Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wtb: resort worthy tech bindings

High DIN not necessary, but good skiing/release characteristics for what will likely be a 50/50 ski for my daughter. 100mm brake.
    Thanks.

Of course you realize that most tech bindings do not have the same safety/reliable release as a std. resort binding. Corbetts has the shift on sale right now which might be a good compromise. Good luck.

No

Shift 10 or Marker F10. Duke PT 12 is a contender if she's not using rockered sole boots (which don't fit PT well if short BSL).

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Shift 10 or Marker F10. Duke PT 12 is a contender if she's not using rockered sole boots (which don't fit well if short BSL).
    The shift 10s are roughly 300 on corbetts right now, picked some up for my gf. Highly recommend op does the same.

Don't be like the people rocking dynafit speed turns at the resort.

your title has mutually exclusive terms.

Quote Originally Posted by tdpdx View Post
    Don't be like the people rocking dynafit speed turns at the resort.
    those mfers are everywhere
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    your title has mutually exclusive terms.
    I understand what my title says, thanks. There are always compromises.

Quote Originally Posted by sillybunt2 View Post
    Of course you realize that most tech bindings do not have the same safety/reliable release as a std. resort binding. Corbetts has the shift on sale right now which might be a good compromise. Good luck.
    Was thinking about these--look sold out there. Or something like kingpin or dynafit with toe rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    No
    Yes

Tectons?

Toe rotation doesn't make tech toes any safer for tib/fib fractures, it's just makes release at the heel more consistant.

Except for the Shift or Duke PT, Tectons or Vipecs are theoretically the safest for your kid.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Toe rotation doesn't make tech toes any safer for tib/fib fractures, it's just makes release at the heel more consistant.
    This, don’t put your daughter in a tech toe for inbounds skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    This, don’t put your daughter in a tech toe for inbounds skiing.
    ^^^ this x 1000 ^^^
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

..really though. tib fibs are scary shit.

bindings you can safely ski in the resort:
    - alpine bindings (duh)
    - shifts (maybe, depending on how high the din is set and whether they prerelease)
    - duke pt's (assuming they don't break on you)
    - tectons (definitely not ideal)
    - vipecs (maybe, and really, should you??)

bindings you shouldn't ski in the resort if you care about your legs
    - everything else

i gotta say, my tectons have been perfect in the resort. zero prereleases and one double eject when i really earned it.
    swing your fucking sword.

Finally jumped on shift train.
    Highly recommend (corbetts or ptex as a source). Spring bump skiing, could not tell the difference from my pivots (probably says something about me more than bindings). Tours perfectly ok.
    I brought pins (dynastar radical FT) on a couple of mostly resort trips and lack of elasticity got old in anything other than very soft snow.

Get her a used frame binding.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    i gotta say, my tectons have been perfect in the resort. zero prereleases and one double eject when i really earned it.
    yeah i like mine too

but i'm 155 pounds and not an aggressive skier and so take that recommendation with a grain of salt

i think they're safe enough for resort use, sure, there's just a fair bit of plastic in them

Fwiw, there is more “risk” associated with a tech binding over alpine. But the pearl clutching “OMG YER DAUTER GUN DIE” is crazy overblown. If you are light and not skiing ballz to ze wallz you will likely be just fine. Try not to have a twisting fall in the backseat.

More guaranteed is you’ll take years of life off an expensive tech binding using it for an unintended purpose and have a less enjoyable skiing experience doing so.

Skis are cheap. So are frame AT bindings these days. I recently saw a SM Tour 12 for like $125 in nice shape! That is my suggestion for 50/50 ski. Or get a cheap tech binding a cheap ski and have a separate touring setup. Can prob do either or both of the above for cost of Shifts.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    yeah i like mine too

but i'm 155 pounds and not an aggressive skier and so take that recommendation with a grain of salt

i think they're safe enough for resort use, sure, there's just a fair bit of plastic in them
    I mean there's a lot of plastic in every binding that isn't an ATK or pivot. Tectons seem to hold up well, especially given that a lot of people ski them in bounds.

I have no idea if the tecton release thing is just marketing, but anecdotally I hear way more "and then I had a weird crash and thank God my bindings released" stories with them (and vipecs).

That being said shift is probably a way better option for consistent resort use. I wouldn't give a frame binding to a smaller person, it's way more weight proportionally and more of a weird stride on a small person. My gf rented some a couple of times and was so exhausted from the uphill she could barely ski down. No such problems with tech toes.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by eug View Post
    Finally jumped on shift train.
    Highly recommend (corbetts or ptex as a source). Spring bump skiing, could not tell the difference from my pivots (probably says something about me more than bindings). Tours perfectly ok.
    I brought pins (dynastar radical FT) on a couple of mostly resort trips and lack of elasticity got old in anything other than very soft snow.
    have you thought about a lesson from one of those guys that used to be in warren miller movies?

i will be on the shift train next year too.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Light and ski easy and you will be fine? Avoid a backwards twisiting fall? Who is trying to fall?

That is the exact reason you should have a binding that releases predictably at the toe, if you’re are small and weak you are at an even bigger disadvantage.

She doesn’t need high din or metal. Just something that releases at the toe, any frame binding would do. Along with the shift and the duke pt.

Tectons/vipecs are something inbetween, better than full tech, but pins are still not going to release as consistently as being on a plastic AFD.

Or get her two setups and the risk of using the tech toe is minimized for the few downhill decents in the BC.

Get her 2 set ups. It can be done on the cheapish if you give it some effort.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda