Petition To Reinstate U​.​S. National Forest Access from the Park City Ridge

http://chng.it/WmtpdgTVNg

From what I remember & understand Public Lands Access was part of what helped get this lift built.

Bad decision & bad precedent for such a huge player in skiworld.

Done. At a minimum it should be open on low/mod days IMO.

done

benneke10 can clarify but if i recall correctly the forest service has NOTHING to do with this. it's not their call at all, it's 100% vail corp's. vail just uses the USFS as a convenient scapegoat to channel the anger of PC locals

Yeah the petition is for Vail, as the decision is completely up to them. Glad someone is at least doing something other than just grumbling, everyone should sign even if you don't ski PCMR. A lot of the skiers who would be using the gate are now adding to the cottonwood red snakes

why were the gates closed?

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    why were the gates closed?
    Click link, read:
    "Following the second tragic avalanche accident this season and a period of extreme avalanche conditions, Vail Resorts closed the Canyons backcountry access gates indefinitely."

Although the resort has never done that in the past to my knowledge even after fatalities

If I remember right (use that saying more and more lately) the permit to build and operate that lift on account of Pave Our Canyons had a clause that specified open access to FS lands even though the lift ended below the ridgeline.
    Would someone more techno savvy than me please post up a map of who owns what at the top of 9990 to the ridgeline?
    Thanks in advance...
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    done

benneke10 can clarify but if i recall correctly the forest service has NOTHING to do with this. it's not their call at all, it's 100% vail corp's. vail just uses the USFS as a convenient scapegoat to channel the anger of PC locals
    They may not be the ones pulling the strings, but if there was a deal involving FS access with regards to the lift then they would likely be a party in the deal and could certainly put pressure on Vail if enough pressure was put on them. I would think if there actually was a deal it would be incumbent upon them to sue for access.

signed, but what is a cottonwood red snake? Picturing it, it almost sounds like a strava reference.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

I could see them keeping it closed this year if they are planning to implement a beacon, shovel, partner program next year.
    What did Snowbird do this year? How did they get around the going inside the shack to sign out regimen during covid?
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    signed, but what is a cottonwood red snake? Picturing it, it almost sounds like a strava reference.
    Non stop brake lights from Brighton and Alta to Sev everyday 7-10 & 3-5

While I support access to public lands I find it amusing that a bunch of locals think Vail gives a fuck.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Don’t worry bros, any minute now straightchuter will be up there to steal that gate.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Don’t worry bros, any minute now straightchuter will be up there to steal that gate.
    Ha
    good one

My preference would be to recognize and make official the dirtbag skinner from the top of Saddleback. That would save competent backcountry travelers a lift ride and also prevent gapes easy access to Squaretop and Dutch's Draw.

Because it's a sensible solution and doesn't involve $18 cheeseburgers, there's no way that it'll happen. Broomfield isn't interested in that shit.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by telefreewasatch View Post
    If I remember right (use that saying more and more lately) the permit to build and operate that lift on account of Pave Our Canyons had a clause that specified open access to FS lands even though the lift ended below the ridgeline.
    Would someone more techno savvy than me please post up a map of who owns what at the top of 9990 to the ridgeline?
    Thanks in advance...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9990top.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	597.2 KB 
ID:	369548

This is from Gaia with the Public Land layer. The dark green is USFS. The light blue is labeled as "State of Utah School and Institutional Trust Lands Administration". Not sure how current that is but you can see where the boundary is with private property easily.
    "Holy Cow!" someone exclaimed from the back of the stationwagon.