Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    can any of y’all confirm that there is an access gate at the top of Larkspur?
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    There used to be a bootpack at least. No formal gate that I remember. Off the cat track from Larkspur. I went out that way a few times but it was years ago. Definitely could have changed since.

I remember a pretty big multi level smoke shack too, and I’m guessing that’s long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    There used to be a bootpack at least. No formal gate that I remember. Off the cat track from Larkspur. I went out that way a few times but it was years ago. Definitely could have changed since.

I remember a pretty big multi level smoke shack too, and I’m guessing that’s long gone.
    Stop bringing up my pain of losing that smoke shack.

Let's not have "media" give away all the spots please. Yes access from Beaver Creek but a necessary skin back in to the resort. Neither have formal gates.

Avalanche fatality Beaver Creek sidecountry?

copy that

on all levels

just trying to be sure

I edited out the note at the end

There used to be a gate at the end of the traverse to Loco and a bootpack about midway.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    There used to be a gate at the end of the traverse to Loco and a bootpack about midway.
    A billion years ago....BC isn't interested in advertising any such thing.

Not to side track things but, are you saying that access to public lands from Beaver Creek is or is not officially condoned/allowed/maintained?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Not to side track things but, are you saying that access to public lands from Beaver Creek is or is not officially condoned/allowed/maintained?
    I believe that it is a grey area that might shift to less ambiguity in the future as a result of this incident.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Let's not have "media" give away all the spots please. Yes access from Beaver Creek but a necessary skin back in to the resort. Neither have formal gates.
    That's no skin out. Any variation of larkburger is a long ass shuttle unless you are really willing to climb a ton of vert back up.

But, brass tacks, it's a hop skip and a jump away from getting off the lift (see below).

At 3:46 PM, ski patrollers left the ski area boundary to assess the accident site. In the meantime, Skier 2 arrived back in the ski area and provided additional details about Skier 1’s condition and the accident location.

Around 4:00 PM, searchers reached Skier 1 and confirmed he was deceased. Beaver Creek Ski Patrol used a snowcat with its winch attached to a tree to transport the patrollers and Skier 1 back to the ski area.
    I don't really see how a cat could have been utilized here to do the body recovery. That befuddles me.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    That's no skin out. Any variation of larkburger is a long ass shuttle.

But, brass tacks, it's a hop skip and a jump away from getting off the lift.
    To avoid private property...skin out. I believe the party ascended in that method right? So....want to adjust that statement? Doesn't matter to me but you may not realize that folks adjusted that ski line in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I believe that it is a grey area that might shift to less ambiguity in the future as a result of this incident.
    Thanks, reason I ask is that it is VR and the issues with access in Park City from the Canyons to public lands.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    To avoid private property...skin out. I believe the party ascended in that method right? So....want to adjust that statement? Doesn't matter to me but you may not realize that folks adjusted that ski line in recent years.
    I choose not to adjust my lazy lines thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CAIC
    Skiers 1 and 2 exited the Beaver Creek ski area through a permanently closed boundary near the top of the Larkspur Express Lift.
    Emphasis mine. I don't know BC at all but my interpretation of this statement is that there is no gate and they ducked the rope. Whether or not ski patrol looks the other way, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Emphasis mine. I don't know BC at all but my interpretation of this statement is that there is no gate and they ducked the rope. Whether or not ski patrol looks the other way, I have no idea.
    That's technical BS honestly. BCSP skis tons of lines on the clock that require ducking ropes. These are long established sidecountry zones, though the specific line in question is like dropping into half dome. The Beav is not a resort known for any promotion of "legal" access to NF land. It's an unsaid code. Duck a rope, leave and don't come back.

Avalanche fatality Beaver Creek sidecountry?

There is a gate as you traverse out toward the East, about halfway down that cst track, to boot that ridge. If you ski off to the west you gotta skin back to the resort. Unless you bang a hard right down larkburger then you can ski back to the larkspur lift. You
    Can ski that all the way to lake creek but private property all thru that area.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I don't really see how a cat could have been utilized here to do the body recovery. That befuddles me.[/QUOTEhttps://caltopo.com/p/7F7D
    the map in the caic report is hard reconcile with the photos. I think this helps a bit with seeing how access to the runout was done. I can understand a little bit better how pushing a line a little bit ramped up the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I don't really see how a cat could have been utilized here to do the body recovery. That befuddles me.
    Let's just say the FS is not happy about were the cat went, and what they drove over to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Let's just say the FS is not happy about were the cat went, and what they drove over to get there.
    That often happens when it come to S&R work.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    That often happens when it come to S&R work.
    "True love is much easier to find with a helicopter"