Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

POSITIVE Stories From COVID Lockdown

The last year has been a nightmare, lots of bad stories to tell. Dead family members, people losing jobs, etc... Plenty of threads for that already. This thread is about POSITIVE things that happened.

1) I learned to cook. Up until now, I probably ate out 3-4 days a week, and my version of cooking was spaghetti or heating a frozen pizza. Then lockdown happened. I started small, using a cookbook and online recipes. Gradually got more confident and started enjoying cooking. I really doubt I will ever go back to dining out much, other than the social aspect of meeting friends. Saving tons of money too.

2) Haircuts. About 4 months into lockdown I got out some old trimmers from my long gone dog and used them on my head. Results were hilarious, as multiple maggots can attest. Djongo drove up from JH to meet with MiCol, Talisman, and myself for a socially distanced day at the rifle range and he about busted a gut laughing at my ridiculous buzz job. I kept at it, lots of YouTube videos and bought some human clippers and now I think I’ve gotten really good at it. I’m thinking I will never have to spend money in a barber shop again.

Tell us your POSITIVE stories from lockdown.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I study Spanish 10-20 minutes a day (but have long before lockdown), and I play guitar for ~20 minutes a day with renewed passion.
    Oh, and sourdough, and weightlifting 3 times a week.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Tailgating at the ski hill with my kids, such a fun experience ripping them out school, skiing, setting up camp at the car. Those memories are priceless. Not sure why it took a pandemic to get us there.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Got married and didn't have to pay for a big wedding.

great thread.

- i got really into mushrooms. joined the mycological society, got a field book, and found a ton of really cool shit on hikes. i don't know why, but i'm super stoked on 'em now. i find really cool mushrooms everywhere, and it makes me pay attention wherever i am.
    - i did a bunch of cool fermentation projects, many of which were inspired by tgr (hotsauce, green tomatoes, sauerkraut)
    - i am still trying to grow my hair out. not sure if that's a positive story or not.
    - i got a mountain bike. i currently use it to go to the grocery story to pick up shit for dinner. hopefully soon the trails will be dry. i need some serious z3 training for touring season, and this seems like the perfect tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    I didn't have to attend any weddings.

It was getting to be ridiculous as everyone I knew was doing the destination wedding thing before the 'vid hit.

Played a lot of baseball with my kid. Normally he's playing on a team and I'm watching.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I didn't have to attend any weddings.

It was getting to be ridiculous as everyone I knew was doing the destination wedding thing before the 'vid hit.
    Isn't that the truth.

I got to spend incredible amounts of time with the kid and family during a very formative part in the kid's life. Basically an entire year of hanging out doing stuff we love. I think he'll have great memories that last his whole life. I know I will.
    I still call it The Jake.

I found my old set of watercolor paints while cleaning out stuff and started painting again. It's fun to play around with, nothing impressive, but I enjoy it.

I live in a fairly remote area and the cases numbers here have been small and isolated. A friend finally convinced me to join a group of 3-4 people that meet up regularly once a week to BS and flint knap. So, I have now learned how to make sharp pointy objects and can knap arrow heads, spear points and knife blades. That's been kind of cool. If anyone wants arrow heads or a knife, let me know.

I've gotten sober and found this place.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    Tailgating at the ski hill with my kids, such a fun experience ripping them out school, skiing, setting up camp at the car. Those memories are priceless. Not sure why it took a pandemic to get us there.
    Same. The propane firepit and parking lot lunches/beers (very often with friends) have been way better than fighting for a table and waiting for food/drinks at the bar. I have spent $0 on food/beverage at the hill this year.

Even a Red Wedding is better than a destination wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    This.

Plus my wife and I enjoy each other more than ever at this point due to how much time we spend with each other. After 7 years of living together.

After 25 + years, I bought an E-Drum kit and have been rocking out with guitar-playing Thing One.........
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Same. The propane firepit and parking lot lunches/beers (very often with friends) have been way better than fighting for a table and waiting for food/drinks at the bar. I have spent $0 on food/beverage at the hill this year.
    x3. Haven't been inside a building at the ski hill yet this season. Post skiing parking lot beers (PLB's) with friends tends to be much more pleasant than cramming into the ski hill watering hole with a bunch of annoying tourists. Especially now that the weather's warmer / nicer.

Mini Hatch was worth it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8657.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	540.2 KB 
ID:	367734

Is he ripe yet?

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Mini Hatch was worth it
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8657.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	540.2 KB 
ID:	367734
    Thread ender right here!! Congrats!! Family time can never be replaced. Covid has enhanced this like nothing else.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Hell yea! Don't let the drivel and personal attacks and arguments steer you away. This place is a wealth of knowledge with cool people if you know how to navigate it correctly.

Covid, ski hil shutdown coincided with a seperated ACL so not driving up the hill/ no craft beer I was saving 500$ a month
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I whack off a lot more now that I don’t go the office as much.

Good for the prostate.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gotta keep the pipes clean or they will rust.

Good thread. My dog and I get to spend a lot more time together. More bc skiing than ever thanks to not wanting to deal with resort crowds, resulting in the best pow skiing of my life multiple days.

Bought a van and converting to a camper, bought a house, got a new job at double my old salary.

Before covid I was looking to make a career change, and once the lockdowns started, it basically torpedoed my industry so I said fuck it. I became a stay at home dad to my then 2 year old son. We did a lot of cool stuff together, and I got some serious quality time I'll always cherish. Lots of little hikes, tons of fishing and such.

That being said, I just accepted a full time job and will be back to work shortly and I'm really looking forward do it. I've loved the time we had, but even if it made sense financially, this is not my calling.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    Normally people only find this place b/c they are drunk or high.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Normally people only find this place b/c they are drunk or high.
    It's a big tent here.

Some other really positive things from the last year:

The Browns won a playoff game.

Iceman gained an umlaut.

We launched an expedition to map the Upstate.
    I still call it The Jake.