Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...7jytvDE7-7MnLI

interesting artical on the whys and where fores of the future of container shipping
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

interesting artical on the whys and where fores of the future of container shipping
    Crazy. I remember when I got into the biz, cntr ships were 4k TEU vessels. Everyone was blown away when they went to 10k TEU's. Unless the ILA and ILUW get with the 21st century, these larger vessels will take way too long to unload and load in the States. Even in Europe they don't have the space to discharge so many cntrs and get them out the gates w/o creating bottlenecks. Then throw in lack of commercial truck drivers and you have some serious issues with no place to put all those cntrs. Even running 24/7 ops, which for the most part all ports do already you have problems. LA/LGB ports are complete clusters right now. Seattle/Tacoma are getting just as bad.

IDK, maybe if there was a proposal for a couple trillion in infrastructure investment in America, they might be able to help the situation. Oh, wait. Never mind.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Crazy. I remember when I got into the biz, cntr ships were 4k TEU vessels. Everyone was blown away when they went to 10k TEU's. Unless the ILA and ILUW get with the 21st century, these larger vessels will take way too long to unload and load in the States. Even in Europe they don't have the space to discharge so many cntrs and get them out the gates w/o creating bottlenecks. Then throw in lack of commercial truck drivers and you have some serious issues with no place to put all those cntrs. Even running 24/7 ops, which for the most part all ports do already you have problems. LA/LGB ports are complete clusters right now. Seattle/Tacoma are getting just as bad.

IDK, maybe if there was a proposal for a couple trillion in infrastructure investment in America, they might be able to help the situation. Oh, wait. Never mind.
    you still got waterways that are not deep enough so they are talking about dredging ports and even the straits of Malacca and then it takes longer to get a berth to unload/ reload, also the boats are so big they are already like a sail in bad weatehr ... an interesting box of dominos

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i cant say i haznt maybe indicaed when i should of sativaed
    and reefered some rocks on the green a time or 2
    looks like you are stuck high and dry there

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    high for sure

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post

https://newatlas.com/marine/oceanbir...il-cargo-ship/

Don’t forget a return to wind.

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    High. And dry. But not swamped.

It’s amazing the stern hasn’t taken on water.
    . . .

If you're waiting for stuff off Ever Given you might be in for a really long wait.

https://theloadstar.com/lengthy-wait...neral-average/

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    If you're waiting for stuff off Ever Given you might be in for a really long wait.

https://theloadstar.com/lengthy-wait...neral-average/
    ^^^ learned something new. Thanks for posting. Never heard of “General Average” before. The concept makes sense, but I had no idea it worked that way.

Yeah, some of those people will be screwed. I wonder if any of those containers had a Lamborghini in them ? If so, maybe that Suez Diggerman dude is going to be rolling like a rock star.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Egypt seizes the Ever Given, saying its owners owe nearly $1 billion for Suez Canal traffic jam
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...cid=uxbndlbing

What could possibly go worng?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    What could possibly go worng?
    Web redemption!

Don't think you've seen this one.

Name:  Boat stuck Caney Fork.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  113.9 KB

It was 5:30 one morning dark and foggy so the light bar was useless. We were running up the Caney Fork River near Nashville. The Tennessee Valley Authority releases water into their rivers to make power. There is an app that shows predicted flows and levels.

Somehow, we didn't check the app. We were running under power on plane, came upon an area I didn't know, and made a decision to run right instead of left. At 5:30, there was about 4" of water where the boat is sitting. Normally, it might have made it over the bar, but I had backed off a bit and it was drafting more than at full power on plane.

We came to a grinding halt. Realized TVA had turned off the water. Got the boat turned about half way around. By this time, the water had dropped, leaving us high and dry. Sat there from 5:30 until 7:30 at which time the water return and we floated away. Long day watching about 500 recreational kayakers go by asking how we got there. We did catch a bunch of trout. Dug the trench in hopes that a one hour pulse would get us out. Nope.

Fun times.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

^Beer helps in those situations^

Also causes some of those situations too.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    ^Beer helps in those situations^
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Also causes some of those situations too.
    "Beer, the cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." -- a brilliant philosopher
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My HS buddy was in his jet boat on a river, god only knows how many high life’s in and made a turn to see a boat in the way. He turned away avoiding hitting them and flew up the bank into the woods. Luckily no one was seriously hurt. He left his GF with the boat to go get a winch and pull it back out to the river. They managed to get home in one piece but about 5 hours post accident. It was summer in Michigan so they got eaten ALIVE by mosquitoes. Serves them right though for their recklessness and endangering those people. I think he learned a lesson that day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Well, that's all that's important. What was the lesson?

Always have bug spray with you.

In a similar vein to TNKen and neufox some friends and I took a boat to a little unnamed island in the inland passage of SE AK. Where we dropped acid.

When we came back to the boat six or so hours later, the boat was about 50 yards from water. We forgot that AK tides are fucking big and we were approaching a full moon.

So we dropped again and waited another 12 hours for the tide to come back in.

We had plenty of bug spray. And beer
    But we ran out of munchies and had to forage for shellfish and berries

The big, stuck boat

Don’t drink and boat and if you do definitely don’t be throttling your jet boat around a narrow river. They were the little stuck boat. That fucking jet boat was all but fine though even after launching 50’ in the air.

Bump.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220314-190454.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	409546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220314-190546.jpeg 
Views:	170 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	409547

Just barely stuck is stuck I believe. Is that company in the shipping business or the storage business?

Funny reply went unappreciated at the time VV

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    My HS buddy was in his jet boat on a river, god only knows how many high life’s in and made a turn to see a boat in the way. He turned away avoiding hitting them and flew up the bank into the woods. Luckily no one was seriously hurt. He left his GF with the boat to go get a winch and pull it back out to the river. They managed to get home in one piece but about 5 hours post accident. It was summer in Michigan so they got eaten ALIVE by mosquitoes. Serves them right though for their recklessness and endangering those people. I think he learned a lesson that day.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This went under appreciated first time round.
    I still call it The Jake.