Thread: Fishing Bike

Fishing Bike

Any of you all ride your bike to go fishing in the summer? I work from home and have flexibility to get out and fish for a couple hours, a couple days each week. I live very close to downtown Basalt and the confluence of the fork and pan. I recently picked up a very cheap used 10 speed and was curious if other people ride their bikes to fish. If so, what is your rod holder setup?

The bike has a parallel top tube...just Voile straps and move on? Probably only carry one rod when I go and wet wade.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Bungie cord works just fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC2922C6-8AFC-4672-A363-1DDAC3E4E321.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	660.6 KB 
ID:	367924

Fishing Bike

Cruiser or old SS 29er. I usually just hold assembled/strung up rod (sometimes break down into 2 sections) in hand along with lightly gripping the handlebar. Not perfect and I’m probably asking for a broken rod but I’m less than a mile to the water on combination neighborhood streets and bike path. DH there uphill home. And it’s my older cheaper 5wt w/ shitty reel that just stays strung up in the garage most of the time i.e. the town rod. It works for quick sessions when the fishings on and I’ve got a brief window of opportunity to get out.

This has me thinking I may try to upgrade that ‘system’ though.

Name:	IMG_0858.JPG 
Views:	61 
Size:	205.2 KB 
ID:	367936

Fishing Bike

I’ve been using and loaning out these two bikes — 2001 Bianchi xc bike and a cheap fattie. I use a hiking pack with side straps. Works great with a split pole but I’ve ridden around with my 7’ light tackle setup too. This is all with spin gear.

Name:	Image1616159503.608274.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	2.03 MB 
ID:	367973

Name:	Image1616159997.234663.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1,006.7 KB 
ID:	367974

Name:	IMG_1228.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	900.7 KB 
ID:	367976

Fishing Bike

Sweet canal rig!

Right!? Was thinking CCC.
    That Don't Make No Sense

I should of clarified...I almost never take my rods apart....so this is fully rigged and ready to go...fly rod. Vertically seems like not the best idea with a 9ft rod due to trees.

Current thought is Voile straps along the top tube and head tube...wrap once around the bar, then rod and second wrap. That way, the rod is not rubbing on the paint of the bike. Don’t want paint on my rod!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Fishing Bike

I’ve used voile straps with a 9’ spin rod
    Last edited by Self Jupiter; 03-19-2021 at 06:35 PM.

Nothing worse than paint on your rod!!

Break it in half (still rigged) and use these sleeves, I have used them extensively and they are money!

https://www.scientificanglers.com/product/rod-sleeve/
    Samuel L. Jackson as Jules Winnfield: Oh, I'm sorry. Did I break your concentration?

Those are cool Telee...and cheap.

I have a ceiling rack in my garage, and then a four rod holder on the bottom of my upper deck above the garage. I just keep all my rods fully rigged and in the racks.

I leave my ski rack on the car all summer and throw the rods in there when driving to the river....or in the back of the camper.

I think all last year I maybe took a rod apart and put it in a tube 5 times. Once for a warranty repair.

Those tubes would be good for in the camper. Seems like when you have 3 or 4 strung up rods together...they always get tangled at the tips.

I take a collapsible rod with me in trout country. Not pic worthy, it's and ultra lite rod that collapses down to 12 in or so. Fits in my pack. Makes awesome rides awesome-er!

Bob Ibex trailer with cardboard tubes zip tied
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do