Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Review: Praxis FRS 188 enduro

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1616629655.116091.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	368914

The praxis FRS 188 with black 916s - incredible build quality!

Name:	Image1616629556.206634.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	355.9 KB 
ID:	368913

The conditions I took them into at Bridger Bowl for a week in February - epic!

This isn’t going to be a straightforward Blister-style review, so buckle up.

Here in Southwest Montana, we’ve had quite a weird winter. Very little snow in November and December, with a bit more of a tease in January. Fortunes changed in February, when a huge dump dropped about 4-5 feet of snow in three weeks.

I hurriedly mounted up the #4 flex enduro core FRS and took them out to Bridger Bowl for 5 epic days of powder skiing.

We’re not talking just regular pow skiing. This was thigh to waist deep powder, that lasted all day in true storm- skiing fashion.

Name:	Image1616627736.260414.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	595.8 KB 
ID:	368905

Most of my shredding on the FRS took place on the fabled ridge area of Bridger, where this ski really shined in steep, tight areas with relatively untracked pow.

Think turn-on-a-dime skiing at slow speeds, and very nimble handling. Faster skiing and high speed run-outs were a bit of a challenge, but more on that later.

I’d say the best conditions for the FRS became apparent when I steered them down a very steep chute called “Madman’s” that was filled with relatively untouched, dense powder from a high SWE storm that came in on the tail of February.

Due to the flat camber and fat 119mm waist, this ski simply wants to float on all kinds of tricky snow, and pivot everywhere you point it.

However, this nimble character comes at an expense of stability - at least in the 188cm enduro core model I skied.

Name:	Image1616631406.440677.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	989.0 KB 
ID:	368926

When finishing up a steep line, or raging out of a chute, I sadly could not push my weight into the shovels of these skis without the tips turning into little, underpowered submarines and diving into the abyss.

This meant that everything had to be skied quite carefully and centered, with just a small portion of the ski truly feeling balanced.

A bit about me: I’m about 6 foot, 1 inch, and weigh about 200 pounds fully suited and booted. I ski quite regularly in Southwest Montana, and I also guide for a few different backcountry ski operations.

It’s of note that I mounted these -1 from the recommended line, and emailed Keith about my issues with the stability. He suggested a -2 or even -3 mount, but also said if I wasn’t vibing with them it probably wasn’t the mount point.

My experience with FRS’ lack of a “sweet spot” turned out to be quite exhausting when moving further down the mountain into areas of chopped up powder or crud.

Trying to arc these into big turns in deep chop became impossible, with the only option really to make small controlled turns, moving from one island of snow to the next, and try not to get kicked around.

I’m not sure what layup Tabke is running for his FRS, but I’m damn sure he’s a ninja to rage and charge on them. I certainly couldn’t do it, and sold my pair to Shredeagle, who apparently loves them.

I also just mounted up a pair of 190 Moment Wildcats in the standard layup, and I was able to rage on them right away.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
    Last edited by SUPERIOR; 03-24-2021 at 06:19 PM.

I also have a pair of these in 188 enduro core, and my experience is a little different than yours. Here's what I think (some copied from the praxis thread).

Spent the past few days enjoying the free refills at first and ending with spring style skiing as it warmed up considerably in Mammoth. Personally, I have nothing but praise for this ski. Mine is a #4 flex with enduro core (Maple/Aspen/Ash). Has a hefty tip and tail rocker and subtle camber.

Overall I think the FRS is quite predictable and stable, and most notably it wants to ruuuuun.

I spoke to Keith about these after having Praxis and the MVP/GPO recommended by a buddy (who is a phenomenal skier), and Keith and I settled on the #4 enduro core being very fitting for me. I'm 5'10, 150lbs, pretty aggressive and coming from a 184 Moment Bibby (2017 era) to fill its spot in my quiver. I'm a pretty strong and playful skier, but obviously not anything to the levels Tabke is. I can tell these skis are designed for his ski style, but of course he has a beefier flex, layup or both. I have them mounted with STH2s on the rec line which is -6cm iirc.

These skis are very stable for me. They have no problems in runouts from drops or charging in general. I don't think they compare to a strong ski with titanal of course, but for the type of ski these are and at my weight, they are quite damp in mank and chop. It certainly feels beefier and damper than the Bibby.

Since the ski doesn't have a huge amount of camber I've found they're fairly easy to flick into a slash, which also contributes to these sticks having such a strong playful side. The forward-ish mount makes them surprisingly comfortable in the air. Landings on drops feel extra stomp-able probably due to the dampness of the ski, but also because I don't feel like I'm bucked off center at any point. I wouldn't say these have a particularly strong amount of pop, but they also don't feel that loose on a pop like a reverse camber ski would (i.e. my old meridians).

In the mammoth powder these did exactly what I told them to at every input. They could quickly pop around to switch, and then switch again, and it made me feel like a rockstar backstage in a different kind of white room.

As for comparisons to the 184 Bibby, I'd say it's less playful but more stable... but then again that bibby is a clearly smaller ski. And so with that being said, even though I've never ridden the filled out 190 bibby/wildcat, I'd wager it's fairly similar to this 188 FRS. It certainly aims to fill a similar kinda role (i.e. Josh Bibby big mtn freestyle, Drew Tabke big mtn freestyle)

For a fat ski it does pretty decent job at railing loooong arced gs-like turns on the groomers back to the lift, not exceptional and this obviously isn't what this ski is made for, but as good as a 119 ski can anyway.

I highly recommend the FRS. I'm stoked about it. It's just such a damn good ski.

I'll be taking it to Silverton on Wednesday for some long lines from a heli

some pics:

Name:	IMG_6971.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.49 MB 
ID:	368916

Name:	IMG_0BE2B180D558-1.jpeg 
Views:	137 
Size:	825.0 KB 
ID:	368919

Name:	IMG_DB4FAF7C1CAB-1.jpeg 
Views:	99 
Size:	792.8 KB 
ID:	368924

Name:	IMG_6821.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	443.6 KB 
ID:	368917

Name:	IMG_6765.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	368918
    Last edited by macon; 03-29-2021 at 01:36 PM.
    aerospace eng with a gravity fetish
    ig

Macon, I’m betting our weight differences speak volumes about our experiences. I wonder if a #5 flex or heavy hitter core would have helped me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Yeah that'd make sense. To me they feel like they'd be a great ski for a taller/larger skier as well, but I'm not a taller/larger skier so I don't really know.

Anyway, it's probably worth a chat with Keith for future orders cause he really dialed it in for me.

Superior, I'd like to know how the 190 Wildcats compare in similar conditions
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERIOR View Post
    I also just mounted up a pair of 190 Moment Wildcats in the standard layup, and I was able to rage on them right away.

Feel free to ask me any questions.
    Where did you mount your boot center in relation to recommended on the Wildcats?

I have my Wildcats about +2 and the FRS was -1

I’d prefer the wildcats on the line, but bought a used pair and kept the current mount.

The 190 wildcats are noticeably stiffer

Wildcats at +2 sounds a bit funky especially if you preferred a rearward mount on the FRS.

Interesting that the 190 cats are stiffer, my FRS feel stiffer, but again, my wildcats are 184s.
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    Wildcats at +2 sounds a bit funky especially if you preferred a rearward mount on the FRS.

Interesting that the 190 cats are stiffer, my FRS feel stiffer, but again, my wildcats are 184s.
    Yeah, I chock it up to a very forgiving flex and sweet spot on the ski.

I’ve skied the 190cm Bibby tour for the last year, and it’s been the most fun ski I’ve ever experienced.

I also loved the 187cm Praxis Protest and the 187 UL GPO for reference.

At +2 on the Bibby and liking them, I'm wondering if you could've liked the FRS if it was mounted on the line?

Moot point because they're gone, just second guessing over here. I had some MVPs mounted -1 and really liked them mostly, but not entirely. Sold those, now have another pair of MVP mounted on the line and really like them the few runs I've used them. (kinda early to say if I'll like them entirely ) Just feeling better, more balanced, with the other pair mounted on the line compared to the first at -1.
    Last edited by skuff; 03-25-2021 at 07:24 AM.

Do they come longer? At your size that seems a bit under gunned

I rip the groomed on tele gear

Nice work Superior. I was meaning to write a review for the Praxis thread too. I haven't gotten these things out yet on a good day skiing without my kids - so I still haven't gotten to see the top end limit. I've probably skied them 5-10 times so far. I'm 5'9'' and 150 pounds. My other skis are 184 Bent Chet's, 182 Woodsmans, and 182 Faction 4.0's. So these are a big ski for me!! I'm a super aggressive skier. I bought the pair Superior is talking about above from him.

I freaking love these things. Skied them first on a big pow weekend with the kiddos. I could literally point them down 1/2 the mountain and be in perfect control. I mounted them on the dot. I can nose press them easily. I don't really have any other skis that are this center mounted but I really like it. I can lean forward and aggressively turn them. If I'm pointing it I can just lean back a little and they feel great with that big tail. I've been having fun trying different stances on them and they seem to rip in any stance. I'm a forward skier, and they ski great like that. But I can also shift my weight back a little and rip big carves - pretty cool. I've skied them a few times on hard pack too - they are fun as long as it isn't ice. I can pretty much turn any ski in the moguls, but this is a big ski for me, and they don't shine there. But smooth chalk and corn - they rip. I've skied them a few runs down a chute that is just wider than ski width. I was surprised I could turn them so easily in there. Not as easy as my friend on 175 Backlands but way better than I thought. I think the big rocker on either side makes them pretty easy to smear. They are ok on groomers - they seem super stable and it is easy to go fast, but it isn't really an enjoyable carving experience - more like this is so easy it's not too exciting for me.

I'm dying to get them out on a no speed limit day without kids in tow and go freeriding. Plus I really like Tabke, so as soon as I get on them, I just like to stick my arms out and pretend I'm flying. They are easy to land airs on too.

Bottom line - I'm stoked. They are a big ski for a guy my size on harder snow, but super rippable. Tomorrow is looking like pow, sun, and no kids. So I'll try and report back!!!!

Name:	IMG_6949.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	269.3 KB 
ID:	369012

Sick! Haha, a clone army of praxis skiers!

Shred E!

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    This is more than likely my next ski. I have two pairs of quixotes which are great, but I tend to grab my reverse camber Volkls anytime there is 4+ inches of new. I think the 4 flex FRS with zero camber or even reverse would be perfect for me.

When Praxis first sold the FRS, they offered it in the same layup and flex that alto/Tabke won Hakuba on...are you ready?

Flex 2, UL core. (!!!)

I saw Tabke comment on IG that he was on the "193" FRS for the Baby Bec Verbier comp. Must be a new length? Can't find it now. Anyway, I did find he said he mounts his at +2 https://www.instagram.com/p/CMxNoAuBO59/

I have the 188 FRS in stock enduro/flex 4. (6', 195#, wedge-christie skier.) Don't have enough days on them to give a great review, but they are amazing in the air and landings. I felt like SUPERIOR that I got bucked a lot in runouts. I A/B'd them against 188 Rustler 11s on a Squaw pow day (FRS in morning, R11 in afternoon), and preferred the R11s by a lot. But then I snapped my R11s, so...I'll get more days on the FRS and post a proper review. No pow days on the horizon here in the Sierra Nevada though, so my test conditions seem limited.

Here's what I posted in the Praxis thread after two days. Funny how perceptions change:

2-day Praxis FRS review. 188, flex 4, nylon topsheet (stock model).

1 day of hardpack and winter chalk
    1 day of 4-6" little pow day

In short, these things make me feel like Mario in Super Mario, bopping the coin-making squares with raised fist. BOOM!

Stiff, sooo surfy, poppy, great landing gear, straight, and beefy, but still fun enough on groomers and can easily rail turns.

Exactly what a I wanted - a surfier, stiffer Bibby-style big mountain pow ski. Super fun, stiff pow/soft-snow ski.

Would be sick in a softer flex with UL core for touring...or winning FWT comps.

Just amazing.
    sproing!

Ok dudes. You guys got in my head. The ski may not be great in choppy run outs. But I’m thinking of it like this. This is the FRS man. Free ride ski. It excels at steep smear turns, hitting airs, and hitting straight lines. If you want to send gnar this ski is there for you. I was pretty stoked on it today. Hit a pretty sick straight line where I had to change footing left then right then both to a lip at high speed off like a 10 footer. The ski was there for me no doubt in my mind. Also hit a pretty good drop into pointing a chute then laid some big carves with my weight shifted back coming out the apron. I think this ski is designed to do free ride shit and it may not be a apron/chop killer. But I think if you treat it like a free ride comp and just kinda lean back and arc some big ones through that stuff you’ll do just fine. It’s the FRS - free ride shit. It encouraged me to go bigger. It’s not the most fun for other stuff but free ride is the most fun stuff. Ha. I only do the free ride comps in my mind😜I just get a kick out of doing the junior shit and pushing my limits. The ski encouraged me to do that and I’m stoked on it. I can see why you would want the UL if u want to throw tricks. I actually think that would be a sick ski.

I really want a 193 with a heavy core, I think that’d be sick.

Also Tabke says he mounts +2, go figure

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I have the 188 FRS in stock enduro/flex 4. (6', 195#, wedge-christie skier.) Don't have enough days on them to give a great review, but they are amazing in the air and landings. I felt like SUPERIOR that I got bucked a lot in runouts. I A/B'd them against 188 Rustler 11s on a Squaw pow day (FRS in morning, R11 in afternoon), and preferred the R11s by a lot. But then I snapped my R11s, so...I'll get more days on the FRS and post a proper review. No pow days on the horizon here in the Sierra Nevada though, so my test conditions seem limited.

From what I recall, the Rustler 11s also have a pretty rearward mount. Perhaps that's what is contributing to your thoughts on it being better in runouts/aprons? That would also align with how playful and comfortable the FRS feel to you in the air by comparison.

My FRS are on the rec line but they feel quite centered considering the amount of mass is behind me in the tails. They certainly feel more centered than my dynastar menaces which are mounted at -4. At this point I'm pretty accustomed to skiing fairly centered so the feeling of being bucked around in the runouts has not been an experience of mine on the FRS. Then again, I can't tell you the last time I was in a more traditionally mounted ski... certainly not in the past 3 years, and the FRS is the most centered-feeling of the skis in recent memory.
    ig

Quote Originally Posted by macon View Post
    From what I recall, the Rustler 11s also have a pretty rearward mount. Perhaps that's what is contributing to your thoughts on it being better in runouts/aprons? That would also align with how playful and comfortable the FRS feel to you in the air by comparison.

My FRS are on the rec line but they feel quite centered considering the amount of mass is behind me in the tails. They certainly feel more centered than my dynastar menaces which are mounted at -4. At this point I'm pretty accustomed to skiing fairly centered so the feeling of being bucked around in the runouts has not been an experience of mine on the FRS. Then again, I can't tell you the last time I was in a more traditionally mounted ski... certainly not in the past 3 years, and the FRS is the most centered-feeling of the skis in recent memory.
    Interesting. Mounted my FRS on the line, and R11 at +1, but you're probably still right about mount point relative to each other.

I actually thought the lack of smoove in runouts was the stiff(ish) enduro core with the nylon layup. The ski is stiff, but lacks some "dampness" IMO. I was thinking I'd like it better with a veneer topsheet to add more damping (/dampening). Or if Praxis could just drop a couple layers of titanal in there, I'd be stoked. PlzNThx

Anyway...I just want some pow days to verify verify verify, but ain't none coming.

ETA: just saw your comment above that you found these to be damper than a Bibbys. I definitely had the opposite experience. Maybe I got a lemon???
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    Anyway...I just want some pow days to verify verify verify, but ain't none coming.

ETA: just saw your comment above that you found these to be damper than a Bibbys. I definitely had the opposite experience. Maybe I got a lemon???
    My 184 Bibbys were also a size down from the 188 FRS, so you can probably chalk it up to that.

Large thought dump oncoming:

I don't know the exact proportions of each layup, but the Bibbys are Aspen/Ash and the FRS is Aspen/Ash/Maple. Maple and Ash have otherwise similar properties but maple is slightly stiffer and ash is slightly damper, so it'd make some sense if the 190 bibbys felt damper and the FRS felt stiffer/livelier... but I would expect those differences between skis of similar size and profile to be pretty marginal... unless the layups are wildly different which I don't think they are.

I'd wager the difference you're finding is probably more likely attributed to mount point, rider style, and lastly the shape - the bibbys having more camber, the FRS having more rocker. IME more-rockered skis like the FRS will feel less damp than more-cambered skis like the Bibby on hardened refrozen stuff (shorter effective edge), but I don't personally notice much difference in soft chop on runouts.

If anything, for me the FRS has felt like a better landing platform and more composed in the runout than my Bibby. Again, with the caveat that the Bibby was shorter.

Name:	IMG_7040.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	369601

Name:	IMG_7033.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	836.1 KB 
ID:	369596

^here's the FRS from Friday morn with about 3-4" of fresh. Not a whole lot of fresh but a data point. Charging the tracked out apron down from Hemlocks wasn't an issue for me, probably less composed than a metal-infused directional charger but at my weight I don't think I really have any desire for that burly of a ski. The cliff was particularly stompable.
    Last edited by macon; 03-29-2021 at 01:35 PM.
    ig

^ keep doing what you’re doing, Macon. Looks like fun!

Just want to point out that the FRS mount is -6 from center, R11 is -8 and Bibby/wildcat is also -6.

Which version of the 184cm bibby did you ski? Some of the lighter bibby’s definitely get kicked around and Keiths enduro core isn’t super dense either. The heavy hitter core should solve anyone having issues with that.

2017-18 Bibby, the blue/green ones with the underworld graphics, which would probably be considered the lighter ones. I think it was ~2100g per ski when I weighed them

Cheers Superior! Thanks for starting the thread dude
    Last edited by macon; 03-30-2021 at 08:30 PM.
    ig

I ride a Jeffery108 as the DD and love it. Looking for powder ski to compliment it for a 2 ski resort quiver. Would love for it to be a Praxis ski. The FRS seems like it'd be the ski, but I didn't jive with the MVP, I thought it was kinda boring and not as playful as I'd like. Is the FRS different enough from the MVP that it's worth a shot or should I look elsewhere?

The FRS is a +10mm MVP with a few other tweaks, so if you didn't jive with that it might not be your thing.
    ig