Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Not sure that “useful” or “informative” has to be disqualifying for Polyass...some are trying to raise the bar in there

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Honestly guys, I dunno.

Sure, America if Burning is inherently political, though it does reflect the polarized times societally.

But the main COVID19 thread, as poliass as it could get with predictable trolling and response, had some pretty good nuggets of info re: epidemiology, bench science and clinical observations, as well as good discussion and musings regarding those aspects.

In fact, I would posit that it's one of the more valuable threads in the Padded Room for that alone. More useful than the "I got vaccinated" sequel thread.

Unless all you care about is recycled pr0n you can find with a 5 second Google Search, or want to go on an on about your gun fetish or 4wd hatchbacks with stick shifts.

Sure, COVID is inextricably entwined with our culture, but it isn't entirely poliasshat, and shouldn't be confined to that realm.

And I gotta respectfully disagree that "the pandemic is on it's (sic) way to oblivion."
    Quoting for emphatic support. I am avowedly anti-compartmentalization. Lay it all out on the table, you simpering twits.

Thank you mod team!!

Name:  Du4-xvsXcAEGy_1.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  34.1 KB

For those that don't want to get a thread moved how about this?
    Recognize that every thread is not a launching pad for your political views and restrain yourself, as hard as that may be, from going down that rabbit hole.

i.e., The Upstate NY thread could very easily migrate into a Cuomo bashing session. But you may have noticed it doesn't.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Fair enough, but this isn’t a deletion, so those invested in the ongoing thread can continue and all those posts of value do still exist.
    Nobody said we can’t bicker about politics, it’s just being placed in the correct subforum.
    Not correct. The rat flu is not political so moving it there is putting in the incorrect subforum.

People have added their politics to that thread out of frustration and as a defense mechanism, but the thread and the topic are not political. The conversation changes as people change what they add to it. It didn't start with politics and if the pandemic fades the thread will, too. It's been mimicking from the start. A premature dismissal would be on trend that way, though.

Hiding something from yourself so you won't click on it is pretty weak, but whining to the mods to do it for you is some next level shit. IDK. Maybe the problem is who's hiding in poliass more than what?
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Fair enough, but this isn’t a deletion, so those invested in the ongoing thread can continue and all those posts of value do still exist.
    Nobody said we can’t bicker about politics, it’s just being placed in the correct subforum.
    #allbunnyspostsmatter
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    poundkeybringbackthetags
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Not correct. The rat flu is not political so moving it there is putting in the incorrect subforum.

People have added their politics to that thread out of frustration and as a defense mechanism, but the thread and the topic are not political. The conversation changes as people change what they add to it. It didn't start with politics and if the pandemic fades the thread will, too. It's been mimicking from the start. A premature dismissal would be on trend that way, though.

Hiding something from yourself so you won't click on it is pretty weak, but whining to the mods to do it for you is some next level shit. IDK. Maybe the problem is who's hiding in poliass more than what?
    Since we can't expect the mods to go in a cleanse a topic like Covid of every polyass post in the thread, people should realize that if they start to turn it into that, it'll get moved once it becomes too much. We can argue about what is "too much" but people should be able to figure that out once a few threads get moved.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Since we can't expect the mods to go in a cleanse a topic like Covid of every polyass post in the thread, people should realize that if they start to turn it into that, it'll get moved once it becomes too much. We can argue about what is "too much" but people should be able to figure that out once a few threads get moved.
    That's the normal procedure. Changing the threshold temporarily has created a few threads that reflect the change over time. And as political bleed-over calms they also reflect that.

Moving them to where standards are less enforced makes the threads worse. Is that downside offset by hiding their titles from people who don't click on them anyway? Serious question.

Burying a thread title that bothers you isn't the same as properly categorizing topics, obviously. Doing so punitively seems effective to you?

Thank you Mods.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Thank you mod team!!

Name:  Du4-xvsXcAEGy_1.jpg
Views: 1344
Size:  34.1 KB

Recognize that every thread is not a launching pad for your political views and restrain yourself, as hard as that may be, from going down that rabbit hole.

i.e., The Upstate NY thread could very easily migrate into a Cuomo bashing session. But you may have noticed it doesn't.
    This.

The Upstate Thread has been the gold standard for the better part of a year.

By the way, is that avatar in plaid flannel a maple syrup farmer?
    I still call it The Jake.

I'm not sure Cuomo knows where upstate is. Hell, it's still not nailed down in the Upstate NY thread.

PS - just disappointed that we have a "Mod Team" - why didn't you call yourselves the "MOD SQUAD"?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    I agree with TriU here. That thread is inherently what the PR is and belongs here. The science, the learning and the discussion in there has been important to many of us over the last year. Keep it here.
    Me three.

First and foremost, realize that there is no right answer and not everyone agrees with you. The standards were relaxed because of covid and riots in our streets and the intertwining of life and politics in ways we had not seen in our lifetimes. But for most of the last year, people have been bitching to the mods about the lax enforcement of politics in the Padded Room. Now some are annoyed that the standards are being returned to where they were before this past year. Just reading this thread should make that apparent. We're sorry if you don't agree with this change, but please realize the following:

• There is nothing that prevents people from posting in their favorite threads. The threads are not being deleted and all the useful information is still there.
    • There is nothing that prevents people from starting a new covid thread in the Padded Room. One that leaves the politics out.
    • If you don't want to have to go into PoliAss to view those threads, consider for a moment that something similar has been the case for people who want the PoliAss rules enforced, they have had to deal with threads that might otherwise be interesting to them be dominated, or at least somewhat fouled, by blatantly political stuff.
    • There is nothing punitive happening here, we're just trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Which admittedly is hard to do and some of you like that the genie has been out and swinging his thing. We get this and we're not judging. Just trying to do the best we can.
    • We fucked up by choosing Mod Team instead of Mod Squad.

Lastly, the two threads originally mentioned are the ones that obviously had lots of political material. We don't, however, read every thread. Please report other threads as needed.
    Beneficent Oversight Committee Member.

Ahem, and the tags?

Will the gun thread be moved to PA?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Speaking only for myself (and decisions like these are team and not personal decisions), I have no intention of wading into threads I'm not already "in" to decide what they're about. If a thread has guns in the title, I don't read it because I don't have an interest in guns and find gun discussions to be particularly useless. That said, I assume the long-standing gun thread will stay. As for any other thread, "We don't, however, read every thread. Please report other threads as needed."
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Why Pennsylvania?

Why Pennsylvania?
    Let the Amish deal with it. That's why.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod Team View Post
    [*]There is nothing punitive happening here, we're just trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Which admittedly is hard to do and some of you like that the genie has been out and swinging his thing. We get this and we're not judging. Just trying to do the best we can.
    Sorry, my comment about punitive approaches was a question to Timberridge based on his description of people learning to behave better, not a critique of moderation tactics. I was just curious if his view was that people who bring politics into a topic are actually bothered when it gets moved or not, but it's kind of academic (unless TR is complaining to the mods, I guess).

My take is just that moving a thread that has evolved over time (including in response to changing moderation), whether it's replaced or not, creates a disjointed history. At the moment I don't really care about that, but it's always different looking back.

In the case of the rat flu thread there is a practical impact that it's already difficult to search and moving it reduces search options further.

Thanks for doing a thankless job and dealing with all our whiny opinions.

Moving the pandemic thread but keeping the gun thread simply because it's been around a while seems like a weird way to go if the goal is to get contentious politics out of the PR. I mean, the first poast in the guns thread is about owning the libs. In any case, I hope to see everyone in my new PR thread, "The Case for Abortion (Not Political)".

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Sorry, my comment about punitive approaches was a question to Timberridge based on his description of people learning to behave better, not a critique of moderation tactics. I was just curious if his view was that people who bring politics into a topic are actually bothered when it gets moved or not, but it's kind of academic (unless TR is complaining to the mods, I guess).

My take is just that moving a thread that has evolved over time (including in response to changing moderation), whether it's replaced or not, creates a disjointed history. At the moment I don't really care about that, but it's always different looking back.

In the case of the rat flu thread there is a practical impact that it's already difficult to search and moving it reduces search options further.

Thanks for doing a thankless job and dealing with all our whiny opinions.
    I'm not sure what you're asking, but I'll give it a shot. I'm fine with existing threads staying. I rarely go back more than 1-2 pages on a thread to catch the drift anyway, so whatever Polyass happened 25 pages ago is ancient history. If I need to know more about Covid, I'll do a internet search on medical journals and not have to wade through pages of political mudslinging. I think based on this warning that if such a thread stays and people can't control themselves then the mods have a right to move it as they see fit.

I don't care about guns at all. I've shot them, but never owned one or see the need to own one. If someone wants that thread moved as a token peace offering for moving others, fine with me.

Moving the pandemic thread but keeping the gun thread simply because it's been around a while seems like a weird way to go if the goal is to get contentious politics out of the PR. I mean, the first poast in the guns thread is about owning the libs. In any case, I hope to see everyone in my new PR thread, "The Case for Abortion (Not Political)".
    We're trying to make bright line rules in a fuzzy world, so nothing will ever be perfect or not "weird".

I think a long time ago we actually moved the old gun thread because someone complained about some posts, and there was a giant outcry, that people should be able to discuss guns in a non political way, and it was moved back. I don't read the thread so I have no idea, but a thread that discussed guns -- what people like, what models, where to shoot, etc -- doesn't have to be political. And nobody has reported any posts in it (at least not in the past few years).

So again, for the people in the back, we don't read every thread. Please report other threads as needed. If the mods don't read a thread and nobody reports any posts, does it make a sound?

And also, let me just say that if you see a mod posting in a thread, don't assume they saw whatever is bothering you and made some decision on it. We are maggots first, second, third, and fourth, and reporting posts is what makes us put our mod hats on fifth. There have been numerous times where I've been participating in a thread and then someone reports a post in that thread that I never noticed as problematic until the report.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

To be clear I'm not making a case for moving any threads. The line in the sand just seems more Helen Keller than Paul Cadden.

How many thread reports happen? Daily? I’m thinking I might be a little surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    How many thread reports happen? Daily? I’m thinking I might be a little surprised.
    People stopped reporting political stuff in the padded room a while ago, because we didn't act on those reports. But for a while there were regular reports, if not daily a few a week.

I don't know I could give you a number, we get many reports that we laugh at ("he was being mean to me and you shouldn't allow it!"). They're not daily (other than spam bot reports), but they were regular a year ago and in the summer after the America is burning thread started.