Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

MTB/Hike/Casual WIndbreaker

Looking for a versatile windbreaker that I could wear mountain biking/hiking and also wear casually. Also looking for some water resistance and packable. I'm tallish (6'3) and slimmer and usually wear an XL. I've noticed some companies get wider as they go into the bigger sizes instead of longer which sucks so if the tall skinny guys can speak to the fit that'd be cool. Any recommendations?

I been wearing my Patagonnia R1 soft shell all the time including under down jackets, it a favorite piece and it definatly fits well on a slim person, i liked it for ski touring
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Not sure if it is still around but the Marmot Dri-clime stuff was really good for me for riding and hiking. You will get wet in a rain storm but it breathes really well.

Love my Dakine Reserve pullover

https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...ndbreaker-mens

good trim and length to the piece for lanky people. i'm 6'1" and the hem sits a bit below my waistline.

stuffs into its own chest pocket. material is similar to a patagonia houdini but with maybe a little stretch.

anyone have experience with the Patagonia dirt roamer for this purpose? looks like a pretty nice piece

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I've got a rab borealis L that I'm looking to sell if interested. Nothing wrong with it I just got a bd alpine start around the same time and I like that better for skinning. The borealis is a little bit warmer.

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

The OR Ferrosi is what you seek. Everyone should own one of those.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    6'4 205 and skinny up top, pretty much XL height but L width. I find that many technical mid layers fit well in XL but outerwear tends to grow out rather than up. I'm pretty happy with most patagucci in a large, the sleeves are long enough for most pursuits without going up to fat kid sizes. OR XL fits pretty slim as well. I know it's not uber tech, but Eddie Bauer and first ascent have some decent soft shells that don't balloon in XL that might fit the bill. Check out Double Diamond too; again, not TGR approved, but I have an outerwear piece from them that fits perfect in an XL, worth looking at.

Rab has the longest sleeves across the line. I have a rab super light wind shell (don’t know the name but it is like 6oz of ripstop) and an or ferrosi. The ferrosi is better if I’m going to wear it all day as it is more breathable, quieter and has a wider temp range but the rab fits better and gets the vote if it might go in the pack. I am 6’3” 200 and both are size large

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    ... Eddie Bauer and first ascent have some decent soft shells that don't balloon in XL that might fit the bill.
    Surely if you’re shopping Eddie Bauer it’s because they make actual TALL sizes in most of their clothes, so no need to get an XL for length, get M/T or L/T. That said, the jacket you’d probably want from them is the BC Uplift, which is one of the few items they don’t actually offer in tall sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    anyone have experience with the Patagonia dirt roamer for this purpose? looks like a pretty nice piece

I have a dirt roamer. It definitely has a cycling cut so not great for casual wear. That said, it is an incredible shoulder season/winter MTB jacket. I can pedal up hill for hours in. 50+ degree temps and humidity/rain, and remain pretty comfortable. Enough wind blocking that you don’t freeze on the way down. More water resistant than the Houdini, and similarly breathable, maybe better. If Patagonia used that fabric for a ski touring piece, it would be amazing.

OP might also like either the houdini, Houdini air or, air shed (discontinued but still pop up on wornwear). Overall the Houdini air is probably the most comfortable and versatile wind shirt I have ever used. And it packs down to almost nothing. Weighs about 4oz. The original Houdini has slightly better wind protection, comparable snow/rain protection, but the Houdini air absolutely kills the original in breathability.

Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    I have a dirt roamer. It definitely has a cycling cut so not great for casual wear. That said, it is an incredible shoulder season/winter MTB jacket. I can pedal up hill for hours in. 50+ degree temps and humidity/rain, and remain pretty comfortable. Enough wind blocking that you don’t freeze on the way down. More water resistant than the Houdini, and similarly breathable, maybe better. If Patagonia used that fabric for a ski touring piece, it would be amazing.

OP might also like either the houdini, Houdini air or, air shed (discontinued but still pop up on wornwear). Overall the Houdini air is probably the most comfortable and versatile wind shirt I have ever used. And it packs down to almost nothing. Weighs about 4oz. The original Houdini has slightly better wind protection, comparable snow/rain protection, but the Houdini air absolutely kills the original in breathability.
    I have an airshed and airshed pro. They are perfect for MTB (and ski touring). The pro is a little cooler due to the non-windblocking sleeves, but both breathe really well. I ride in CA so don't need tons of weather protection, just enough. I wouldn't wear the pro casually but the regular airshed is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    The OR Ferrosi is what you seek. Everyone should own one of those.
    True

Gravity always wins...

Not sure I'd ride in a Houdini. Seems like the first spill and that fabric would be shredded.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Not sure I'd ride in a Houdini. Seems like the first spill and that fabric would be shredded.
    dunno what windbreaker would survive a spill

That's one of the reasons I mentioned dri-clime. I've put the hurt on it and only half the spills required duct tape. I have an original Houdini and I'm scared to look at it wrong. Maybe newer versions are a little more substantial.

Edit-any outer layer I wear mtn biking is either old and I don't care about it much or cheap and I don't care about it much. I wreck more than I probably should.

Ferrosi size XL only $32.70

I've been happy with my Arcteryx Squamish hoody. It breathes pretty well for what it is. I have it with me most days for mtb and trail running in the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post

I bought and then returned it due to the weird fit. The fabric and features could have worked, but not for my tall, lean, long armed physique.

Ferrosi is great shoulder season. It’s not windproof or maybe it is and I just more layers.

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by brundo View Post
    Looking for a versatile windbreaker that I could wear mountain biking/hiking and also wear casually. Also looking for some water resistance and packable. I'm tallish (6'3) and slimmer and usually wear an XL. I've noticed some companies get wider as they go into the bigger sizes instead of longer which sucks so if the tall skinny guys can speak to the fit that'd be cool. Any recommendations?
    I’m a lean 6’1”, and find a Patagonia Houdini in large works as described. I also own an OR Ferrosi in large, which is slightly baggier, significantly heavier and less packable, more breathable and less weatherproof. The only limitation I find with the Houdini is that It gets clammy under heavy exertion, such as when climbing hard on my mountain bike, for which I’m thinking a Houdini Air might be the answer. The Arcteryx Squamish hoody seems like a slightly more weatherproof version.

Arc proton sl.

I have the Houdini and Ferrosi. Used the Houdini for skiing and more recently mtbing for years. Ferrosi is softer and less “slippery” and noisy than the Houdini but also much bulkier and absorbs more moisture because it is thicker. I still use the Houdini more because it is less “warm” and dries faster. I’ll climb it on skis when it’s somewhat cold or breezy without getting sweaty. For mtbing I stuff it in my back pocket for long climbs and put it on to keep the chill off when descending. It’s the most useful piece of clothing I own.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    6'4 205 and skinny up top, pretty much XL height but L width. I find that many technical mid layers fit well in XL but outerwear tends to grow out rather than up. I'm pretty happy with most patagucci in a large, the sleeves are long enough for most pursuits without going up to fat kid sizes. OR XL fits pretty slim as well. I know it's not uber tech, but Eddie Bauer and first ascent have some decent soft shells that don't balloon in XL that might fit the bill. Check out Double Diamond too; again, not TGR approved, but I have an outerwear piece from them that fits perfect in an XL, worth looking at.
    Big fan of EB First Ascent. I just picked up their new Gridstone jacket. Tall xl. Fit is great at 6’4” and 235#. Long, semi slim but not tight. Grid fleece backed light soft shell. Super breathable and stops the wind. Sheds snow and light rain really well. Nice high collar and fitted hood seals out the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I've been happy with my Arcteryx Squamish hoody. It breathes pretty well for what it is. I have it with me most days for mtb and trail running in the summer.
    What year? I read that in 2019 they totally redid the jacket and now it's much less breathable

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk