Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Samski360 View Post
    Hmm, this is good news. The irony of the question is many of the more touring oriented boots (transalp, backland xtd) actually appear to weigh more than my ZGTPs, or about the same.
    I think if you want it to ski as well as the Zero G, be prepared for around the same weight. Just find something with a low friction walk mode.

Hmm, this is good news. The irony of the question is many of the more touring oriented boots (transalp, backland xtd) actually appear to weigh more than my ZGTPs, or about the same.

The Backland XTD may be a top
    choice as I can get it from Evo to try on. Can anyone comment how the XTD compares to the ZGTP for skiing and climbing? Does it have major gains for climbing? Give up much for skiing?
    I can’t compare to the new ZGTP, I’ve owned the OG for several years, but I find the XTD walks much better. You are not fighting the shell in the forward motion.

Where the XTD crushes the ZGTP is transition. With the ZG you have to move all of the buckle wires to the loosest on the ladder and loosen the power strap to get full/decent walk. Then reverse to ski.

With the XTD you just open the top buckle and quick release power strap and you have a walk mode better than the ZG. I have terminally cold hands and this is super key for me. Then click, click, pull to ski.

Sure it doesn’t ski as well as the ZG, mainly less rebound and less real full boot feeling.

Honestly though I ski my woodsman tour 110 just fine with them in wild snow.

I’m only 155lbs for reference.

Had a Ridge boot on carpet. That’s going to be the winner for me but the pair I had was weird over the fore foot. Hopefully a one off and I’ll try a different pair.

CaliBrit is right. The XTD is like the Hoji boots in transition. Way quicker. To get a good tour mode from the new ZGTP I flip the 2, 3, 4 buckle and the walk mode + actually undo buckle 3. It's slower.

Rod. I've had 35 days on the new ZGTP liner. It's still good. However on spring skiing when it's warm I'm now getting a tiny bit of slop detectable by having to tighten more for ski mode...the older ZGTP liner by contrast was a noodle by day 30. Ie packed out to the point it was uncomfortable

Interesting, mine is last year's model, so maybe this is the difference.

I liked the old line better, it packed, sure, but i thought it was more comfortable. The new one, i feel the boot plastic everywhere.

Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

Rod. Yah... last years is unchanged from the first generation. This new generation has more plastic particularly at tongue.

Calibrit. I hadn't been my my Hojis so took them out on a long tour and you're definitely right. Quicker to transition. Buy my (new ZGTP) boots are also stiffer which was nice for some steeps

I have the hoji 130 and i thought they were stiffer than the zero g, and for sure they skinned much better. Actually faster uphill even though they are heavier.
    I liked them do much, i got a second pair, even though the old ones still have life left.

Do the new Zero Gs have the removable (via Velcro) “rubbery” front spoiler on the liners? I appreciate that to take up space for my skinny lower legs and for the padding that Rod called out—I tend to struggle with lower leg padding in lighter touring boots.

Although everything else about the 22/23 liner screams flimsy and I expect them to last no lore than 30 days.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    I have the hoji 130 and i thought they were stiffer than the zero g, and for sure they skinned much better. Actually faster uphill even though they are heavier.
    I liked them do much, i got a second pair, even though the old ones still have life left.

To clarify. I've got the Hoji ProTour. I've heard the Hoji FreeRides are stiffer than the PT. I do overpower the PT in stiff snow but not the ZGTP or the older Atomic Hawx 130XTD..

To keep it somewhat on topic my Hoji ProTours with Intuitions are 1556g. The Atomic Hawx 130 are 1435g. ZGTP new 1290g (Intuitions) 1310g stock. Dynafit is trying to get me the Ridge which I'm keen to try.

Leelau, the improved ROM in the new ZeroG is just forward, not rearward, is that correct?

Yes, i have the free, not the no nose.

On my older zg, the forward rom was not great, especially walking on steep rock, i always felt i needed to walk on my toes.

Also, unrelated, but the hoji is much stiffer in ski mode, when you try to flex it backwards.

Skeeze the new ZG liners don't have a removable spoiler on front. Rather the liner has a plasticized front that seems stiffer.

Wilcox yup the improved ROM is forward. To me that translates into more ROM going uphill where I feel I don't have to go to heel lifts on steeper tracks

i got a question for you ^^ since boots are getting lighter that must mean less plastic ?

How much less plastic is too much less plastic, are hinges wearing out/ parts breaking easier & faster ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So I carpet tested the Backland XTD and Fischer Transalp Pro last night. I was very disappointed with the Transalps ROM. Especially the rearward ROM which I feel is important on long approaches. The TransAlp ROM felt no better than the ZGTP. Meanwhile it felt way way less capable for descending than the ZGTp, and was only nominally lighter.

The Backland XTD on the other hand felt like it had ROM and lack of friction, more in line with my F1 XT. In addition, the fit and finish of the Backland XTD is as nice as any touring boot I’ve ever seen. The buckles, liner, and shells just feel high quality. In terms of stiffness, it felt progressive, but overall stiffer than the Transalp. The foot hold and stiffness are not as good as the ZGTP. Adding a Tour Wrap definitely stiffened the boot up, but increased ROM resistance. On my scale each boot weighed in at 1455g with the stock liner,including footbeds, which is about 70g heavier than my ZGTP.

My ZGTP liners are totally shot, and I noticed some play in the cuff pivots, so it may be time for a new boot.

All in all it leaves me wondering which direction to go. I don’t think the XTD is enough boot for real free riding (at least for me) but kind of heavy for huge alpine days. At the same time it might be the perfect boot for most of my ski touring. Really just debating whether to hold out for a new ZGTP next season or take advantage of boot sales on the XTD this spring.

So I carpet tested the Backland XTD and Fischer Transalp Pro last night. I was very disappointed with the Transalps ROM. Especially the rearward ROM which I feel is important on long approaches. The TransAlp ROM felt no better than the ZGTP. Meanwhile it felt way way less capable for descending than the ZGTp, and was only nominally lighter.

The Backland XTD on the other hand felt like it had ROM and lack of friction, more in line with my F1 XT. In addition, the fit and finish of the Backland XTD is as nice as any touring boot I’ve ever seen. The buckles, liner, and shells just feel high quality. In terms of stiffness, it felt progressive, but overall stiffer than the Transalp. The foot hold and stiffness are not as good as the ZGTP. Adding a Tour Wrap definitely stiffened the boot up, but increased ROM resistance. On my scale each boot weighed in at 1455g with the stock liner,including footbeds, which is about 70g heavier than my ZGTP.

My ZGTP liners are totally shot, and I noticed some play in the cuff pivots, so it may be time for a new boot.

All in all it leaves me wondering which direction to go. I don’t think the XTD is enough boot for real free riding (at least for me) but kind of heavy for huge alpine days. At the same time it might be the perfect boot for most of my ski touring. Really just debating whether to hold out for a new ZGTP next season or take advantage of boot sales on the XTD this spring.
    I skied the Transalp Pro and now the ZGTP. The Transalp may have more fiction and less rearward ROM than the Backland XTD, but it does walk way better than the ZGTP. Its not just the ROM, but the lack of friction since its not a 4-buckle overlap boot and has less plastic rubbing on each other.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    i got a question for you ^^ since boots are getting lighter that must mean less plastic ?

How much less plastic is too much less plastic, are hinges wearing out/ parts breaking easier & faster ?
    Tbh I think it's the miracle carbon infused plastic. The materials are incredible