Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Avalanche fatality Beaver Creek sidecountry?

Only hearing bits and pieces, heard it was on the backside of McCoy. And something about BC patrol winching a cat down for recovery. Anyone else know anything?

Pretty sure this was an old friend of mine

Fatal Avalanche Accident in Vail and Summit County Zone
    On Monday, March 22, 2021, a skier was caught and killed in an avalanche outside of the Beaver Creek Ski Area boundary in an area locally known as Sanctuary Chute. Our deepest condolences to the friends and family of the victim. This is the 12th avalanche fatality in Colorado this season. Read the preliminary report here.

https://avalanche.state.co.us/caic/a...ep&view=public

Is this zone to the NW of the Larkspur top terminal?

Definitely a local head. I'm dreading the news.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Is this zone to the NW of the Larkspur top terminal?
    Yes....and yes another local. Brutal

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

More info: https://www.vaildaily.com/news/eagle...-beaver-creek/

Tough winter for the valley

Sent from my Pixel XL using TGR Forums mobile app

It's been a few years but had some great days with Gary skiing lines in EV and canyoneering in the Roost. He was a former patroller and all around good dude- kind, humble, soft-spoken. We had drifted apart but my life was brighter knowing that he was still getting after it high up in the Gore. And to have this happen, in the slackcountry on a green/yellow day, is just... fuck it all.

RIP old friend

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gary utah.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	566.5 KB 
ID:	368687

Gary Allen Smith, 37, was caught and killed in an avalanche in the backcountry near Beaver Creek Resort on Monday, the Eagle County Coroner has confirmed.

The avalanche occurred in an area near the bottom of the Larkspur Bowl known as the Sanctuary Chute, below treeline in a steep northwest-facing chute at an elevation of around 10,500 feet near the Lime Creek drainage. Smith was trapped in the slide and his skiing companion was able to locate him, dig him out and call for help, but Smith did not survive.

The Colorado Avalanche Information Center filed an initial report on Monday and will file a follow-up report.

The fatality is the 35th avalanche death in the U.S. this season and the 12th in Colorado, making it the deadliest avalanche season since the 1992-93 season in Colorado, when 12 people also died.

Smith was a well-known local backcountry skier who worked at a backcountry shop and was a gear editor at wildsnow.com. The website describes him as an “obsessive tinkerer and modifier of his gear, rarely satisfied with stock options and always looking for improvement.”
    Gary Allen Smith is remembered as a backcountry adventurer who loved winter.

Smith is a former ski patroller who began backcountry touring after an injury. Before moving to the Vail area he lived in Taos, New Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield View Post
    It's been a few years but had some great days with Gary skiing lines in EV and canyoneering in the Roost. He was a former patroller and all around good dude- kind, humble, soft-spoken. We had drifted apart but my life was brighter knowing that he was still getting after it high up in the Gore. And to have this happen, in the slackcountry on a green/yellow day, is just... fuck it all.

RIP old friend

Gary Allen Smith, 37, was caught and killed in an avalanche in the backcountry near Beaver Creek Resort on Monday, the Eagle County Coroner has confirmed.

The avalanche occurred in an area near the bottom of the Larkspur Bowl known as the Sanctuary Chute, below treeline in a steep northwest-facing chute at an elevation of around 10,500 feet near the Lime Creek drainage. Smith was trapped in the slide and his skiing companion was able to locate him, dig him out and call for help, but Smith did not survive.

The Colorado Avalanche Information Center filed an initial report on Monday and will file a follow-up report.

The fatality is the 35th avalanche death in the U.S. this season and the 12th in Colorado, making it the deadliest avalanche season since the 1992-93 season in Colorado, when 12 people also died.

Smith was a well-known local backcountry skier who worked at a backcountry shop and was a gear editor at wildsnow.com. The website describes him as an “obsessive tinkerer and modifier of his gear, rarely satisfied with stock options and always looking for improvement.”

Smith is a former ski patroller who began backcountry touring after an injury. Before moving to the Vail area he lived in Taos, New Mexico.
    Oh man Lefty, I am so sorry.....Fuck it all indeed. Vibes to you and yours, and to Gary's family.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

RIP Gary
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

RIP.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

vibes
    swing your fucking sword.

RIP.

RIP. I never knew Gary but appreciated his writing on WildSnow. He did a great job of communicating a lot of information. And most importantly sounded like an exemplary human.

I also really trusted his boot reviews and especially enjoyed the writings from AK. Major bummer

Quote Originally Posted by leftfield View Post

RIP old friend

sorry to hear about this. Godspeed

RIP

Sorry for your loss guys. Guy sounded like a good man and was taken way too soon.

He's too young. RIP...

Someone got partially buried the other day coming down from the Bald Spot.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Very sad to hear about Gary. Never met him but I really appreciated his content on Wildsnow. Definitely one of their best contributors

There is a report up on CAIC. Can't tell if it is preliminary or final. Doesn't have all the info typically associated with a final report but it also usually starts off by saying it's a preliminary report if that's the case.
    https://avalanche.state.co.us/accidents/colorado/
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

RIP Ghostrider. Miss you brother.

RIP. I didn't know the deceased but knew of him and we shared mutual friends. Sad season.

I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.