Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    The ďdad cleaning his guns at homeĒ trope is one I never quite understood.
    I like something for subtle.

ďYou two have fun tonight, have her home by 10 because I really donít want to go back to prisonĒ

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    The ďdad cleaning his guns at homeĒ trope is one I never quite understood.
    Because policing your childrens' sexuality is a pretty fucked up thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I really like my Mom. She secretly bought my 6 year old(6 YEAR OLD) a low cut dress with fake boobs in it. I find out as she is wearing it around the house.

I told my Mom, do crap like that again and I will punch you in the face, hard.

Everybody has a line, it might not be in the right place but they do. If they don't, they are terrible parents.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    I really like my Mom. She secretly bought my 6 year old(6 YEAR OLD) a low cut dress with fake boobs in it.

Yeah that's super fucked up and not at all what I was talking about.

Fatherhood anonymous; an open discussion on being a dad.

Quote Originally Posted by exsparky View Post
    I told my Mom, do crap like that again and I will punch you in the face, hard.

Everybody has a line, it might not be in the right place but they do. If they don't, they are terrible parents.
    Really?

This lives in the same place for me. Iím not sure I have ever told somebody I would punch them in the face, especially my mom. Iíve told her to stop doing things, sure, butÖ.threatening actual violence?

Weird.
    focus.

I predict my discussions with anyone that dates my daughter will more be along the lines of "at some point, she'll tire of you, and understand it's not you." She was born with keen understanding of what she wants and an iron will to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I like something for subtle.

ďYou two have fun tonight, have her home by 10 because I really donít want to go through another murder trial. I might get the needle this time."

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Awesome. Fify.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I mean, my kids are too young for it to be an issue.

But at a certain point cockblocking your 13 year old, if necessary, is part of good parenting.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    But at a certain point cockblocking your underage kids, if necessary, is part of good parenting.

Fify.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I mean, my kids are too young for it to be an issue.

But at a certain point cockblocking your 13 year old, if necessary, is part of good parenting.

Maybe. Iím not really meaning to jump on my high horse over here. ButÖ.. maybe if your cockblocking has to involve threats of violence or death toward somebody elseís child youíre doing it wrong.

My son is 14, and he hasnít had much opportunity to meet any of his girlfriendsí parents. But if one of them threatened his life or person over some bullshit about a curfew, whyÖ. Iíd punch them in the face. Hard.

Or something.

[dismounts horse]
    focus.

Agreed on the whole dads with guns thing. What are you saying to your daughters? Teaching them that a man controls their every move and will decide who they date?

Besides, if you say something about cleaning your guns or threaten violence, you almost certainly don't have the gravitas to be believable.

whatever happened to being intimidating, instead of having to tell people you are intimidating? Go coach HS football, wrestling, or (oddly enough) softball and that'll likely do it. Never met a coach of those sports that didnt have an intimidating vibe despite most being super nice, kind people.

Seriously tho, My daughter is 11 so not dating yet but it's likely around the corner. I would like to hope my wife and I have taught her well enough that she will stand up for herself and seek help if needed.

Only time will tell I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    Back story on this scene is interesting

†the first-time actor's fear in the scene was genuine after watching a planned awkward exchange before the shoot. Director Michael Bay was concerned the fresh faced talent wouldn't be able to deliver enough emotion in the scene, so he told the two star veterans to have an argument in front of him right before they shot in order to capture true intimidation.†

My daughters are 20, 22 and 24. I never worried about them being sexually active but my wife made sure they were on birth control and knew that being a teen mom would limit thier freedom. We just had to tell them to look at my brothers kids, 3/4 of them were parents by 18 (one at 16 then 17). When my youngest turned 20 my wife and I celebrated the fact that we had no teen parents.

Ever listen to Fred Eaglesmith? His song, How's Ernie has a lyric,
    "We'd talk guns and horses
    'Till the lights went out
    Why, we'd sit up 'till midnight drinkin'
    Whiskey and water
    And he'd pretend not to know
    I was sleeping with his daughter"

I was Ernie at work, we hired my daughter's BF at the bike shop for the summer.

Well I guess I am an anachronism amongst all you woke dudes.

The dad gun trope is overplayed for sure but thereís a healthy middle ground as well. Teenage boys are walking fuck sticks and some of them need to be scared into place a little. Itís mostly about treating these girls with respect, not clamping them down in a chastity belt.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The dad gun trope is overplayed for sure but thereís a healthy middle ground as well. Teenage boys are walking fuck sticks and some of them need to be scared into place a little. Itís mostly about treating these girls with respect, not clamping them down in a chastity belt.
    Heh. It's not just the teenage boys... and never has been.

Not a father, but to add to this, the pron thatís easily accessible today I think gives an extremely perverted idea of what real sex actually is. In the 1980s you couldnít google a chick getting railed in the ass by 3 cocks. Idk, it actually seems pretty damaging and fucked up in a societal way to me.

I hope to have a daughter some day, I think fathers play an extremely important role in young girls development into strong and independent women.

The dad gun trope is overplayed for sure but there’s a healthy middle ground as well. Teenage boys are walking fuck sticks and some of them need to be scared into place a little. It’s mostly about treating these girls with respect, not clamping them down in a chastity belt.
    Well said, and agreed. But I still think if you have to say anything threatening to the kid, you've already lost.

In high school a friend's dad told me if I heard threats from a dad, they were afraid someone would treat their daughter the way they treated daughters.

He also made a distinction between being protective and trying to threaten/intimidate. Both seemed like good advice and mostly felt like it matched my experiences.

Reminds me of an ex telling me I could mention I was Jewish or Mexican but I had to choose one before I met her parents the first time.

Sure. I get that. Agreed with ZZZ that if you have to say it, you probably arenít making much of an impression there. And Iím all about bringing that alpha male energy when I need to. But my threat isnít really violence because thatís so fucking empty even if you mean it.

Itís all about commanding respect, and In my world, showing me your fucking guns or making stupid comments about your capacity for violence doesnít command much respect.

Make no mistake, one thing that fatherhood has absolutely taught me is that there is literally nothing I would not do to protect these ungrateful assholes, but Iím smart enough to think longer than two weeks ahead and can appreciate that I canít do much from jail. And Iím not going to threaten some empty violence upon somebody elseís fucking kid, I donít care how horny he is.
    focus.

Iím intentionally very quiet around my daughters friends and I listen intently with my eyes. She tells me they are scared of me because they donít know what to think of me. And always wonder what Iím thinking about them. This all works out very well for me.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy