Page 20 of 92 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Bumping this rad thread.....

Anyone teach their kids to swim? Helpful YouTube vids? Tips?

This is for a higher-energy 5 year old.

Swim lessons are really tough to find right now (Seattle).

So I am thinking, perhaps foolishly, I could teach some basics like "how to not drown" (so I can sleep maybe a bit better at night).

Former occasionally competitive swimmer - but am apparently at square 1 for teaching.

Ha! Yeah, that's pretty close to how his mom was taught.

Phatty - yup, smack dab in Seattle so trying to keep from extended driving.

So I am thinking, perhaps foolishly, I could teach some basics like "how to not drown" (so I can sleep maybe a bit better at night).

Former occasionally competitive swimmer - but am apparently at square 1 for teaching.
    We did use the community lessons that were going on, but with COVID, your best bet is calling up the closest college and getting someone on the swim team to do private lessons in random pools.

My kids are younger and can't swim, but we've been hitting the pool weekly since each was six months old. I have them both in life jackets (not water wings) and they can swim all over on their own. They have a blast and at this point, it's just getting them comfortable in the water. I think if you take your kid weekly, even without formal lessons, they will start to pick it up just watching the other kids (at least that is what I am hoping for).

Most public swim lessons are taught by teens that have minimal training so you're probably better off teaching them yourself. Teach back float, front float, few basic strokes and most importantly NO deucing in the pool. Wife took my 3 kids to years of public swim lessons and they didn't learn much other than how to float and a few strokes enough not to drown at the public urinal. 2 of my 3 kids were swim instructors and they didn't know shit. Sounds like you would be an instant director of swim school at anything in Portland.

If you do lessons, spring for private lessons vs. group lessons. Kids will learn 5x more in an hour private lesson than in a group lesson.

Once summer roles around, the lifeguards at lake washington beaches offer free lessons every week day at noon. Mt baker beach is the best spot, in my experience.

buy a good kickboard that will support their weight and practice kicking across the pool and rotary breathing. Typically freestyle is taught first. Getting them to really bring their elbows up and out of the pool and reaching forward is the hard part.

My kids are doing group lessons this winter and they love it. No way I'd ever try to replace the fun, goal oriented lessons they look forward to every week with me as an instructor, phatty. It's such a good experience for them.

Highly recommend swimguru. Lessons were held in the scuba pool at Underwater Sports on Aurora, or the LA Fitness a little north of that also on 99. Private lessons only, and 15 mins for littles, and 30 mins (I think) for bigger kids. 15 mins of a private lesson is much more helpful than holding onto the wall for most of an hour during a group lesson. It's not cheap but I'm glad we did it.

My daughter started before turning 2 and is now swimming like a fish at 4. My <2 son would have started by now but we're holding off due to COVID. He gets to "swim" with us and watch his sister, so I think he'll do fine with a later start.
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Unless you are better at something than 99.9999% of the planet, hire a professional to teach it to your kids. Then go do it with them for fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I don’t have anything to add but will look into swim guru too. HC I could be interested in a semi private with my 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by carlh View Post
    I don’t have anything to add but will look into swim guru too. HC I could be interested in a semi private with my 5yo

My girlfriend swam into college and taught kids for several years, she's been missing teaching and we've been talking about how she can get back into it occasionally if you're interested.

There's a chance, but odds are your kids don't want you as a teacher. Check out safe n' sound in west lake union. That's where my kids did theirs, warm water and air temp, quick private lessons. Get in get out.

We taught our kids everything, partly because they refused to take lessons. It was too hard for them.

When we tried to put one, who has always been pretty self contained, in swim lessons, he threw up in the pool. Ski lessons were a similar bust, less the puke. They just wanted to be with us.

So we shouldered it up. Full contact parenting.

Kids are different, so are parents. Adjust as required. The judgmental types can bite it.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Kids are different, so are parents. Adjust as required. The judgmental types can bite it.
    QFT

My wife and I taught all 3 of our kids to swim. We put them all into the water early and often. Because we live on a lake they all lived in life jackets in the summer from ages 1 to 5. At 4 is where we started taking them off and teaching them basics, keeping it simple and fun. My son is 6 years old and still wants to wear his life jacket in the lake but goes without it in the pool. I think it's just a safety net for him and he will probably shed it this summer when he sees all his little buddies swimming without one. Both my girls were swimming on their own at 5. No big deal, all kids are different and learn different. They will figure it out, the important goal for me was that they like water and aren't afraid. The rest they will figure out. And I can't wait to take them on their first scuba trip.

We used youtube to teach my daughter around 3 to swim. It was more.like we queued up a bunch of swim instruction and water safety videos for her on an iPad while we were.getting ready for work in the mornings. After a few weeks she just took off her swim float thing and did it...we have a pool in the yard so she is/was swimming pretty much everyday. We did it more to hopefully get her some water safety in addition to all other safety measures we took.

She did have a few lessons at the community pool the next year and never looked back.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

We started our oldest at under 1 year old at the Queen Anne Aquatic Center with parent/child lessons. I remember thinking that it was so important to get him used to the water as soon as possible. He ended up hating the water for years so I don't really think it mattered much. Once he warmed up to it again, he started swimming in a kid's sized life jacket to build comfort and confidence in the water. Now we do regular swim lessons from a specialty swim school. I don't like the cost of paying for lessons but it's a nice winter activity and gives me peace of mind when we're at the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Dahlgar View Post
    We started our oldest at under 1 year old at the Queen Anne Aquatic Center with parent/child lessons. I remember thinking that it was so important to get him used to the water as soon as possible. He ended up hating the water for years so I don't really think it mattered much. Once he warmed up to it again, he started swimming in a kid's sized life jacket to build comfort and confidence in the water. Now we do regular swim lessons from a specialty swim school. I don't like the cost of paying for lessons but it's a nice winter activity and gives me peace of mind when we're at the lake.
    This mirrors my experience. Ahh, memories.. Did parent/child at queen anne and green lake with all three of mine before moving onto a place that taught them proper stroke form. Even though I was on hs swim team, my relationship with my kids benefited from someone else showing and telling them.

Fatherhood anonymous; an open discussion on being a dad.

Teach beginners swimming: Get comfortable with opening eyes under water and holding breath; hang on the edge and blow bubbles.

Now, the only thing important to learning swimming is being able to float on your back and stomach continuously with little effort and the ability to rollover to switch sides without panic.

Two keys:

1. Head goes up>feet go down
    2. Head goes down>feet go up

The goal is neutral balance with your eyes straight down

When I ran a swim school we kept the beginner pool at like 92 degrees. Huge help.

Am I missing something here? I've never had a swim lesson in my life. I consider myself a pretty good swimmer. My kids, I just took into the pool, showed them some basics and they just swam. We have a pool, so that's a big advantage, but I never knew swim lessons were such a universal thing. To me, that'd be similar to bicycle riding lessons. I mean don't most kids just swim with floaties and supervision and kinda figure it out?

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    When I ran a swim school we kept the beginner pool at like 92 degrees. Huge help.
    did that disguise the pee?

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    I mean don't most kids just swim with floaties and supervision and kinda figure it out?
    wow, um, no

^^It kinda depends what "learn to swim" means to you. If you want your kids to actually know a stroke or whatever, then obviously, lessons. But if you think, I'll just get the kid to where they aren't afraid of the water and they can decide what they want to do from there, then the Gibo Method™ isn't wrong.

When he was 2, we put our kid into a "drown proofing" class that was being offered. Came in handy. When he was 5 he was with me a a few other adults on a small boat dock admiring the view. Someone say's "Where's the kid?" and we turned to see him looking up at us from the lake and "Grabbing The Wall" like he was taught. Holding onto a piling. We never heard the splash. Probably a Youtube that could show a parent how to teach and practice the move.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.