Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

K2 pressing skis in the good ole USA again

Seems newsworthy that K2 just released a limited 50 units run of mindbenders made in WA at their ARC.

https://k2snow.com/en-us/p/mindbender-106-ti-usa-skis
    Harvest the ride.

Wow I love my MBs but not to the tune of $1200.

Glad to hear they're making skis in WA again though--anyone know if these are being made on vashon?

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    Wow I love my MBs but not to the tune of $1200.

Glad to hear they're making skis in WA again though--anyone know if these are being made on vashon?

I bought my daughter a pair of the Pinnacle Jr. and they had the worst finish I've ever seen on a pair of skis. Never. Again.

What's the deal with the hybrid cap/sidewall construction? Atomic does it as well, but seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by PhishingME View Post
    What's the deal with the hybrid cap/sidewall construction? Atomic does it as well, but seems odd.
    Lots of companies do it. Sidewall underfoot for edge hold, cap at the tips and tails for topsheet durability. K2 doesn't make anything on Vashon anymore, all the presses are on the mainland, south of Seattle. They've always prototyped in the US, you just haven't been able to buy them.

Why is it a 106 rather than 108ti? Different ski?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mtdurk View Post

I’m also wondering this.

Also can we have the 116ti now?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    I’m also wondering this.

Also can we have the 116ti now?
    Preach!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Lots of companies do it. Sidewall underfoot for edge hold, cap at the tips and tails for topsheet durability. K2 doesn't make anything on Vashon anymore, all the presses are on the mainland, south of Seattle. They've always prototyped in the US, you just haven't been able to buy them.
    Kastle fx95 hp is same semi cap at tips. Best built ski I’ve been on. And total badass ski.

Quote Originally Posted by mtdurk View Post

Yeah wondering where it falls in the weight continuum, if it's heavier than the 108ti like the 99ti is.

TBH, I'd probably pay $900ish retail for some USA made Shreditor 112s or the 118mm Obsetheds, with beefy quality materials. I'd buy BOTH those. You hear me K2! F this Reckoner noise, too light for me inbounds.

Quote Originally Posted by AEV View Post
    TBH, I'd probably pay $900ish retail for some USA made Shreditor 112s or the 118mm Obsetheds, with beefy quality materials. I'd buy BOTH those. You hear me K2! F this Reckoner noise, too light for me inbounds.
    Nothing wrong with the reckoners.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

K2 lost me yrs ago, way before china production.
    K2 has never used beefy quality materials.
    I wouldn't mind skiing them, but I'm not forkin' over hard earned duckets for 'em

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    K2 lost me yrs ago, way before china production.
    K2 has never used beefy quality materials.
    I wouldn't mind skiing them, but I'm not forkin' over hard earned duckets for 'em
    Well, recently they changed. Don't know about quality of wood or epoxy, but I saw K2 is using 2.5 edges and 1.8mm base for some skis, which is the same as ON3P does. Even Moment is using thinner edges and base.

Everyone loves a good comeback story. I really don’t have a opinion on price add for made in the USA but there is a clear market for it. I like my mindbenders which were the first K2’s I have owned since my SLC’s in 1995 maybe? Good for them for making decisions based on what skiers want not what the boardroom wants.

Looks like the 106ti is 1800 ish grams vs 2200 grams for the 108ti in the 186

Quote Originally Posted by HukuTa_KydecHuk View Post
    Well, recently they changed. Don't know about quality of wood or epoxy, but I saw K2 is using 2.5 edges and 1.8mm base for some skis, which is the same as ON3P does. Even Moment is using thinner edges and base.
    K2's from my experience have super soft sidewalls(unless finally changed) meaning minor little bent edge compressions.
    If you want to bring in ON3P to this, at least the 3P's are 2/3's the price

Quote Originally Posted by tuco View Post
    K2's from my experience have super soft sidewalls(unless finally changed) meaning minor little bent edge compressions.
    If you want to bring in ON3P to this, at least the 3P's are 2/3's the price
    2/3's the price for 1/2 the performance!

On your feet, I don't doubt that

Quote Originally Posted by L8APX View Post
    Everyone loves a good comeback story. I really don’t have a opinion on price add for made in the USA but there is a clear market for it. I like my mindbenders which were the first K2’s I have owned since my SLC’s in 1995 maybe? Good for them for making decisions based on what skiers want not what the boardroom wants.

Looks like the 106ti is 1800 ish grams vs 2200 grams for the 108ti in the 186
    Yeah, I do wish them well.

When I was young I skied K2s, we are talking K2 3s, 4s, Comps. They were made in the US and were a leading edge brand. They were acquired and it was all down hill from there. They were acquired again and a couple of years ago Jed Yeiser was hired as lead ski designer. It seems to me their new skis are very good from a design standpoint. The Mindbender 108 TI that I have been skiing for two years has held up quite well and is a great ski. It will be interesting to if they continue down the road to a return to respectability .

It's so strange that people think K2 built in the USA = quality. When K2 was still building on Vashon the only good thing about their freeride skis was that they were so easy to delaminate you could buy one pair and warranty the broken ones for years. That worked even after they added rivets (you could still delaminate them between the rivets). Of course, construction is different now so these will certainly be better, but the whole USA made = stronger/better is a total myth.

I think we will see a few Asian made brands experiment with domestic manufacturing in the next 12mos... I imagine there will be some learning curves....

Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    It's so strange that people think K2 built in the USA = quality. When K2 was still building on Vashon the only good thing about their freeride skis was that they were so easy to delaminate you could buy one pair and warranty the broken ones for years. That worked even after they added rivets (you could still delaminate them between the rivets). Of course, construction is different now so these will certainly be better, but the whole USA made = stronger/better is a total myth.
    I was thinking the same thing. The warranty rate on the USA made skis was astronomical, quality actually went up when they moved to china. Can't say they skied any better but the warranty rate went way down.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by MD12 View Post
    Kastle fx95 hp is same semi cap at tips. Best built ski I’ve been on. And total badass ski.
    Interesting. Do they utilize that construction for stuff out of the race room?

Guess I'm old school as I like my full sidewalls. Must be cheaper to do hybrid than change the core materials?

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    This ^^ anything you can make in the USA can be made somewhere else in the world, just as well, probably cheaper

including COVID
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    2/3's the price for 1/2 the performance!
    Show me on the doll where they hurt you.
    Training for Alpental