Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hourly Workers had better start thinking differently

Between automation and WFH, life and work will be very different in 20 years.
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 03-29-2021 at 04:41 PM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

one of those mfers is gon end up in the NFL if we aren't careful
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Don't think Belichick hasn't though about that already.

Lol yup. Of course Mark Rober's already on it:

I figure that once people are done writing AI software and it's fully functional and we've built the first round of factories that make robots we're fucked. At that point the bots will design themselves and build themselves. We won't be necessary anymore.

yeah, we've all seen the movie.

I'm less afraid of AI taking over, although on a long enough timeline that could totally happen, than I am of them just putting guns on them and replacing police as less and less people want to be cops due to worsening job description and lack of qualified immunity etc.

Imagine a (robot) boot on a human face forever. Actually seems easier to imagine than a human wearing that boot.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Not likely--they're trans.

Sounds like it's mainly Amazon workers that will going the way of ditch diggers, weavers, stable boys, etc etc.

Yeah, we've seen that movie too.

At what point does Soylent Green come in?

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I'm less afraid of AI taking over, although on a long enough timeline that could totally happen, than I am of them just putting guns on them and replacing police as less and less people want to be cops due to worsening job description and lack of qualified immunity etc.
    Nobody didn't become a cop due to lack of qualified immunity, come on. And if they did, it means they were a full-fledged psychopath.

I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    At what point does Soylent Green come in?
    Somewhere between 1984 and Planet of the Apes
    . . .

Space aliens will arrive before robots take over. I'm sure everyone's seen that movie too.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Bots arguing with each other again.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Nobody didn't become a cop due to lack of qualified immunity, come on. And if they did, it means they were a full-fledged psychopath.
    Yea, your point is valid, I'm not against ending qualified immunity or something. Everyone is looking for a between the lines in everything you say these days it gets old. I think my point is still valid.

Being a cop is already a hard gig. Harder if you give a shit and aren't a POS excuse for a human in a lot of places, but fine, just imagine slightly understaffed but overfunded police forces supplementing their officers with these armed bots. Highly possible if we face some budget crises and a rise in crime.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Remember this?

"Security Robot Commits Suicide In Fountain Because The World Is Terrible"

https://www.iflscience.com/technology/security-robot-commits-suicide-in-fountain-because-the-world-is-terrible/

Guess garbage collectors are safe

https://www.instagram.com/p/CN8sUMsn...=1kngcayqejnbv

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    They have those by us and they work pretty flawlessly.

We just deployed a test run of software that will automate about 50% of the work my accountants do manually right now...

Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I wonder when chicks and dudes will just fuck robots instead of going to Tinder.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Yea, your point is valid, I'm not against ending qualified immunity or something. Everyone is looking for a between the lines in everything you say these days it gets old. I think my point is still valid.

Being a cop is already a hard gig. Harder if you give a shit and aren't a POS excuse for a human in a lot of places, but fine, just imagine slightly understaffed but overfunded police forces supplementing their officers with these armed bots. Highly possible if we face some budget crises and a rise in crime.
    See if they dont become "self aware" the bots would just do what they are programmed to do, and that likely would lead to a lot less brutality. I mean what was Robocops directive?

Would the Naked Gun movies be funnier with robots? I think not.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    They have those by us and they work pretty flawlessly.
    It was a joke obviously. Those things have been in use for years in many urban areas. I assume we all know that.