Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Irish Bars

I was in Ireland one Easter.

Drove by 30 cars parked along the side of the road in front of a little country church.

When we came back 3 hrs later, the line of cars had moved down the road a mile in front of a pub.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Isn't an irish bar in Ireland just a....bar?
    4 sure

Quote Originally Posted by cinnepa View Post
    4 sure
    It's called a pub actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki View Post
    I actually know Woodsy's Gaf place, because I remember when it opened (the little group I hung around with often went to Hell's Kitchen in the 90's). Didn't even know for sure that it was still there. But I liked going to Rudy's because you could get cheap hot dogs (absolutely no clue if that place survived or not).

Woodsy, let's grab a pint once we're all vaxed and you are in the hood.
    The Gaf has still stayed open for walk up & limited inside and if you go on Sundays and a few other days you can get a pint from a guy that won Jeopardy 12 more times than you did. Rudys made it until Late 2019, but not sure if it survived pandemic. That place is like Greg Louganis level dive bar. I always respected that they used red duct tape to fix the red pleather booths though.

And yes, you can buy me a beer in the city when it is safe to do so...

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It's called a pub actually.
    The pubs there are pubs, and likely close to what I am describing, but Ireland also has bars that make it a point NOT to be pubs: cocktail bars, clubby loungey places, tiki bars...

I believe they are called poobs there.

You guys are all wrong. The best is The Punch Bowl, right at the bottom of the stairs from the 239th st station on the 1 train. I can’t remember ever walking into that place when there wasn’t somebody with their head down on the bar taking a nap. Second place is The Jolly Tinker over by Fordham. McSolrleys though- My sister and a couple friends went down to McSorleys once years ago for some mid day pints. They got a table in back, next to one with somebody napping. After an hour or so, the guy picks his head up and it turns out to be Charlie Sheen.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    You guys are all wrong. The best is The Punch Bowl, right at the bottom of the stairs from the 239th st station on the 1 train. I can’t remember ever walking into that place when there wasn’t somebody with their head down on the bar taking a nap. Second place is The Jolly Tinker over by Fordham. McSolrleys though- My sister and a couple friends went down to McSorleys once years ago for some mid day pints. They got a table in back, next to one with somebody napping. After an hour or so, the guy picks his head up and it turns out to be Charlie Sheen.
    That's fantastic. Did you send another shot of Jamo?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I wasn’t there but my sister and her friends got at least a couple of rounds out of it. She wouldn’t admit which of her friends left with him

You sure it was Charlie Sheen?

The shortstop on a baseball team I played on was a dead ringer for Tom Cruise if you had a couple beers and didn't know Tom Cruise wasn't 6'0" and 180 something lbs. We had some big fun at quite a few ladies' expenses with that.

I wasn’t there but my sister and her friends got at least a couple of rounds out of it. She wouldn’t admit which of her friends left with him
    Where is the obligatory sister /her friends pic?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Not sure McSorelys even serves liquor? I mean they might, I have been there a dozen times and only ever get 2 light and/or 2 dark ales

Quote Originally Posted by 3s View Post
    Where is the obligatory sister /her friends pic?
    Ugh

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Not sure McSorelys even serves liquor? I mean they might, I have been there a dozen times and only ever get 2 light and/or 2 dark ales
    Only beer I ever had there was either their light or dark beer. only two on tap from my recollection.

As for McGraths, it’s as close to a ski bar could be to an Irish Pub. Surely beats the Red Fox in “Pub” feel and menu, but I’m not sure the owner plays the bones.

I’ve been there years ago and admittedly I can’t tell you. We were being respectfully shitcanned.
    I still call it The Jake.

There was some Irish pub dive bar near Bainbridge ave in the north bronx that I don't remember very well.

Stags Head in Temple Bar in Dublin - may be trendy but felt legit to me. Would recommend.

Paddy McGinty’s in Niseko - happened to be there when MTV was hosting a snowboarding event party. My buddy told the bartender we were on MTV’s staff tab and we proceeded to get very over-served.

That’s my memory- just beer. It’s been a long time though.

The Banshee in Dorchester is a proper Irish Pub. A home away from home to every irish 20 something plasterer visiting the states for a year or 10. Sunday nights were off the wall crazy red bull induced dancing on tables and smashing empty pints off the walls. Traditonal music on other nights. The occasional fights and one night I was there, the bouncer got stabbed.

$20 cover to watch Celtic FC matches at 7am with a line to get in. Home to the New England Revolution Fan Club.

My Canadian friends coined the term Banshee Drunk whenever they got rowdy cause they had never been so banged up as the night we spent inside the Banshee.

Not your fathers irish pub but certainly a proper irish pub.

Wherever I traveled in Ireland, people knew the Banshee in Dorchester. My family brought 10 years of Donegal football videos to my wedding and we had a watch party there a couple days after the wedding.

There are so many irish pubs though. Decisions...

JJ Foleys
    MCGans,
    Blarney Stone
    Crossroads
    The Burren
    Eire Pub

Dorchester used to have more irish bars than anywhere outside of Dublin. Weve lost most of em to vietnemase, polish and other families. Theres probably only 15 irish pubs left these days in Dot.

In one neighborhood, you could get a catholic mass in 3 languages.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Stags Head in Temple Bar in Dublin - may be trendy but felt legit to me. Would recommend.
    That’s a good one- seconded.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Only beer I ever had there was either their light or dark beer. only two on tap from my recollection.
    My memory as well.

Holy Shit, the Tinker. I got fucked up there a lot in HS.

The most amazing bougie one I used to hang out at, with the best view of any pub anywhere. The entire thing was shipped and reconstructed from the old land. Too bad it sits wasting away. So many fun times way above my pay grade:

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/grouse-on-the-green/