Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: The big, stuck boat

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Nope, those who pay the least are on top, it costs more to have your container lower down.
    That's not how vessel stow plans work. It's all about port of call rotations and the least amount of handling of the containers. But if you want to get your container on a certain vessel, you can certainly pay a surcharge to do so.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    At least it isn't Stuckathuntermtn.
    StuckatSuezCanal?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    That's not how vessel stow plans work. It's all about port of call rotations and the least amount of handling of the containers. But if you want to get your container on a certain vessel, you can certainly pay a surcharge to do so.
    My bad, a friend had heard high up on the stack brought some kind of discount due to more of a chance of falling off. Maybe that was represented by insurance rates, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    So a friends kid walks into the room and sees the Suez story on the tube- shakes his head in disgust and says "Dad, they just need to get a really big wench".
    I think he's on to something here...
    Not sure what a BBW would add to the situation. Maybe some positive buoyancy?
    No longer stuck.

Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    X
    Not bad. Chin's a little prominent, though.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Assuming most of the the stuff on any container ship is consumer goods I don't see where they get those loss figures. So the Walmart in Peoria gets their lawn chairs a couple weeks late, so what?

Obviously stuff needed for further manufacturing like circuit boards would be much higher value but I wonder if high-value shit like that even travels by container.
    The entire retail world and associated supply chains are predicated on inventory turns. Every retail space from Walmart to car dealerships to Dick's to 7-11 calculates how quickly they can turn inventory per square foot, then meticulouslyand systematically maximizes every square for maximum turn. If that inventory is late by even a day, their calculus goes awry and generally the vendor is penalized accordingly. Loss....you has it.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I think it was done intentionally. Not sure why.

I bet the locals are licking their chops waiting for containers full of stuff to get dropped in the sand.
    I can't tell you how much shit we've gotten off of flipped semi's around Golden. Crock pots, cedar shakes, McDonalds fries, frozen chickens, TV's. That word travels fast in a small town.

Shouldnt be long nowName:  20210327_200822.jpeg
Views: 957
Size:  30.1 KB

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    The entire retail world and associated supply chains are predicated on inventory turns. Every retail space from Walmart to car dealerships to Dick's to 7-11 calculates how quickly they can turn inventory per square foot, then meticulouslyand systematically maximizes every square for maximum turn. If that inventory is late by even a day, their calculus goes awry and generally the vendor is penalized accordingly. Loss....you has it.
    FFS

Name:  E17BE087-055B-4478-8FD2-48923CC61DCA.jpeg
Views: 948
Size:  80.5 KB

Assuming most of the the stuff on any container ship is consumer goods I don't see where they get those loss figures. So the Walmart in Peoria gets their lawn chairs a couple weeks late, so what?

Obviously stuff needed for further manufacturing like circuit boards would be much higher value but I wonder if high-value shit like that even travels by container.
    Yea those definitely aren’t loss figures. Most are delayed shipments that will be received and any losses made up in short order. Some will be lost though.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Unprecedented???? How???? Divorce settlements have been splitting assets up for years. Just because there's a lot of zeros somehow makes it different???
    How does it not? There are enough zeros that you can't even wrap your head around how much money that is, even if you think you can. It's a stupid thing to argue about. What are you even arguing? What is your point other than that I am wrong? That is is totally not a big deal whatsoever? Sure.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

It's a lot less than 50%, I say she got robbed.

It's a lot less than 50%, I say she got robbed.
    Ok great. All my comments have been irrespective of whether she deserved it or not. Despite posters hypersensitivity to perceived misogyny, my observation was just about that can happen. Thats more wealth than many nations.

People who don't have anything to say besides arguing against what someone else says are a waste of time so I bid you gooday sir.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

FFS
    Too much?

Maybe a touch.

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    Apparently, saying “I’m gunna jam you like that boat in the Suez Canal” is neither romantic nor an appropriate way to initiate sex.

Not sure this belongs in this thread, but just thought I’d give you guys a heads up.
    Ineptly, to the side, then just stopping suddenly, but refusing to pull out while mainting eye contact for far far far too long?

Yea thats my standard MO too, don't know what's not to like.

I am really amused by the concept of them digging it out like a big truck that got high centered.
    Not a salvage guy, but... 400,000 ton ship stuck in the sand. It's still mostly afloat, so if it's 10% stuck, they need a 40,000 ton push to move it (wild guess that sand stickiness is 1:1). They want to move using little boats that can generate 100 or 200 tons of force. Likely less once they get some circular currents going - can't push as hard against water already moving in the direction you want to push against. (though the same currents may help erode the sand). In short, yes, gotta dig out/dredge the high center (or liquefaction it?). Looks fun!

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    How long does the collective think it's going to take?
    I am thinking faster than the concordia. It's still gonna be there a week from now. It's gonna take awhile for the giant tugs that move those things time to get in there.
    Till tomorrow. BBC article says they moved it 30 degrees and back. Ought to be able rock it loose pretty fast if they can move it that much. Although... it is pretty big. If it takes 10 minutes to rock one way, they need to rock it say 50ish times to free it (49 with crew standing on stern ), and can only rock it 2 hours on either side of high tide... then it might be stuck a few days longer. I think that dredge really sucks, so even if they miss they high tide, they'll still get it done.

30degs?!?
    That’s a huge amount

Link?

seems to me they could move some sand underwater with bigass hoses if they had pumps strong enough to generate enough psi.

I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Till tomorrow. BBC article says they moved it 30 degrees and back. Ought to be able rock it loose pretty fast if they can move it that much. Although... it is pretty big. If it takes 10 minutes to rock one way, they need to rock it say 50ish times to free it (49 with crew standing on stern ), and can only rock it 2 hours on either side of high tide... then it might be stuck a few days longer. I think that dredge really sucks, so even if they miss they high tide, they'll still get it done.