etc - it's really easy to simply drift them as desired. If you want, though, you can put them up on edge and carve through crud. (That's not generally my style, but sometimes.) The OG isn't as precise, as good on really firm crust. It does ok as it gets firmer, but heck, once it's pretty firm, I'm going to go to something else - so I don't care. But yeah, if it's really firm, the OG Cochise is going to slide around and suck.

The Carbon 108's do way better on firm stuff. But that also makes them a little more squirrely on rutted/packed/wet snow. They're a little more pingy - deflect a bit more, and get bounced around, because the tips are hooking up on irregularities easier and tracking "weird." The tips and tails get hung up in crust, or heavy mank easier. So, they're way harder to break into a drift. To get them to come around, you're going to really have to force them around. This isn't my style, usually, and so when that happens, I either go to the OG, or the Bodacious. Before I give the impression I don't like the Carbon 108's, let me say; I actually like this ski a lot! You just have to know where it's not going to do so well.

The 106's, IMO, fail on both accounts. They don't feel as strong as the Carbon 106's or the OG's. They perhaps don't get hung up in funky snow quite as badly as the Carbon 108's - but are not nearly as good as the OG. And yet, they're not nearly as good, IMO, on firmer snow. The short is: they drift less well than the OG, and fail to have the bite of the Carbon 108's. I'd far prefer they went way back to the OG style. But they lost some of the advantages of the Carbon 108's while never really gaining the advantages of the OG.

I'll keep my 106's (at least until I can put my hands on a OG 193) - I'm happy with them. But I think Blizzard did the "split the baby" thing. What they did isn't going to make either camp happy. It's still a very solid ski, with a very high (if not quite as high as the OG or Carbon 108) speed-limit. I can make it work just fine.

If I had a pair of 193 OG's they'd come out before either. My OG 185's do come out and I *really* love them, but the extra length of the 192's is enough to keep the Carbon 108's in circulation. If I had to pick one of the two (Carbon 108 or 106's) I'd probably get rid of the 106's before the Carbon 108's.

Perhaps I'll change my mind a bit with more days on them - I've only gotten a few so far - but I'd rate it as a very good ski, but with multiple siblings that I'd pick before it. (And yet, I'd pick any Cochise before almost anything else.)

I may come back and write something more detailed at some point in the future, but getting something written down and posted beats a perfect review that never happens...

-Greg
    How often do you get a shop tune on your OGs (or even hand tune)? I notice that my skis are way driftier until I get a shop tune with a nice machine. Even hand tunes don't quite get it as precise and cravy again. I think people underestimate how much a difference the tune makes when it comes to driftiness. This includes getting the bases flat too instead of convex from edgewear (making it driftier).

Not sure about the Carbon 108, but it could be more torsionally stiff, giving it that stronger feel.

When I worked for Blister, I would take the skis to a shop I know that had good repeatability on their tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    How often do you get a shop tune on your OGs (or even hand tune)? I notice that my skis are way driftier until I get a shop tune with a nice machine. Even hand tunes don't quite get it as precise and cravy again. I think people underestimate how much a difference the tune makes when it comes to driftiness. This includes getting the bases flat too instead of convex from edgewear (making it driftier).

Not sure about the Carbon 108, but it could be more torsionally stiff, giving it that stronger feel.

When I worked for Blister, I would take the skis to a shop I know that had good repeatability on their tunes.
    That's a good point.
    I do my own work on most all my skis - check base geo. with a flat-edge - file/flatten as required and dress edges.
    But the 106's didn't get that look - especially since they were so clean/new/pristine. I was kind of in a hurry to get them mounted and out skiing.

And yeah, I know, just because they're new doesn't mean they're right.

However all the other skis I'm A/Bing to or comparing with did get checked and tuned.

I'll check them when I get a chance. (But given everything, I think they're skiing as designed/intended.)

2020-21 Cochise 106

Glad to see I wasn’t the only one who loves the OG Cochise and didn’t quite go head over heels for the 106. Agree that it is a good ski for certain conditions but boy, there are some other great options out there vying for attention in that quiver spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post

Just a quick follow-up.
    Went back and checked for flatness - and they're flat.
    One thing that probably would help would be detuning edges. I should note though that all my skis get the same treatment. Namely that I never detune - so the OG/Carbon/106's all have the same tune on them - edges and bases set to 1/1 and not detuned.

So, yeah, I still think the 106 kind of loses the best characteristics of both the OG and Carbon versions. (Not extra damp and drifty like the OG and not as strong and precise as the Carbons.)
    Again, it's not that I don't like them. I do. But I think, in trying to make a ski that "does everything," they made a ski that's substantially less exceptional in any one area - and that made the OG or the Carbon stand-out.

One thing that probably would help would be detuning edges. I should note though that all my skis get the same treatment. Namely that I never detune - so the OG/Carbon/106's all have the same tune on them - edges and bases set to 1/1 and not detuned.
    My skis get the same treatment. ie. I don't like to detune. After 5 or so days on the 192 106 though I caved, picked up a gummy stone, and detuned tips and tails to contact points. While it did make the tail more releasable, and the tip less likely to grab when shutting down speed, it didn't wildly change my opinion of the ski. I am with Pretzel above, great in 2D chalky steeps and open bowls, and boring on groomers. I also found the suspension to be good in the 192, and they were comfy going straight, but as the snow started to 3D I liked em less, bottom feeders for sure. All that to say, I pulled the binders as, for my preferences and where I ski, there are skis in the category I like more. Perhaps if I lived in a lower snow area and primarily skied off piste (and groomers weren't an end of run mandatory requirement), I would have liked these more. My 2 cents.

Just a quick follow-up.
    Went back and checked for flatness - and they're flat.

So, yeah, I still think the 106 kind of loses the best characteristics of both the OG and Carbon versions. (Not extra damp and drifty like the OG and not as strong and precise as the Carbons.)
    Again, it's not that I don't like them. I do. But I think, in trying to make a ski that "does everything," they made a ski that's substantially less exceptional in any one area - and that made the OG or the Carbon stand-out.
    I agree with you

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Chiming in on a late season 106 demo. The og 193 is one of my all time favorite skis. Loose, damp and a variable snow crusher, fast and fun on groom too. I went through a couple of pairs. They were below avg in powder though, the tips just didn’t plane. I also liked the next generation 192, which I skied for a couple of seasons. Much improved in deeper snow, more edge hold, definitely a more precise directional ski, but not a fun basher by any means. A bit of a Jack of all trades, but a master in none. The newer bonafides ski very similar.

The 106 in 192 felt like a watered down version of both previous generations. Maybe they were going for a more well rounded quiver of 1 ski? I could see it as a good pnw/west travel ski, but to me it was somewhat boring in most conditions. It just didn’t have the power or pop of earlier versions.

There are better options in that category and arguments could be made the Rustler 11 is one of them. The og moment commander 108 moved me away from cochises, the new version will most likely keep me away forever.

Man I totally agree again. I feel like the B97 is very much like the 192 carbon tip Cochise. About the same stiffness except the B97s tips are more supple and a more energetic tail. They have more rubber v carbon so heavier and damper, but clear siblings.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I'm going to pop in again and give an update. Perhaps I'll have time to come back and write something more extensive.

My last three ski days were spent almost exclusively on the OG Cochise 193cm, the Carbon Cochise 108 192cm and the new Cochise 106 192cm.
    I skied all three A/B/C over a few days.

I like the 106's more than my prior posts indicate.

The short is this;
    The OGs (at least in 193 seem to have more tip/tail splay than I remember. (Perhaps there's a bit less in the 185's - I dunno.) That makes them looser, and that's both good and bad. I love that loose feel, but in less soft snow, that extra looseness feels less confident. (Realize that in all of these descriptions, I'm looking for ways to distinguish these skis apart. The differences are quite small. And I'd totally, and I mean *TOTALLY* recommend *any* of the three for anyone that likes a real charger.) But in softer conditions the OG will seriously rock. Spring smush will be awesome.

When it gets a little more dicey - icy, rutted, more variable - especially on the firmer side, the Carbon 108's excel. They are definitely not as loose and smeary. But conversely, there's more precision there, more support at the tips and tails.

The 106's - where I've knocked them is they don't do "loose" as well as the OG's and "precise" as well as the 108's. And that's all true. But if you didn't have the OG or the Carbon 108's? Well, they'd be a solid ski to try. If you liked either the OG or the Carbon 108's these will be a new feel. I think in a few days, you may well come to like them quite a lot, as long as you can let go of what you'd have expected from the prior version you had. These won't be as stellar in the best ways as either. But they're still very good. I could totally live with the 106's if I didn't have either the Carbons or the OG's. If I could only keep two. Probably I'd keep the OG and the 106's at this point. There'd be a few places I'd miss the precision of the 108's, but I could totally live with that without any regret.

The TLDR; version is.

If you liked the Cochise (and left the fold) and want another pair, the 106's are good. They won't be quite as good as the very best attributes of either the OG or 108, but they're a bit more versatile. They are still *very* solid skis and I'd recommend them without reservation. (You might not like them, but it's not like they gave up that much ground to either.)

If you have the OG, the 106's would be good to add. They certainly overlap, but both have their strengths.

If you have the 108's - I wouldn't replace the 108's with these, unless the 108 Cochise is dying and you need a replacement. But if you found them dirt cheap, it's kind of nice to have both.

One final note. The OG skied quite a lot shorter than the length might indicate. The 106 also skis shorter, though not as much as the OG. If you're on the line about what size, I'd certainly consider longer.
    I definitely don't belong to the big and heavy club (5'7" 140#) and the 192's rock.

Glad you are enjoying the Cochise 106. I liked it off trail and in soft conditions. A solid ski for the right conditions. I feel like the Cochise is on its last leg of the product cycle. Wouldn’t be surprised to see it dropped from the lineup. Seems like I see more OG models versus follow on iterations.