Thread: Zion Trip

Zion Trip

Taking the fam to Zion for three days and GC for two days mid-April. I've done a little research, but figure this place offers a unique perspective on ideas. What are the must do hikes in Zion (or Kolob)? I have three age 12 and under so looking to keep it six miles and under. Are there better times of the day to do some of them? Scout's landing manageable with kids?

It seems timing the shuttles to move around the park is something to be aware about. Of course, I missed out on reserving shuttle tickets so am looking into private shuttles which are $$. Has anyone had success scoring the remaining park shuttle tickets the evenings before or are they swiped up in two minutes? I figure we'll do a day in Kolob so we don't have to deal with the shuttle at least one of the days.

Is the narrows a bad idea if my youngest is a short 7 year old?

Any other tips or ideas? Thanks!

Zion / Bryce next week for 3 days with a 6 year old....I'm looking for ideas as well!

My kids had a blast on a day trip to Coral Pink Sand Dunes state park. Bring sleds and a readiness to be finding sand in ears for days. We did a big loop starting in the park, hiking to the overlook above the tunnel, drove out the east entrance, saw the dino tracks near to port of entry (link), then to the dunes. Drove back through AZ, which was a bit meh. Probably something cool to do over there in addition to looking at Colorado City polygamist buildings.

The main part of Zion all the way to the river walk is walkable. A long walk but walkable. I’ve never done anything other than short tourist hikes there and they are all great. Hanging Garden is so cool. It will have water in April. Bikes get it done easy.

I was there this past July. Shuttles were also fucked. My buddy and I had our bikes with us and just rode the 8 miles from the visitor center to the narrows. Beautiful ride with no traffic except for the occasional shuttle. My strava says it's a steady climb of about ~500 vertical ft over the 8 miles. Not sure if that's in your 7yo's wheelhouse so YMMV. I remember the deepest parts of the Narrows being about waist deep at that time of year.
    Everybody's gotta have parkas. I'm talking custom parkas. Two words: "client development." They see all of you out there cutting the powder in your matching Schweikart & Cokely parkas, you'll make an impression. You will thank me later.

Park website said something about dangerous bacteria in the Virgin River and not to get your head in the water, so there's that.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

The narrows would be tough for a 7 year old I think (also for some adults). The right shoes and a hiking staff (not trekking poles) help a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River View Post
    Scout's landing manageable with kids?
    I'd say so. It's just a normal hike up to that point.