Hoji Free and Warden MNC bindings

Hi folks -

Does anyone know if the Hoji Free boots are technically compatible with Salomon Warden MNC bindings? I thought they were based on everything I've read. However, I took a new set of skis to the shop today to get bindings mounted. I am mounting a set of Warden MNC bindings from another older set of skis. The shop told me that the boots were technically not compatible, and while they'd fit, they will fail all of the tests and will require me to sign a number of waivers releasing liability. They also suggested it was quite dangerous, though didn't quite say that.

Now I'm a bit confused since I thought that the Hoji Free boots were compatible with all MNC bindings. I can't find information on Dynafit's website, so does anyone know? (I've searched the forums for old threads on this and couldn't find any but if this has already been discussed, would love to know)

Thanks in advance!

i usesd hoji frees with warden MNCs without issue.

hoji frees do fall under the 9523 standard and should work in all MNC bindings.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by jhebda View Post
    Does anyone know if the Hoji Free boots are technically compatible with Salomon Warden MNC bindings
    Yes. The Hoji Free has an ISO 9523 sole and is compatible with the Warden 13 and 11 MNC bindings.

What is it with shops and boot/binding compatibility misunderstandings? I had a shop sell a friend some hoji pro tours (not the frees) last week after assuring her they were compatible with her kingpins...

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

unless I’m crazy the Hoji (tour or free) plays just fine with kingpins. No issues with speednose.

so I think in this instance the shop is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    What is it with shops and boot/binding compatibility misunderstandings? I had a shop sell a friend some hoji pro tours (not the frees) last week after assuring her they were compatible with her kingpins...

Quote Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post

unless I’m crazy the Hoji (tour or free) plays just fine with kingpins. No issues with speednose.

so I think in this instance the shop is right.
    Well now I'm curious, interwebs has a lot of "not compatible" talk due to too small of a heel welt? Free definitely seems fine.

Sorry to hijack!

The heel welt is smaller on the pro then the free. No go for kings.

Remind me again what the point of Kingpins is supposed to be? I'm amazed that binding is still in production. It belongs in the dust bin with a bunch of other tech bindings from the "growing pains" era we're just beginning to emerge from with AT gear.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    The heel welt is smaller on the pro then the free. No go for kings.
    This. The Hoji Free has a 9523 heel and toe (heel is 8mm deep plus or minus 1mm). The Pro Tour is about 6mm. The rollers on the Kingpin are designed to function properly with 8mm deep heels.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Remind me again what the point of Kingpins is supposed to be? I'm amazed that binding is still in production. It belongs in the dust bin with a bunch of other tech bindings from the "growing pains" era we're just beginning to emerge from with AT gear.
    I mean I pretty much agree, but there are a lot of them floating around still. Tecton is far superior if you want that style binding IMHO but kingpins do seem to have a mysterious following.

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    I mean I pretty much agree, but there are a lot of them floating around still. Tecton is far superior if you want that style binding IMHO but kingpins do seem to have a mysterious following.
    i think they are just easier to get due to the distribution issues with tectons.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I mean I’ve gone four years on a pair with zero problem and great results. Two one another pair. No issues. Shifts are still a complete shit show after three years. Absolute garbage.

I’d also say though if I was skiing out west in more open areas there is zero chance I’d be on kings. I would be on a full tech. I guess I feel safer with the releases on the kingpin in the tight trees. I have been snagged a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post

I’d also say though if I was skiing out west in more open areas there is zero chance I’d be on kings. I would be on a full tech. I guess I feel safer with the releases on the kingpin in the tight trees. I have been snagged a few times.
    I feel pretty safe tree skiing with a tech heel, I've been snagged multiple times early season and had a proper release with Ions and Crests. What makes you think the lateral release of a kingpin is any more reliable?

I know there was a lot of issues with kingpin here on TGR, localy I know a group of carpenters who broke 5 in a weekend on a tour and another big guy at the hill who broke 5 in a season

but further out east shop bro told me well he had almost zero issues with kingpin, just one binding and sure enough I found a box in the shop that said "kingpin warranty" with one broken binding in it another box had some spare kingpin parts ... wtf eh

So I know there were problems it was just not clear to me what, so would i buy one

no
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Been on the KP for years, skiing it hard without issue. ~ 40'K per year + some resort days

Also just picked up a pair of Tectons, and have been pretty impressed with the elasticity and simplicity of that binding...but using the risers compared to the KPs is a tad harder.
    "Poop is funny" - Frank Reynolds

www.experiencedgear.net

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    I feel pretty safe tree skiing with a tech heel, I've been snagged multiple times early season and had a proper release with Ions and Crests. What makes you think the lateral release of a kingpin is any more reliable?
    Testing marker royals on the machine they always test well in the heel. I’m not going to say it’s more reliable. I believe all of these companies make quality products or they go out of business. There are lots of failed binding brands.

What I do like is the feel of a clamp grabbing a heel lug over pins in the heel. I feel like the ride and dampness is better and I also feel like I can get a little more rowdy. I also like that the toe piece of the marker sits with more height then a lot of others. I add 2mm lifts to the heels of my kings and it feels like an alpine binding and I can drive the ski hard.

It’s based more off a trust issue for me. Also.... just because I’m a realist, even though I think marker is great, I live very very close to the warehouse so my thought was always I’d be able to get a quick replacement when something exploded. Nothing has yet. Who knows though, my duke pt could be a ticking time bomb.

I also have the jigs for royals and kingpins, so it keeps it simple.

I’m not advocating for marker only. I just know what works wells for me. I’m definitely an outlier from the general public on how I like things set up and I can feel a lot through my feet.

There are a box of shift warranty replacements in the shop under the bench, including my bosses toes. No marker issues. We also sold 45 shifts this year. So who knows.