Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    This is such sad news to those in the RFV and up in AK. Ugh.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Blancolirio coverage. Pilot and aviation safety guy. This video predates the above. He's following the investigation, he'll post again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MVe...el=blancolirio

Aspen daily news is reporting ice build up inside engine caused an engine failure? How could NTSB already come to that conclusion?

https://www.aspendailynews.com/news/...d64388ff1.html

^^ based on a press conference by an Oklahoma law firm that specializes in suing helicopter companies. Leeches out for blood already.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^^ based on a press conference by an Oklahoma law firm that specializes in suing helicopter companies. Leeches out for blood already.

But it said based on NTSb preliminary reports. Or is my reading comprehension just terrible

this is the latest in anchorage paper
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2021...-knik-glacier/
    no mention of preliminary report. I enjoyed Blancolirio coverage of Orville dam but his comments here are speculation and he should probably wait for more facts. Sad day sorry for all that lost friends and family.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    The guide crowd is like one big happy family here in small town Girdwood. I am kind of on the periphery while a couple of my friends were best buds with those guys... Pretty devastating all around.
    Sorry to hear this Carp. Gonna be hard, small towns everyone is so connected. Take care and condolences to friends and families.

Quote Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
    But it said based on NTSb preliminary reports. Or is my reading comprehension just terrible
    Yeah, based on preliminary reports; 'helicopter crashed just below a ridge line then tumbled 800-900 feet.' From that preliminary report, you can easily see how the bloodsuckers could interpret that to mean that a modified air intake had ice build up that dislodged and flamed out the engine. It's the next logical deduction of cause...

Peace to the families and friends of those lost. RIP.

Lots of friends were friends of the guides including on our trip. Hit people hard to come back from a flight and hear it the other day, then our phones lit up.

Just rumor, but rotor strike is what our guide was told.

To roll down that far, man, these ships are fragile fragile fragile. Proper positioning and properly adjusted belts significantly reduce trauma in rolling. You could note that most heliski clients are wearing a ski helmet, don't properly tighten their 3 points, and don't know brace position. Even with a properly tightened 4 point, flight helmet and proper bracing if you roll down a 300m rocky face it's going to end poorly.

RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Yeah, based on preliminary reports; 'helicopter crashed just below a ridge line then tumbled 800-900 feet.' From that preliminary report, you can easily see how the bloodsuckers could interpret that to mean that a modified air intake had ice build up that dislodged and flamed out the engine. It's the next logical deduction of cause...

Peace to the families and friends of those lost. RIP.
    I reached out the the Aspen Daily News asking where they received their sourcing for this article. They claimed that it came from a law firm, who had knowledge of the investigation. Later in the day, I received an email from the Aspen Daily News, stating that upon further investigation and consultation with an aerospace source, they are going to make a correction tomorrow. They were duped by a law firm that sent out a "preliminary" report showing what happened. The law firm had no knowledge of what actually happened and incorrectly claimed that the NTSB had come to that conclusion.

I reached out the the Aspen Daily News asking where they received their sourcing for this article. They claimed that it came from a law firm, who had knowledge of the investigation. Later in the day, I received an email from the Aspen Daily News, stating that upon further investigation and consultation with an aerospace source, they are going to make a correction tomorrow. They were duped by a law firm that sent out a "preliminary" report showing what happened. The law firm had no knowledge of what actually happened and incorrectly claimed that the NTSB had come to that conclusion.
    Good on you for getting that mis-information corrected.

Nice! Like I said, bloodsuckers. They were looking for clients to line up for the pending suit. Lowlifes.

Fucking shit stains.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

I thought that was sarcasm. Then I clicked the link and read more about leeches. Fuck.
    . . .

Harms was one of the best - Hard as nails, still humble, gentle, warm and caring as they come. His presence in a room was felt immediately.

For anyone who wishes to and can help out and show some love:

https://www.gofundme.com/f/booyah-fo...ver-greg-harms

Sadly he's left behind his partner and their a 10 month old daughter please help if you can.

Heli ski crash yesterday?

One going for Sean’s wife as well.
    https://www.gofundme.com/f/sean-mcmanamy-Always-Send-it

The newest article from the ADN says that the ELT didnt deploy and the heli was not reported missing till two hours after it went off the radar.
    So the question is who was tracking and keeping eyes on it?
    If help had gotten their sooner, could the passengers and pilot been saved?
    Just awful news.

Is it common to be out of radio range of the lodge when you're heli-skiing up there? My guided ski experience is limited to touring and cat, but the guides were on the radio to a manager in the lodge at the top and bottom of every run we skied in both settings.

If they were in range, one would think that an hour or more without any kind of communication back to the lodge would raise eyebrows.

Terrible no matter what.

^^ Sharing my limited experience: there is constant communication between guides and pilots of different groups but to talk back with base you need to use an inreach or something similar and it’s used sparingly. It’s also not uncommon for one group to stay out later in the day and be solo and out of communication. One of our groups last week stayed out on the glacier a full 2 hours longer than the others and didn’t get back to base until 7pm. Given that one of the world’s richest men was aboard, it doesn’t seem unusual that they’d be out there later paying for extra flight time. Someone with more experience feel free to correct me but that’s my perception.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Good to know, thank you for the insight. I figured that might be case with heli-skiing, particularly in AK where the operating areas are huge. You aren't covering the same sort of ground on foot or in a cat.
    Last edited by glademaster; 04-03-2021 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Good to know, thank you for the insight. I figured that might be case with heli-skiing, particularly in AK where the tenures are huge. You aren't covering the same sort of ground on foot or in a cat.
    alaska does not have tenures. The U.S. forest service issues permits that restrict operations on their lands. TML operates on state lands in the Matanuska Susitna Borough. This wreck occurred on those lands. Most operations are limited by the range in which they support the helicopter. This heli trip started at Wasilla Lake at 3:45 in the afternoon. This is 70 miles from the lodge and the wreck occurred around 90 miles from the lodge. The lodge does not routinely use this area. It has not been posted but the helicopter probably came from Soloy's base in Wasilla not TML. this article has more info https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...ach-mountains/ It appears that TML has hired a public relations firm to make statements clarifying their role.
    The heli-ski trip was booked by Third Edge Heli, Harms’ company, in coordination with Tordrillo Mountain Lodge, according to a lodge spokesperson, Mary Ann Pruitt.

The guests were staying in Wasilla at the request of Third Edge Heli and had not yet made it to the lodge when the helicopter picked them up Saturday, Pruitt said.
    off your knees Louie

I edited my post to clarify what I meant.

I was in a Hues 500 that crashed into a lake in Northern Alberta way back in 2006. We were doing mining exploration work in actual middle of no where.
    Hit the water 8:27am. The camp manager expected the bird back with in 30 min of taking off with us but it no showed. Our radio was in the water and we had zero communication until about 4pm when we met with another crew. The camp manager was losing his mind! I was barely able to communicate our coordinates before the radio died and a rescue plane found us around 6pm. The EPIRB didn't start going until later that night as I recollect.

A lot of luck in that one countered the half assed precautionary measures put in place.

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    I was in a Hues 500 that crashed into a lake in Northern Alberta way back in 2006. We were doing mining exploration work in actual middle of no where.
    Hit the water 8:27am. The camp manager expected the bird back with in 30 min of taking off with us but it no showed. Our radio was in the water and we had zero communication until about 4pm when we met with another crew. The camp manager was losing his mind! I was barely able to communicate our coordinates before the radio died and a rescue plane found us around 6pm. The EPIRB didn't start going until later that night as I recollect.

A lot of luck in that one countered the half assed precautionary measures put in place.
    Damn. Feel like you should elaborate on this story if so inclined. That’s crazy. What time of year? Wet and cold as shit?
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.