Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

2020-21 Cochise 106

Has anyone actually skied these?
    I've heard a few incidental reports, but nothing much more than that. (Perhaps I've missed posts discussing them, I dunno.)

I've heard that it's more like the OG Cochise - which was very composed, damp, and cruised through everything, IME. (Much like the OG Bodacious.)

How does it compare to the OG Cochise 108 and the more recent Carbon tip/tail versions?

I've seen that thread and read most of it, but don't recall much of anything about the new Cochise in it.
    There's nothing in the page you linked to that I can find.

I was suggesting you use that thread for your question. We have some really good long threads as an info resource on generally relevant brands....like Praxis

My 185’s should arrive Tuesday. We will see what kind of snow I get to try them in before lift-services skiing is done.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Murdering slush piles tells me a lot about a ski, frankly.
    If they bash well, I'll probably like them!

I'll be eagerly awaiting your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by gregorys View Post
    Murdering slush piles tells me a lot about a ski, frankly.
    If they bash well, I'll probably like them!

I'll be eagerly awaiting your thoughts!
    I didn’t get to ski my 192 a lot, but I thought they skied similar to the gen 2 cochise.
    Easier to release the tail sure, but still has that carbon tip feel like the last one.
    I.e. don’t feel like the bodacious or the OG Cochise. Still a good ski tho.

Also did not like the 3* side which is stock. Re-tuned to 1/1 and the ski was much funner offpiste.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit Man View Post
    My 185’s should arrive Tuesday. We will see what kind of snow I get to try them in before lift-services skiing is done.
    Very interested to hear your thoughts. They’re on my list to pick up but am on the fence and I don’t like demoing skis.

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    Very interested to hear your thoughts. They’re on my list to pick up but am on the fence and I don’t like demoing skis.
    Curious too. Have to decide between those and B97 in 183. Considering the current (crazy) deals here with the resorts being closed I won’t get to demo them so intel is welcome !

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

How does it compare to the OG Cochise 108 and the more recent Carbon tip/tail versions?
    Sorry I suck at reviews but can probably help you out. Here is a couple of links to some of my thoughts. You will find more discussion about the 106 in the first link as well.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...48#post5888548

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...54#post6196654

post up any other specific questions you may have, currently the 106 is my daily driver.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Makes perfect sense, Eluder.

I'm on the hunt for a pair to add to my Charger Library.

@Eluder
    Thanks.

IMO, it sounds like a little less charger than the Carbon ones (and substantially less than the OG), and a bit more floaty than the OGs. I'm not sure I love that direction. I want them more charger, and steam-roller-ly like the OG. I'm not sure I care a lot about float. If I want more float, I'll ski something else. Plus, now that I'm skiing a 185, and I'm almost exactly your size, I float just fine in PNW snow on the Cochise. Even then, I'll just break out something bigger if I *really* need more float.

In short, I want a *more* specialized "kick-your-ass" ski, not less. And I know that probably doesn't make financial sense for anyone to make - but I can wish, right? (I'd like a pony too.)

Anyone else, please chip in!

@Eluder
    Thanks.

IMO, it sounds like a little less charger than the Carbon ones (and substantially less than the OG), and a bit more floaty than the OGs. I'm not sure I love that direction. I want them more charger, and steam-roller-ly like the OG. I'm not sure I care a lot about float. If I want more float, I'll ski something else. Plus, now that I'm skiing a 185, and I'm almost exactly your size, I float just fine in PNW snow on the Cochise. Even then, I'll just break out something bigger if I *really* need more float.

In short, I want a *more* specialized "kick-your-ass" ski, not less. And I know that probably doesn't make financial sense for anyone to make - but I can wish, right? (I'd like a pony too.)

See what I mean, I am not good at reviewing.

They are still a damp chargy ski like the OG, just better in spots the OG lacked. One common complaint of the OG was it submarined. This is no pow ski, I just find it better in soft snow but I have other skis for that purpose. It still likes big fast turns and blows through the shit while maybe being just slightly livelier than the OG, my old ones have like 250-300 days on them at this point so im going off of memory here. I felt the old ski really only kicked your ass when you got in the back seat. Not that these can't take you for a ride but it's not a guarantee like it use to be. I am not sure if a better spring ski exists, the 106 trenches with confidence at mach speed at the end of the day when its all cut up.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1617752013.194245.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	249.1 KB 
ID:	370644

Cochise mounted to a Cochise. At least they look good together.

Planning to get out on these Thursday after we get a late blast of winter.

185 106’s mounted with Salomon Warden 13 MNC demos using gregorys’ mounting template.

^^^ Didn't we trade bindings? I'll bet those are "my" bindings too huh?!
    I'll be glad to ski them, just to make sure they're safe for the general public!

That's a whole lotta orange there!
    Sweet looking though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    See what I mean, I am not good at reviewing.
    I thought you did fine.

They are still a damp chargy ski like the OG, just better in spots the OG lacked. One common complaint of the OG was it submarined.
    I am not sure if a better spring ski exists, the 106 trenches with confidence at mach speed at the end of the day when its all cut up.
    Yeah, I know I'm in the PNW and we don't really even know what "Pow" is - but the OG floated just fine for me - it certainly wasn't super-float, but more than good enough.

The better spring ski is, IMO, the OG Bodacious.
    I skied them from hard groomer to end of day mash the other day and they were just totally bomber. Yeah, they're not intended to rail groomers at 70, but they do it well enough. (At least I didn't die.)

^^^ Didn't we trade bindings? I'll bet those are "my" bindings too huh?!
    I'll be glad to ski them, just to make sure they're safe for the general public!

That's a whole lotta orange there!
    Sweet looking though.
    We did trade bindings but those ended up on my Enforcer 110’s and 104’s. These are a brand new pair since I am running low.

I would say that the cochise 106 is a solid, no frills ski. I've got about a half dozen days on my 106's 185cm on only melt/freeze spring time snow. No dry snow yet but I'm sure they are going to be great. I've had in my quiver for the last 6 years the blue/orange bull version in the 193cm. Other than maybe a little more maneuverability due to the shorter length, I don't feel like they are any less charger. The 106 cochise has less and also a smoother tip rocker profile and also less tall rocker.

The shortening of length has been a bit of an experiment that I am liking. 6' and 220lbs, 59 y.o. not willing to give up charger skis quite yet but doing the sizing down thing instead. I sized down to Bodacious 186cm, have the Brahma 88 187cm and now the 106 as part of my quiver. Flipcore fan boy I guess. I had and sold the R11, it didn't do it for me. I guess my style would be control gs through all snow types, and all three have a similar feel for that, build construction for the three being similar. My hill in the east has great high speed cruising, not that best tree skiing which is fine. If you want playful and a ski that pivots I think I would probably look elsewhere. The 106 wants to smoothly carve through all conditions.

Someday I would like to try the Volkl M102 and K108 to compare. They seem to be a little more sexy at the moment.

185 106’s mounted with Salomon Warden 13 MNC demos using gregorys’ mounting template.
    Looking good very curious abt your take on those !

@Eluder
    Thanks.

Get an LP105

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Slightly off topic.. so there's a few of us skiing that boot inbounds. I bought mine to tour in but my Mach1 MV leak so fucking bad I just ski the Cochise boot all the time. I think it's almost perfect as an inbounds boot. Curious what others think.

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    Slightly off topic.. so there's a few of us skiing that boot inbounds. I bought mine to tour in but my Mach1 MV leak so fucking bad I just ski the Cochise boot all the time. I think it's almost perfect as an inbounds boot. Curious what others think.
    I have skied that boot as a inbounds boot a lot... funny thing is I thought it leaked. They ski pretty damn well though.

I am lusting over the new ones and am hoping to get a pair next season.

Formerly Rludes025

Ended up eventually going for the zero g to tour and stick to this one inbound. It’s just perfect

I've been skiing previous generation cochise in bounds for 3 or 4 years and I do really like it. But despite how my foot measures, I've need to be in a lower volume boot. I tried on the mach1 LV and I think I just need a little width in the mid foot to make it work.

Haven't really noticed much leaking with my cochise, personally.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

So, this happened today...

Name:	Image1617922047.304992.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	370910