Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LTL Truck transport cross country

My son is graduating college in May. He goes to school in Miami and will be returning to UT. Two years ago when he moved into an apt. in Coral Gables he bought a really nice sofa , desk and some other decent furniture at Crate and Barrel. The stuff is nice enough to take with him, but the cost may be prohibitive. He will drive his car home, but it is a sedan and I don't think that he will utilize U*Haul.
    First, anyone have any leads on LTL Trucking from FL to UT, or want to share methods of getting this stuff back to 84060?
    Second, and FL Mags want some nice stuff?
    Third, anyone near FL want to buy a clean 2006 BMW 550i with 80K? It's in good shape, but I can be convinced to leave it in FL.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    My son is graduating college in May. He goes to school in Miami and will be returning to UT. Two years ago when he moved into an apt. in Coral Gables he bought a really nice sofa , desk and some other decent furniture at Crate and Barrel. The stuff is nice enough to take with him, but the cost may be prohibitive. He will drive his car home, but it is a sedan and I don't think that he will utilize U*Haul.
    First, anyone have any leads on LTL Trucking from FL to UT, or want to share methods of getting this stuff back to 84060?
    Second, and FL Mags want some nice stuff?
    Third, anyone near FL want to buy a clean 2006 BMW 550i with 80K? It's in good shape, but I can be convinced to leave it in FL.

Forget LTL. Look at Upack.com and pods etc. Looks like move.org has sorted it out for you. Or a good Dad like yourself can rent a uhaul truck and trailer and make memories w your son driving x-country. LOL

Is it your furniture or his?

I’ve looked into for LTL for an family estate piece I was trying to move 1500 miles and struck out. Super expensive. Hit nextdoor and craigslist for people making similar moves. I got lucky and paid $200 to a random guy...

Or sell and buy new.

Regardless of how nice of sofa it was; the sofa I had in my house in college could have been designated as hazardous waste after a few years...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Search to see if there are any companies around there that are doing the "Pods" basically mini cargo Shipping containers that they place a few days or more and you load and pack them yourself. Then they come and pick it up and stick it on the back of a truck or in a enclosed truck that is not full to be delivered.

Sell everything. Personal stuff in car, start new. Sell car, rent 16' truck or smaller, sell anything that won't fit. Rent truck, tow car or spend 3000 and change for pods of some sort.

A pods would be that much? I shipped a car from DC to Utah and it was only $700.

Thats what the website estimated for a one bedroom YRMV based on specific details u pack.

ABF relocube is about perfect for a 1 bedroom apt. I’ve used this service to move a couple times and it made sense in each case for us. If demand is high on Marketplace where he lives that might be the better route unless he’s gonna head straight to crate and barrel to furnish his new apartment.

For LTL needs go to netparcel.com and select LTL.

It's a shipping agregator that gives better rates.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I moved from Boston to California using a LTL from ABF. Truck took a week as it made side trips. Pack your shit super well or it will be broke. I had one spot on the couch where it rubbed against the trailer and it wore through the plastic wrap and a moving blanket and started to wear through the leather. It was $4k to move a three bed condo.

Wow your kid was at college with a sweet ride eh?

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

I've used U-Boxes/Pods for several long distance moves. Getting 2 U-Boxes from the Seattle area to Colorado ran me about $2000 in the fall. Odds are good he'll be able to fit all his stuff in two of them, unless he has a huge apartment. It usually takes 2-4 weeks for your stuff to get from point A to point B, but they're a great option if you don't have enough stuff to justify a moving company.

I've even used them to move from places where I don't have a driveway/any parking. They drop them in the morning, you load them, and they come in the afternoon to pick them up.

They definitely make completing a long distance move solo a hell of a lot easier.

Pods would be the logical choice if he was living in a house, but he is in a high rise apt complex. He/I would need to fill the Pod and have it picked up the same day. I paid about $4k for the sofa and desk two years ago and that is the majority that is worth keeping. Bed is a throwaway. Fuck driving a uhaul 2700 miles. I’ll probably drive the sedan cross ountry with him. Last night I found a guy for about $2k. That is the best so far.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

What's the 2k option? Sounds reasonable.

Small uhaul truck.

You fly out, drive the car.
    He's young, he drives the uhaul.
    Road trip...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Pods would be the logical choice if he was living in a house, but he is in a high rise apt complex. He/I would need to fill the Pod and have it picked up the same day. I paid about $4k for the sofa and desk two years ago and that is the majority that is worth keeping. Bed is a throwaway. Fuck driving a uhaul 2700 miles. I’ll probably drive the sedan cross ountry with him. Last night I found a guy for about $2k. That is the best so far.
    I've moved from a situation similar to that using the pod type thing. I hired moving help through the same outfit I rented the pods through. 2 guys showed up with the pods, loaded them up in under 2 hours, and drove away with them. The cost of that moving help varies by location, but it was really convenient. Make sure he reserves the freight elevator for the time slot when they'll be there.

Yeah but is the truck driverless???????
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Have you looked at uShip? I've shipped furniture, personal belongings, and vehicles and they've all been good experiences.

u-Box from u-Haul would be my next choice. When I had small studio/1 bedroom condos I would use them, and they were great.

U-haul truck mileage charge is minimum $.59 mile, about $1500 Miami to SLC before gas, rent etc. I would gladly pay a few bucks more to NOT drive cross country in a POS u-haul truck with a governor on it that gets about 12 miles a gallon.

Freightquote.com

Sell it all.

What are the chances he remains in Summit County long term?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

This is why kids' college furniture should be from Ikea's budget lines. I hate moving stuff.

As someone who just did a cross country move, I priced all the options and then just drove a rented truck. I had more stuff and was going to need to tow/ship one of our cars anyway though so that affected the equation. I sold it to myself by saying that with the money I saved, I could cover a nice new bike when I got out West.

Last time we moved we used ABF u-ship. Not the pod but they drop a semi trailer and you load your stuff put up a bulkhead they supply. They then fill the trailer with commercial stuff take it to your location and reverse the process. We’ve done it twice and it has worked well. You pay for the amount of space you use in the trailer. We rented moving blankets from uhaul to protect everything. Worked well both times we used them.
    Last time was 2004. Not sure if they still offer that service.

I would like to find a military vet who could use a nice trundle sofa sleeper. Salvation Army is always an option.
    We bought a bunch of tables and chairs from ikea. It’s ok, but always a hassle to put together.