Help with MTB Project tracking

Maybe this is more of a tech talk Q, but...

My current phone doesn't track rides properly, using MTB Project app. The old phone did. So I think it's something in settings, but I can't find it or figure it out. Halp plz.

Phone is a Motorola Moto G Power, running Android 10. GPS permissions are turned on for the app. The GPS permission profile for MTB Project only gives me one option: either off, or on when the app is running - I can't set it to have permission at all times.

The problem is this: when I start tracking a ride, the app tracks the start point, and then only tracks again when I open the app in the middle of the ride (or at the end). So it records my track as being in a straight line between the start and wherever I open the app to look at it.

Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Look in location settings/app permissions. Make sure mtb project has permission to use location at all times - not just when you are using the app.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Look in location settings/app permissions. Make sure mtb project has permission to use location at all times - not just when you are using the app.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    That's what I thought it most likely is, but I can't turn on location at all times for this app. It's just not an option in the Android settings, and the MTB Project app just refers over to Android settings for location.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Use another app.

There are a ton of them.
    Trailforks, Strava, Gaia, anything that creates the file.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Have you tried just locking the screen from the app and not going back to the home screen? Sounds like the app is closing out completely rather than running in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
    Have you tried just locking the screen from the app and not going back to the home screen? Sounds like the app is closing out completely rather than running in the background.
    Do you mean just leaving MTB Project open, and clicking the power button to turn off the screen? (not full power off) Yes, I tried that. No difference.

The other thing that buggers a lot of these apps on a phone is using some other app during a ride. like a camera or some such.

Doesn't sound like the case here.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Try uninstalling the app and reinstall. Sometimes shit just gets weird.

There was recently some weird stuff affecting Android apps on lots of phones. This was fixed by going to play store and updating or reinstalling webview, which most people probably don't even know exists. Not sure if that's your issue or not, but I had a bunch of apps crashing the other day and that was the fix.
    Also, Trailforks. Who actually uses mtb project?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    There was recently some weird stuff affecting Android apps on lots of phones. This was fixed by going to play store and updating or reinstalling webview, which most people probably don't even know exists. Not sure if that's your issue or not, but I had a bunch of apps crashing the other day and that was the fix.
    Hmm. I've been having issues with Trailforks, but don't see webview in my list of apps. I tried deleting and reinstalling TF on my last trip. It fixed the issue for a few weeks, but seems to be happening again. When recording a ride I'll put the phone away - app is still active, but screen is closed. If I pull the phone out later and open the screen I'll get a message asking if I want to resume recording. WTF? I never wanted it to stop. Sometimes it will have recorded, sometimes it won't have. I have to hit a couple buttons on screen to resume. Settings are set to allow TF access to location at all times. Not sure what other settings I could be missing. When I had the issue the first time, the app was super slow to show changes in location or pull up trail info, or sometimes wouldn't update at all. Seems like TF is having some technical issues.

I had the exact same problem with Strava when battery saver was on using Android. Turning that off fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by bonewrenched View Post
    I had the exact same problem with Strava when battery saver was on using Android. Turning that off fixed it.
    Same here.

Google webview was just updated on my phone, and the MTB Project tracking issue existed previously - I just hadn't bothered trying to get it to work during ski season.

Battery saver is turned off.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app - will go ride today and see if that makes a difference.

I'm trying to use MTB Project instead of Trailforks since TF decided to charge users to use their own data. Kinda annoys me.

My phone has something called adaptive battery, which defaults to on. I found this blog post discussing issues with that feature and using a Fitbit, so I'll try these changes too:

https://medium.com/@bucknall/android...s-e1cc118dd341

My phone settings are laid out different from what is described in that app. But I found how to get there in Android 10. Posting here for reference for anyone else having tracking issues with their phones:

Open phone settings

Select Apps & notifications

Select advanced

Select special app access

Select battery optimization

Drop down button - switch to all apps

Scroll to app for which you want to turn off optimization (MTB Project, whatever) - select it, turn off optimization on popup window.

Cool, thanks! I had battery saver turned off under main settings, but TF was listed as optimized when I went in as described above. I'll try it out next ride.

Mid ride check: nope, still not working for MTB Project.

I remember having a lot of trouble with GPS when I had Motorolas. Maybe they still haven't fixed it. Ya know, since GPS is such new and cutting edge technology that is almost as old as I am.
    1 question though, is there a manual location button in the app? I remember in My Tracks that Google discontinued for some reason, but may still be available, that I was getting very frustrated with it before realizing that there was one of those location crosshairs on the upper corner that forced GPS to stay on and record.

The other possibility is battery saving. Check battery settings. You may have to exempt the app from power saving, or however that works. The phone could be shutting off precise location services to save juice even when you think it's on and working.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I tried turning off battery optimization for all apps partway through the rise. Still no difference.

Oh well.

Damn, I thought for sure I was on to something with the last one.

Has it always done this? Started recently? App update created a glitch?

My phone got an OS update from 10 to 11 and there's this awesome new feature where Bluetooth audio is glitchy. Great when I have a business call in the car.
    Also, you may still need to specifically exempt the app from certain power saving features or specifically allow certain permissions. Maybe you missed one when you installed the app?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    Yeah, I had that issue too; everything was crashing for a few hours.

And I use mtbproject and not TF. :shrug: TF charges, so that's one reason, but around here, mtbproject is as comprehensive if not more than TF.

As for the OP's issue, I had that on Strava for a while a long time ago, but it went away. No idea what caused it or what made it stop. So maybe just say some prayers to the flying spaghetti monster.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I sent a message to MTB Project about this, and they responded today with this:

Thanks very much for reaching out with that information. This is a known bug that is being reviewed and hopefully resolved soon. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Take care,
    Zander

Zander Goepfert

Adventure Projects - Product Manager, Content

After changing the hidden optimization setting on my phone TF seems to be tracking properly again. Well, when I open the screen during it ride it asks me if I want to stop recording, instead of stopping at some unknown point and then asking if I want to restart. It could just be my fat fingers, my phone's screen seems extraordinarily touch sensitive. But regardless it is progress!

Bump for update: I don't know why, but MTB Project is tracking my rides again properly. Maybe they updated the app.