Scottsdale area Mexican food recommendations

I will be in Scottsdale and Tempe area next week and would like to find some good Mexican/SW eats. Any recommendations from the collective ? Any general cool areas to check out would also be appreciated. My kid has some baseball games but will have some free time to kill with the wife.

Drive to Albuquerque

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Drive to San Diego
    FIFY lol

I usually just go to the closest cheap/high rated spot on yelp. Last year some locals we rode with sent us over to Boca Taqueria in Gilbert. It isn't traditional mexican but they have some really good tacos... like grilled salmon with mango salsa or shrimp with pineapple salsa.

For more normal food Arizona Wilderness brewing in Gilbert has awesome beers and good food.

Went to a place called Blanco I believe a couple years ago In Scottsdale that was pretty good. Not a hole in the wall Mexican joint, more like fancy old white couples place. Food and margs were good though.

Also went to the Slaty Seniorita which is a big college sports bar place but had good drinks and good chips and salsa. Didn’t eat there. Go for the scene if you are into sitting at the bar and watching carnage go down.

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    Drive to Albuquerque

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Or Tucson? Lots of good mex going on there.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Or Tucson? Lots of good mex going on there.
    If I was willing to drive why would I stop at either NM or Tucson ? Just go straight to the old country for a meal, new crowns and a quick donkey show for under $200.

I'm sure someone lives there and will chime in. And Timberridge is going to find a Scottsdale/Tempe expert if he's monitoring this thread.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Had a customer HQ in old town years ago, we usually stopped in around the corner here for lunch. http://losolivosrestaurants.com/menu/

Lets also mix in Mesa area for Tacos.

Los Dos Malinos is the shit, for reals.
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Los Dos is the real deal. Food can be spicy hot AF but always excellent. There are 3 in the valley, they are always busy for dinner service.

The Tee Pee in eastern Phoenix is classic old family Mexican food. A truly classic place.

Avoid the chain Mex restaurants like Macayo’s. Meh.
    Literally every city in the valley has places that are at least very good if not excellent. Most are hole in the wall little places.

My other favorite was Carlsbad Tavern in Scottsdale if you’re into New Mexico style food.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Rico in Flag; 03-20-2021 at 08:34 PM.

+ 1 for Carlsbad, and I live in NM.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post

I generally stay away from tripadvisor and yelp for food recommendations. I like the underbelly of dining places where the ratings aren't based on clean bathrooms and a waiter that speaks english fluently enough to push salads.

Fair enough. But Garcia's of Scottsdale: it's right there in the name, it must be good!

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    I generally stay away from tripadvisor and yelp for food recommendations. I like the underbelly of dining places where the ratings aren't based on clean bathrooms and a waiter that speaks english fluently enough to push salads.
    Pro-tip on all reviews: only read the negatives.

Pho restaurant: dirty
    Chinese: the noodles/vegetables were undercooked
    Thai: there should be a warning that even "zero stars" is too spicy!
    Pizza: they refused to make mine gluten-free!
    Beer Hall: NOT family friendly

Thank you morons, thank you.