Page 64 of 80 FirstFirst ... 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 ... LastLast
Results 1,576 to 1,600 of 1980
  1. #1576
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I can still smell Poutine.
    Posts
    23,653
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    The big girl had her first days of school.
    Exiciting times for everyone.
    Attachment 469799
    Dang, nobody rolled me the big phat Bob Marley cone on my first day of school! Kids these days!

  2. #1577
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    7,692
    Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Dang, nobody rolled me the big phat Bob Marley cone on my first day of school! Kids these days!
    Complete with baked sea life, purple easy-light tissue, and glittered JAH label!

  3. #1578
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    4,380
    Conicals exhibit anxiety quelling properties

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schult%C3%BCte

  4. #1579
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    8,261

    Stoned out of his miiiiiiiiiiiiiind!
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  5. #1580
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    closer
    Posts
    5,385
    Yeah I mean if you don't praise di herb in the family the kids will never learn to be true believers in Jah.

    I reckon school cones with Gifts are not a thing in the US.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

  6. #1581
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I can still smell Poutine.
    Posts
    23,653
    Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Yeah I mean if you don't praise di herb in the family the kids will never learn to be true believers in Jah.

    I reckon school cones with Gifts are not a thing in the US.
    I reckon.

  7. #1582
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bend
    Posts
    1,216
    My kid is 4 months old.

    It is a Thule Chariot I picked up used.

    I went ahead and picked up a cheap cruiser with a QR to tool around the neighborhood, but that might end up being a spring activity.

    I thought about the infant adapter, Iím using a car seat adapter in a Burley jogging stroller, but her mom isnít crazy about it. Sheís pretty big and strong, but sheís still only 4 months old. Even sitting safely in her car seat I canít watch her bump all around. Looks like Iíll be sticking fo the bike path and her jogger until ski season rolls around. We have quite a bit of good groomed skiing in central OR - so that will probably be our thing this winter.

  8. #1583
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,178
    Just dropped last kid off for his sophomore year of college. Moved into a high rise appt that charges a premium and in true college town fashion they basically don't clean between renters. Bought him a weeks worh of groceries and a 30 pack before bailing.

  9. #1584
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Where the sheets have no stains
    Posts
    21,501
    Doin it wrong.
    and a 29 pack before bailing
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

    "Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

  10. #1585
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Posts
    218
    Our little girl, Mica Magnolia, is four months old and the best thing either of us have ever been a part of.

    She is increasingly insistent that she spend her day time upright on her feet. It goes so fast, this pure magic of new family.

  11. #1586
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Gaperville, CO
    Posts
    5,772
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Just dropped last kid off for his sophomore year of college. Moved into a high rise appt that charges a premium and in true college town fashion they basically don't clean between renters. Bought him a weeks worh of groceries and a 30 pack before bailing.
    I have a fond memory of getting off the elevator with my pops moving into my dorm. He was carrying a case of two buck chuck for 18yo me first time he met my RA.

    19ish years til I get to replicate.

  12. #1587
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Eugenio Oregůn
    Posts
    8,261
    Quote Originally Posted by lowsparkco View Post
    My kid is 4 months old.

    It is a Thule Chariot I picked up used.

    I went ahead and picked up a cheap cruiser with a QR to tool around the neighborhood, but that might end up being a spring activity.

    I thought about the infant adapter, Iím using a car seat adapter in a Burley jogging stroller, but her mom isnít crazy about it. Sheís pretty big and strong, but sheís still only 4 months old. Even sitting safely in her car seat I canít watch her bump all around. Looks like Iíll be sticking fo the bike path and her jogger until ski season rolls around. We have quite a bit of good groomed skiing in central OR - so that will probably be our thing this winter.
    If you make it to the Doo, I have a Thule infant sling for the Chariot that you can have. Actually Iíll be at Crescent Lake for the eclipse in 4 weeks.
    _______________________________________________
    "Strapping myself to a sitski built with 30lb of metal and fibreglass then trying to water ski in it sounds like a stupid idea to me.

    I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

  13. #1588
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    NCW
    Posts
    4,380
    Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    I have an old burley tandem with the softride beam. I might have to modify it for a gear/kid hauler. Did you do anything unique to make this setup work?

  14. #1589
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,178
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I have a fond memory of getting off the elevator with my pops moving into my dorm. He was carrying a case of two buck chuck for 18yo me first time he met my RA.

    19ish years til I get to replicate.
    Kid has 4 roomates all oldest kids in their families. Kind of funny seeing all their moms cleaning, setting up their baby boys' rooms while I dumped all his shit in a pile, went shopping, ate a late lunch and dropped him off. My wife actually scheduled a girls vacation so I was in charge of the move in process. Might as well have put our oldest kid in charge.....

  15. #1590
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    In a van... down by the river
    Posts
    12,923
    Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Kid has 4 roomates all oldest kids in their families. Kind of funny seeing all their moms cleaning, setting up their baby boys' rooms while I dumped all his shit in a pile, went shopping, ate a late lunch and dropped him off. My wife actually scheduled a girls vacation so I was in charge of the move in process. Might as well have put our oldest kid in charge.....
    This is why mothers should not be allowed anywhere near college move-in days.

  16. #1591
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    10,233

    Fatherhood anonymous; an open discussion on being a dad.

    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Personally I'd be more worried about video games than social media. I did not have to worry about gaming with two girls, we never even had a gaming console, but gaming seems more isolating and addictive to me. Social media OTOH has proven to be relatively harmless. It's just how kids interact these days, and witholding it after age 13 seems pointless if not actually stunting to me. And apps like TikTok are pretty creative. My kids don't make many TikTok videos but when they do the content is quite hilarious. It's impressive, I think.
    Our experience with video games has been the opposite. For my youngest and his friends, itís how they hang out when theyíre not together, like a replacement for the phone. He hasnít shown much interest yet, but Iím much more concerned about social media.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  17. #1592
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    6,844
    Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    Our experience with video games has been the opposite. For my youngest and his friends, itís how they hang out when theyíre not together, like a replacement for the phone. He hasnít shown much interest yet, but Iím much more concerned about social media.
    What specifically are you concerned about? SM plays basically the same roll you are describing. It's how they hang out and communicate when not together.

  18. #1593
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    5,585

    Fatherhood anonymous; an open discussion on being a dad.

    Iíd suggest the focus is different. Gaming is an activity you socialize around. Social media is making a game of socializing. Not to get too cute about it.

    The former builds shared experience. The latter isnít really about sharing an experience with others at all, itís sharing manufactured experiences to others and inviting comparison.

    Iíve given up on really trying to control either, and thatís ended up being healthiest for me and my relationship with my kids. I do wish they had a chance to be teens without social media, but I donít think thatís really possible.
    focus.

  19. #1594
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Shadynasty's Jazz Club
    Posts
    10,233
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    I’d suggest the focus is different. Gaming is an activity you socialize around. Social media is making a game of socializing. Not to get too cute about it.

    The former builds shared experience. The latter isn’t really about sharing an experience with others at all, it’s sharing manufactured experiences to others and inviting comparison.

    I’ve given up on really trying to control either, and that’s ended up being healthiest for me and my relationship with my kids. I do wish they had a chance to be teens without social media, but I don’t think that’s really possible.

    I was trying to type a thoughtful response, but this sums it up pretty well, and we're in a similar place.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

  20. #1595
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    6,844
    I'm going to venture a guess you guys have not really looked closely at the social media accounts of today's tweens and teens.

  21. #1596
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    5,585

    Fatherhood anonymous; an open discussion on being a dad.

    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    I'm going to venture a guess you guys have not really looked closely at the social media accounts of today's tweens and teens.
    Youíd probably be wrong, then.

    ETA: ďUs guysíĒ inclination between the potentially harmful effects of social media vs video games are generally supported by studies and professionals. But I understand that nothing is really as clear as all that. Still, thereís something profound and profoundly different about social media that is unique to the format.
    focus.

  22. #1597
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    20,604


    Cross posting a mikeyb post from the Robb gaffney thread. .

    He’s so right. I’ve intuitively done much of what he says. When my boys get rad I coach them how to do it safely. And let them send. Mom? Not so much.

    My boys are soon on their own. I worry sometimes. But I trust them. I have to. I doubt they’ll do half the dumb shit I did. Or maybe they’ll outdo me. Either way they have to fly.

  23. #1598
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    6,844
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Still, there’s something profound and profoundly different about social media that is unique to the format.
    Yes. For starters, on social media you don't spend hours a day behind a screen pretending to crash cars, kill people, and blow shit up.

  24. #1599
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    my own little world
    Posts
    5,585
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Yes. For starters, on social media you don't spend hours a day behind a screen pretending to crash cars, kill people, and blow shit up.
    Sure. You can intuit all kinds of stuff from that. Iím not a video game player, and neither are my kids (though they did go through phases), but my off the cuff opinion is that video games have the capacity to teach focus, problem solving, and teamwork with their friends and is a perfectly valid bonding experience around accomplishing objectives and setting goals. Quite frankly, Iíd gladly take the trade of them spending half of the time they spend scrolling TikTok or instagram on video games.

    Itís dangerous for us to apply our experience and environment growing up to what our kids are and will experience in their very different lifetimes. Theyíll be competing with their peers, not us. Eventually. Even so, studies and professionals actually do support my supposings, and they donít support yours. Make of that whatever you want.
    focus.

  25. #1600
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Bend
    Posts
    1,216
    Quote Originally Posted by Choss Jonger, Sr. View Post
    Our little girl, Mica Magnolia, is four months old and the best thing either of us have ever been a part of.

    She is increasingly insistent that she spend her day time upright on her feet. It goes so fast, this pure magic of new family.
    Congrats! Fun times. Love the name, too. If I had known how much fun it was going to be I probably would have done it sooner.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •