Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: No poles?

Releasable straps let you ski normally as you approach a death chute and then you can quickly and effortlessly jettison your poles - that way you can reach out with your uphill hand and balance off the steep ice right beside you.

As the slope mellows out to no longer be overhanging you can snap off willow branches on the fly and use them as poles as you straightline to the nearby parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Releasable straps let you ski normally as you approach a death chute and then you can quickly and effortlessly jettison your poles - that way you can reach out with your uphill hand and balance off the steep ice right beside you.

As the slope mellows out to no longer be overhanging you can snap off willow branches on the fly and use them as poles as you straightline to the nearby parking lot.
    Makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

Tanner Hall recently addressed this on a snowboarding podcast called the Bomb Hole. He was the first skier interviewed on that cast. The host (Chris Grenier) was like "what's the deal with poles". They talk about using poles and not using poles. Pros and cons. Tanner is pro pole, but admirs the kids who do not use them. Weird-ass skiers with their long tees n shit. lol.

It was an enjoyable listen.
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by danmelon View Post
    Tanner Hall recently addressed this on a snowboarding podcast called the Bomb Hole. He was the first skier interviewed on that cast. The host (Chris Grenier) was like "what's the deal with poles". They talk about using poles and not using poles. Pros and cons. Tanner is pro pole, but admirs the kids who do not use them. Weird-ass skiers with their long tees n shit. lol.

Proof of resurrection
    Hallelujah

Deep fake

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Proof of resurrection
    Hallelujah
    was stunned about the amount of injuries this guy has sustained. brutal.
    27° 18°

Do you think tanner could have survived the Chad's gap accident if his pole straps were releasable?

Pep Fujas was asked in an interview several years ago, I think it was in Powder, poles or no poles? His answer was along the lines of, " I ski with poles now, so..."

Considering he was at the forefront of the no poles movement of the 00s, I'm gonna go with his answer. But I also don't care if someone skis with poles or not. For the love of god, though, just don't fucking noodle.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Holy shit. How are we this far into this thread with no mention of Pollard and the movie "Idea" ?!?!?!

I did the no poles thing for at least one entire season. 07/08 or 08/09. I think I skied more days that season that I ever have in my life. Like 120-130 days. Lots of super deep pow days too. If you do it correctly aka not back seat your core gets really strong. It was cool doing hand drags on deep days.

In the end though it was just a fad. You get really strong at skating and never having poles to rely on for pushing yourself around.

It was fun, but poles just make way more sense in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Holy shit. How are we this far into this thread with no mention of Pollard and the movie "Idea" ?!?!?!

I did the no poles thing for at least one entire season. 07/08 or 08/09. I think I skied more days that season that I ever have in my life. Like 120-130 days. Lots of super deep pow days too. If you do it correctly aka not back seat your core gets really strong. It was cool doing hand drags on deep days.

In the end though it was just a fad. You get really strong at skating and never having poles to rely on for pushing yourself around.

It was fun, but poles just make way more sense in my opinion.
    Pretty sure everyone of a certain age did that as soon as we watched Idea. It’s a novelty or a fad for sure, but it’s kinda fun if you’re just cruising around the resort and aren’t doing big traverses or really techy terrain.

They’re a tool that are needed much of the time for skiing, but not all the time. If you don’t need them, why bring them?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    snake style can not be defeated....

As somebody who made nonstop merciless THall jokes for years and years, Like a Lion was a truly great ski movie and really changed my view about that guy. His love of skiing and resiliency is enough to overpower even very jaded cynical points of view. Nothing but respect.

I saw a young guy training to be a patroller the other day; no poles, beanie and goggle strap under the helmet, vertika jacket / pants...

Gen Z is growing up whether we like it or not.

I can imagine the short poles that the park skiers have been running for the last decade is a performance thing as much as a style thing; promotes lower center of gravity, less shit flying around as you flippyspinspin, less likely to javelin and knock you off balance on a cased landing, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

if you do course work you gotta carry stuff so just stick the poles in a snow bank for the day, i magine patroling can be much the same

really poles are more about having something to carry in your hands when you are skiing so a buddy told me when he forgot the poles, he just ripped a couple pieces of bamboo out of the snow fence at Big White and it seemed fine

so when i forget poles at Hankin I did the same thing which wasn't so hot for touring up steeps but I got by even manged to ski the steepest coulour, by the end of day the bamboo was all splintered & delamed
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    As somebody who made nonstop merciless THall jokes for years and years, Like a Lion was a truly great ski movie and really changed my view about that guy. His love of skiing and resiliency is enough to overpower even very jaded cynical points of view. Nothing but respect.
    Tanner scored me a bag in Canada. Probably had more to do with my girlfriend at the time than me. Still I have always liked him.
    off your knees Louie

last time I went to Olympic Park for the water ramps.... 2006?.... the coaches wouldnt let you use your poles until you were totally dialed without them. reckon it's still the same way....

and... Ski School.. cant believe they are raising generations of 3 year olds by making them learn to ski without 'em!

no poles is just promoting pizza when french fry is whats needed

they won't let us poles in the slush cup in case they put holes in the liner

On the opposite end of the spectrum is Scott Schmidt, who has never been injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Proof of resurrection
    Hallelujah
    Yeah, but his ankles still be broked.
    [quote][//quote]

Hey, kind of funny thing with me an poles...most of my 'ski' days are without poles, and I got so used to not even bringing my poles from my locker that there were a few days in Whistler that I ended up heading out to freeski with my daughters and neglected poles. So one of those days I met up with pow11 and since we were staying pretty mellow (with the two girls, when they were still fairly young) I didn't even go to retrieve my poles. But the girls decided to leave early, and I end up with pow11 at Crystal Hut with him suggesting we head out do something or other, and I suddenly realized what that would mean for me (just everything related to getting there, skiing whatever it was, etc.). The look on his face when I admitted that I didn't have ski poles...he kind of asked me what was wrong with me, shook his head while giving me a look that made me feel some degree of shame, and then I think we skied mostly groomers to the bottom where he took off to actually ski. Haven't made the same mistake since.
    [quote][//quote]

No poles?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    if you do course work you gotta carry stuff so just stick the poles in a snow bank for the day, i magine patroling can be much the same
    yep between patrolling and race crew I probably carried a large drill around more than my poles for a few years.

also this 30 seconds in:

https://youtu.be/yLoeGWcMZtg
    skid luxury

I took my nephew skiing and he showed up with no poles. I promptly bought him poles and told him to never let me catch skiing without poles. he seemed confused at the time, now he shreds!
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    I took my nephew skiing and he showed up with no poles. I promptly bought him poles and told him to never let me catch skiing without poles. he seemed confused at the time, now he shreds!
    you shoulda just given him some beer bottles to hold
    skid luxury

a guy around here is a tall strong wirey guy

not only does he tele on t-1's with a low stance

he does not use poles and he points his hands straight up from the elbow

like he had just scrubbed for surgery or somebody was holding a gun on him

actualy a pretty good skier

edit: I was torn should this be in no poles or tele thread ?

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I saw a young guy training to be a patroller the other day; no poles, beanie and goggle strap under the helmet, vertika jacket / pants...

Gen Z is growing up whether we like it or not.

I can imagine the short poles that the park skiers have been running for the last decade is a performance thing as much as a style thing; promotes lower center of gravity, less shit flying around as you flippyspinspin, less likely to javelin and knock you off balance on a cased landing, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    This. My kids grew up going through various pro and anti cycles with poles that had a lot to do with what they were up to at the time - for example, if you plan on a lot of air time time that will likely end in crashes, like when you are learning tricks, it's nice not to crash onto poles. In a related piece of info, my son has snapped a lot of poles. I remember one particular time he misjudged a 360 in Steamboat and landed at speed just as he charged into an aspen stand. His body made it between two trees about 18" apart. His pole did not. Would have been a good idea to leave the poles at the lower lift shack for that run...

While there are plenty of young poleless gapers, there are also plenty of kids out there without poles that are charging. They are just young and dumb and doing stupid crap all over the place. I, for one, approve. I was once young and dumb and acted like an idiot and am of the opinion that there is no better way to learn to ski extremely well than being a kid and doing dumb shit all over the place. Then again, while I am no longer young I am still dumb, so maybe keep that in mind...