Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

U-Haul Box Truck Dually in the Snow?

I'm considering purchasing a used U-Haul 14' box truck to turn it into a place to live in resort parking lots next season. Does anyone have any advice or experience on how they handle in the snow, wind, or mountain passes? Input on the idea in general also welcome.

Name:  14Dimensions.png
Views: 3330
Size:  9.2 KB

My plan is to put some quality snow tires on it and try to get to the mountain when there isn't any heavy weather or road conditions. That way, I could avoid crashing and just stay in town for a while.

Not sure how realistic that is. Maybe I won't be able to get close enough to the resort. Or, maybe I'm overestimating the difficulty.

Duals suck in slick conditions. Not enough ground pressure/sq in. Single out the drive axle with some aggressive M&S tires. Carry Iron just in case. Sounds like fun.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

yeah you'll be hanging iron.

How clapped out does a U-Haul truck have to be before they sell it? I know every time I rent one of those things the first thing I do is go underneath and disconnect the odometer cable so the mileage don’t count.....and every time I did that, the cable was already loose. The true mileage on those trucks is just unfathomable.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Duals suck in slick conditions. Not enough ground pressure/sq in. Single out the drive axle with some aggressive M&S tires. Carry Iron just in case. Sounds like fun.
    That seems like a good idea. I don't know much about duals.

Is it safe to use a truck like this with single tires? I figure I won't be close to the weight of what a moving van is usually used for.

• Empty weight: 7,860 lbs.
    • Gross vehicle weight: 14,050 lbs.
    • Payload: 6,190 lbs

How big of a job is singling out the drive axle? If it involves unbolting some spacers, will be well worth it. If a new axle needs to be found, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    How clapped out does a U-Haul truck have to be before they sell it? I know every time I rent one of those things the first thing I do is go underneath and disconnect the odometer cable so the mileage don’t count.....and every time I did that, the cable was already loose. The true mileage on those trucks is just unfathomable.
    Never thought of that. They're being sold around 100k-130k miles. I'd guess they all actually have some tens of thousands of extra miles. Would interfere with their maintenance schedule too. I'll check out everything mechanically and pay a mechanic to double check. Maybe all these trucks are already spanked.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    This was the first thing that came to mind for me. I’d look for a short-bus school bus instead. Probs lived an easier life, and...some motherfucking windows!

Singling out duals is easy & saves $. Get a short Bus. School dist. have good maintenance programs and less/easy miles.
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Have you ever heard the phrase, "it's a rental, why be gentle?" I'm pretty sure that was coined by someone behind the wheel of a U-Haul truck.

I've not done a conversion to singles, but I can vouch for duals generally sucking in slick conditions, even with good snow tires. If your build out puts substantial weight over the rear axle (which it likely would), that will help.

I will note that driving a box van to go skiing did not make me popular with the ski area parking folks. YMMV.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sark0y9atjk51.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	620.5 KB 
ID:	369815
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Can make the Kessel run in 12 parsecs I bet
    27° 18°

Is that the Tattoine bar build out kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sark0y9atjk51.png 
Views:	165 
Size:	620.5 KB 
ID:	369815
    Someone is going to make a slide in pod decked out for winter comfort. That way you can move your mobile living quarters from one beater van to another.

To the op.
    Make sure you have enough cash left to get a room by the week at the no tell motels.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

I've driven a half full one over some mountain passes in CO in the summer and thought the thing was gonna explode. Definitely would not be my vehicle of choice for that, especially in the winter
    Quote Originally Posted by other grskier View Post
    well, in the three years i've been skiing i bet i can ski most anything those 'pro's' i listed can, probably

Definitely convert to SRW. Do some research, as not all boxes are created equal wrt to build and quality. Uhauls get beat to shit and don't get the best maintenance from my experience. Other rental/fleet trucks may be in better shape, but Uhauls do have the lower box/load height.

I'd seek out a ford v10 drivetrain if mountain driving is in the plans.

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Can make the Kessel run in 12 parsecs I bet
    Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Is that the Tattoine bar build out kit?
    Ha, great minds...!

just tow a boat when traveling to the resort the weight of the boat will help

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    W/out DRW he's probably going to run out of payload limited by tire capacity.

I cant edit my.post anyways
    Uhaul does a big business putting on aftermarket tow hitches
    I think they could handle a tank track conversion for you

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    W/out DRW he's probably going to run out of payload limited by tire capacity.
    There are high-capacity options out there, but they are limited and expensive. This build thread discusses it a bit at some point IIRC. https://expeditionportal.com/forum/t...165755/page-65

There are discussions elsewhere as well, there are various companies that do it for wildland fire rigs.

Add me to the list of people saying U Haul trucks are beat to shit, and find a different source for this project.

The U Haul vans I've rented have been in poor condition - and those are the ones they're still renting out. How bad do they have to become before being sold off?

I'll plant a different conversion idea in your head: get a used chassis cab truck, maybe a medium duty (Fuso type) and put a box on the back for a build. Or put an entire RV trailer on the back.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Taking in to consideration who drives U-hauls....a bus has a trained driver with kids. Easy on the controls. Auto chains work decent until they don't. Yep throw the 3 railers.

Stupendous idea!

Traction can suck with dually. But it depends on how loaded.
    If you build out living space etc it might not be bad.

Snow tires would help bigly. But not sure if snows have the weight rating.

And building out a rectangle is way easier than building out a van.

Not to mention it lets you move out of moms basement into “mom’s attic”

Give it a shot. If the frame underneath is clean, don’t sweat the rest. Chevy engines and trannies are pretty strong and easy to fix.

PS. School buses usually hit a few hundred k before retirement. I’d rather a uhaul.
    . . .

IME don't ever buy a delivery van that has done any time off highway,

in my short career running groceries into logging/ fire camps even being careful the road abuse was incredible
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

What schools were ya'll going to that the yellow buses were taking it easy picking up and dropping off kids?
    I distinctly recall slamming into the backs of those seatbelt-less seats numerous times because the drivers couldn't be bothered to plan their next stop and would roll up short and hard on the brakes.