Page 7 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    That’s a lot of drugs dad!
    You have no idea... wait. Maybe you do??

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    Anyone else crazy enough to have 3? 5, 3, and 8 months.
    3? That's rookie stuff.

We settled at 5. 20, 17, 15, 14, 11. 4 boys with a girl to round it out. All skiers still trying to keep up with me. Wouldn't change a thing. It honestly gets easier after 3.

Fatherhood anonymous; an open discussion on being a dad.

Being that my wife and I are both only children….we stopped at 2 girls…lol.

We’ve been living paycheck to paycheck for 20 years and now having both in college we continue to hustle our way through the monthly financial struggle…..but, we are doing it.

Watching them grow up to be what they are today has been a hell of a rewarding ride. The trips we’ve taken around the country…the hiking, the skiing, enjoying the outdoors……has created a love for the environment, science, and recreation within my daughters that will hopefully pass on to their families someday….it’s all been totally worth it.

Again, as stated upthread…..wouldn’t change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Being that my wife and I are both only children….we stopped at 2 girls…lol.

We’ve been living paycheck to paycheck for 20 years and now having both in college we continue to hustle our way through the monthly financial struggle…..but, we are doing it.

Watching them grow up to be what they are today has been a hell of a rewarding ride. The trips we’ve taken around the country…the hiking, the skiing, enjoying the outdoors……has created a love for the environment, science, and recreation within my daughters that will hopefully pass on to their families someday….it’s all been totally worth it.

Again, as stated upthread…..wouldn’t change a thing.
    All of this. My boy and girl are 22 and 20 and both out of state full time now. Got to say I sailed through the teens without any karmic retribution, getting into the outdoors with the kids from an early age was probably the reason we remained such a tight family unit.

They will thank you for it-
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210717_095105~2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	907.5 KB 
ID:	379692

Name:	20210717_095053~2.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	882.0 KB 
ID:	379693
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Love all the perspective flowing through this thread!

She’s almost 6 months and crushed a 7 mile hike in her carrier today — seeing her curiosity and stoke regarding nature truly warmed my soul!

Name:	BA63E0E7-2954-49B4-AB42-DBA666D1711D.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	379702

Name:	E99ADD61-3C0E-4810-94C4-BB0A8682E3D3.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	581.3 KB 
ID:	379703

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Love all the perspective flowing through this thread!

She’s almost 6 months and crushed a 7 mile hike in her carrier today — seeing her curiosity and stoke regarding nature truly warmed my soul!

Name:	BA63E0E7-2954-49B4-AB42-DBA666D1711D.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	379702

Name:	E99ADD61-3C0E-4810-94C4-BB0A8682E3D3.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	581.3 KB 
ID:	379703

Love this!

Here's me and my middle 2 boys summiting Mt. St. Helens a few weeks back. I've been really fortunate to have lots of outdoor adventures with them over the years thanks to church and Boy Scouts. Still have a few years with kids at home and milking it for all I can.

Another key is helping your wife/partner stay as active as they want to be. My wife got out of shape after #5 and has struggled to get back to where she wants to be. We'll get her there, but it's led to some tougher times. I didn't do enough sacrificing of my own activities for her and I'm paying a price. New dads, don't make that mistake.

You know what's fun? An 18 month old that can climb out of her crib in under 30 seconds even at it's tallest setting, with the mattress on the floor.

The first night it happened, I put her down and was watching hockey. About a minute later I hear her door open and she casually walks into the den, sits down and sucks her thumb without a word, staring at the TV. Very confused, I put her back and left the door cracked so I could see what was going on. Out in 30 seconds. Wife and I drop the mattress to the floor...out in 30 seconds.

How, you ask? By stemming like she's climbing a chimney route....pulls herself up as far as she can, then extends her legs against two adjacent beams while holding on to the rail, then swings leg up while pulling her body over. It's fucking crazy. And very problematic.

We started putting her in a sleep sack to immobilize her legs. She is not psyched.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Sleep Sacks were our friends for sure.

But if she's not ready to sleep, maybe watch some hockey with her? When she's done she will (hopefully) stay in place

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Sleep Sacks were our friends for sure.

But if she's not ready to sleep, maybe watch some hockey with her? When she's done she will (hopefully) stay in place
    This one will party all night if you let her. Fortunately she's a good sleeper when not scaling the walls.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

#ferber

It does work, just hard on the psyche.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    #ferber

It does work, just hard on the psyche.

Best of luck!
    She almost never cries at night. Now we know why....she probably takes the truck to the bar.

ok, that's good
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    She almost never cries at night. Now we know why....she probably takes the truck to the bar.
    Ours did the same thing. Fortunately he had one bad fall and stopped climbing out. We did move to the bed early with both of ours, though not that early. Our general rule is - you don't have to go to sleep, but you have to stay in your room.
    It's helped a lot as the kids will generally look at books or build some Lego for 30-45 minutes then put themselves down or pass right out.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    You know what's fun? An 18 month old that can climb out of her crib in under 30 seconds
    So our twin boys. at somewhere around 15-18 months we'd come in and they'd both be in the same crib. That freaked us out as the cribs were several feet apart. Then at about 2 yrs we came in and there was nobody in any crib. Longest 10 seconds of my life until i heard giggling. they'd climbed into the (goddamned accordian door) closet and shut the doors.
    "Can't you see..."

Name:	IMG_3356.JPG 
Views:	97 
Size:	226.3 KB 
ID:	379891

Was a good day getting these two out for a float and swim. Teamed up with a friend and his daughter. Got outside, kids had a blast, and the Moms were stoked we were gone for 2 + hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    All of this. My boy and girl are 22 and 20 and both out of state full time now. Got to say I sailed through the teens without any karmic retribution, getting into the outdoors with the kids from an early age was probably the reason we remained such a tight family unit.

They will thank you for it-

Name:	20210717_095105~2.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	907.5 KB 
ID:	379692

Name:	20210717_095053~2.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	882.0 KB 
ID:	379693
    Well isn’t that the greatest!?! Nice job Dad.

Re: newborns and the struggles. We were clueless but for the examples we had around the family and a lot of friends that used the Moms on Call program. Fucking gold. Being newbie idiots and not having any parents nearby (here’s technically were in a neighboring state but are useless when it comes to much, especially parenting, but I digress) it was a godsend. Every thing you need to know, swaddling, bath time, bedtime, (we had the diet dialed) but most importantly is the schedule. Kids need and thrive off routine when they’re that young and man it paid off. Slept through the night at 14 weeks and never looked back.

Kid is a thriving 1st grader now but we owe so much of it to that foundation we got from that program through age ~4. It showed with his peers for sure.

Fuck, they should pay us a commission for how much business our kid generated for them just by being a walking advert of their results.

Whatever, do what works for your family and don’t look back. Cheers Dads.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Aolias View Post
    First off- congrats!

I use an alias because some public searches tie me to this forum, but I'm barely in the thing- my first just turned 3 a week ago, which is hard to believe, and the missus and I just had the first appointment to confirm all's well on #2 in the oven a few days ago. Have only told a few close family members, but feels good to spread the news amongst internet strangers- baby due mid october. Sex will remain unknown unless an obvious schlong presents itself on a future sonogram like the first time around...
    Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    Was "Obvious Schlong" already taken as a username? Way better than Aolias.
    Let this be a warning to the childless mags out there: back in late-March I tempted the parenthood gods by flippantly posting in this thread. Now my gf is due with our first in March 2022. We're moving to Amsterdam next month and had planned on drinking our way through Europe for a few years before having kids; the adventure will look a little different now...
    Last edited by HellgateBasement; 07-22-2021 at 01:57 PM.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

^^ congrats!!

Unbeknownst to us we were pregnant and my wife consumed considerable booze in her first trimester!!

Hey, it’s yuuuurp; drinking through pregnancy is common place.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    ^^ congrats!!

Unbeknownst to us we were pregnant and my wife consumed considerable booze in her first trimester!!

Hey, it’s yuuuurp; drinking through pregnancy is common place.

Thanks! You make an interesting point. They mostly come out fine - why are we such prudes.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

I was dragged around Europe as a baby and turned out semi ok. Pretty sure my parents weren't boozing around a ton but they figured we shouldn't slow them down. I think it was 9 countries on a work trip starting when I was 9 weeks old. They waited less for the first similar trip with my younger sister.

My wife found out she was pregnant right before we were to leave for a two week self-supported sea kayak trip in Glacier Bay. I was worried she would bail but she did not. Turned out to be a much more demanding trip than either of us anticipated, and she was HUNGRY the whole time. But only bad part was afterward we traveled around SE Alaska for a few more weeks and she was not able to drink beers with me. She loves her breweries so she was bummed, but in the end it was one of the best trips we ever did together.

Thanks for the reassurance yeahman, abe, skilyft.

My wife had a glass or two of wine or a beer many nights while pregnant. Both seem to be fine, the 2 yo is pretty advanced for his age.

Fatherhood anonymous; an open discussion on being a dad.

Quote Originally Posted by HellgateBasement View Post
    Let this be a warning to the childless mags out there: back in late-March I tempted the parenthood gods by flippantly posting in this thread. Now my gf is due with our first in March 2022. We're moving to Amsterdam next month and had planned on drinking our way through Europe for a few years before having kids; the adventure will look a little different now...
    Not for you. She can watch you drink and enjoy it vicariously.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.