Revelstoke Covid closure

Revelstoke Mountain Resort is closed tomorrow (31st March). No, not a provincial health order like Whistler - they are short staffed due to covid related circumstances.

Oh well, was damn good skiing on Sunday and Monday - went at it a bit hard and I still ache!

Shit. Sorry guys that sucks.

Sounds like its still undecided if the last week will be open. Cant see staff making a one day recovery from the rona. Hope theyre ok. Last day of work for me 2mora, was getting psyched up to get the last 5 days in. Conditions have been great

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

I heard they were short staffed so I went up yesterday afternoon just in case. They had Sub Peak, Lemming Line and Greeley Bowl closed, which is a pretty good chunk of terrain.

Now confirmed that the closure is the end of this season. Hope that doesn't mean Rogers Pass will be even more busy this weekend.

From Castanet News:-

Big White will shut down operations for the season a week ahead of scheduled.

Senior vice-president Michael J. Ballingall confirmed Big White will close for the season Monday afternoon at 4 p.m.

"We have seen an unprecedented amount of inquiries for accommodations and lift tickets from the Lower Mainland," said Ballingall.

"This is obviously because of the fact that Whistler is closed. What we are enormously afraid of is if we stay open, people are going to travel that shouldn't be travelling, and just by the law of averages and numbers, COVID-19 and the P1 variant will be amongst those people.

"In order for them not to travel, we are going to turn off the resort so they don't have a reason to travel."

Ballingall says if Big White had stayed open, they would have been the only resort west of the Kootenays open after the Easter long weekend.

"We are getting calls to our 1-800 number, on our website, we can see where people are inquiring from. We can see that lift ticket sales are from the 604 area code.

"We made the decision that it is not worth staying open and these people showing up in our back yard. It puts everybody at risk."

Big White was originally scheduled to close for the season Sunday, April 11.

Lets get these vaxxes rolling! Still time for ski missions along the divide and a Lake spring pass

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

another spring of punters playing whack-a-mole.

quitters

Quote Originally Posted by nickinbc View Post
    From Castanet News:-

Big White will shut down operations for the season a week ahead of scheduled.

Senior vice-president Michael J. Ballingall confirmed Big White will close for the season Monday afternoon at 4 p.m.

"We have seen an unprecedented amount of inquiries for accommodations and lift tickets from the Lower Mainland," said Ballingall.

"This is obviously because of the fact that Whistler is closed. What we are enormously afraid of is if we stay open, people are going to travel that shouldn't be travelling, and just by the law of averages and numbers, COVID-19 and the P1 variant will be amongst those people.

"In order for them not to travel, we are going to turn off the resort so they don't have a reason to travel."

Ballingall says if Big White had stayed open, they would have been the only resort west of the Kootenays open after the Easter long weekend.

"We are getting calls to our 1-800 number, on our website, we can see where people are inquiring from. We can see that lift ticket sales are from the 604 area code.

"We made the decision that it is not worth staying open and these people showing up in our back yard. It puts everybody at risk."

Big White was originally scheduled to close for the season Sunday, April 11.
    This is so hilariously opposite my home resort. Down here at Whitefish, they were doing everything they could to get tourists to come visit all season.

Amurica!

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    This is so hilariously opposite my home resort. Down here at Whitefish, they were doing everything they could to get tourists to come visit all season.

Amurica!
    Yup... all across murica. Long ass liftlines and full parking lots.

Amurica!
    And they did almost the same thing earlier in the season when they cancelled all non local reservations to keep people from coming. Got to give props to their management. They seem to actually care more about their local health situation then their bottom line.

Amurica!
    Doesn't seem to have resulted in cases blowing up though, did it? I've waited in many lift lines this season at Big Sky, probably the state's most crowded resort, and climbed into the cramped tram more than 100 times for the five minute zip to the summit. Stayed in a lot of hotels too.

What I didn't do is go in the lodge, or out to bars and restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Doesn't seem to have resulted in cases blowing up though, did it? I've waited in many lift lines this season at Big Sky, probably the state's most crowded resort, and climbed into the cramped tram more than 100 times for the five minute zip to the summit. Stayed in a lot of hotels too.

What I didn't do is go in the lodge, or out to bars and restaurants.
    I dunno - it's kinda tough to quantify. Linking cases to a specific activity or place is pretty tough, especially with so many positive cases being asymptomatic. But I'm with you - I've stood in plenty of lift lines, and to the best of my knowledge, haven't gotten the rona.

But Revy's case count is kind of laughably tiny compared to the U.S. We're talking about how cases didn't really blow up here, but Flathead and Gallatin case counts are both at around 11,000 per 100k, whereas (as best I can tell) Revy's case count is maybe 800 per 100k. British Columbia as a whole is at around 2300 per 100k. So that would seem to indicate whatever they're doing up there is working a whole lot better at keeping people from getting infected.

But, y'know, we've got all of that delicious freedom.

But, y'know, we've got all of that delicious freedom.
    Never to be taken for granted, as most people in the world would attest. But IMO the ideal virus response would probably fall somewhere between the responses of Canada and the U.S. Not that anybody knew what the hell to do a year ago. We were all building the plane while flying it.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Never to be taken for granted, as most people in the world would attest. But IMO the ideal virus response would probably fall somewhere between the responses of Canada and the U.S. Not that anybody knew what the hell to do a year ago. We were all building the plane while flying it.
    For sure. I'd like to think the ideal response would be a high degree of freedom to go about your business, provided appropriate precautions (masks, etc.) were adhered to. But that ship sailed long ago.

Mostly I just want everyone to get their shit together so I can go back to Canada where they're free to build bike trails that are worth riding.

For sure. I'd like to think the ideal response would be a high degree of freedom to go about your business, provided appropriate precautions (masks, etc.) were adhered to. But that ship sailed long ago.
    Yep. And that was Trump's great miscalculation. If he would have adopted your strategy, rather than deliberately promoting spreader behavior among his followers, he would have been re-elected in a landslide. But throwing the old and vulnerable under the bus to die rubbed too many people the wrong way.

Ok. /polyass