Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Selling a pair of 27 Skorpius for cheap here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...eels-skins-etc

Pretty much new, except for punches for width and navicular. Mentioning here on the off chance someone wants to get into a pair for cheap.

Agree re sizing. Every other boot I've owned since high school has been a 26, but I went 27 for Skorpius. For me personally, this worked out very nicely because I didn't need a punch for length to be comfortable all day.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    Skorpius also felt longer/more toe room. Those 1kg boots are all at least 1/2 size short to make them appear lighter (the new Technica maybe a full size).
    Agreed, it is so annoying! The Skorpius and the Dalbellos are the only light-ish boots I've tried that don't skimp on length.

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Selling a pair of 27 Skorpius for cheap here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...eels-skins-etc

Pretty much new, except for punches for width and navicular. Mentioning here on the off chance someone wants to get into a pair for cheap.
    How much did you try to punch those before having to stop? I picked up some skorpius for super cheap a little while ago just to see how they'd fit and the conclusion is "maaaaybe with a lot of punching for width." So I'm on the fence about returning them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fleaches View Post
    How much did you try to punch those before having to stop? I picked up some skorpius for super cheap a little while ago just to see how they'd fit and the conclusion is "maaaaybe with a lot of punching for width." So I'm on the fence about returning them.
    Hard to say exactly how much width was gained, to be honest. But I would say at least 5-7 mm, likely more. The boot fitter who punched them was very, very skilled, an expert with vast experience punching light plastics. At the end of the day, it wasn't even so much that she couldn't make more width; it was more that other places started to move because there's just not enough plastic to go around. If I had had a lower volume foot overall, I might have gotten away with punching for more width but I needed room in the instep and navicular and ankle and (etc). (Not that my pair were punched in all those places, but I needed every bit of room available in the stock fit)

I have this issue where a boot feels "close" why I try it on in the shop, around the house, etc, so I get all excited ... but then it isn't very close in reality.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I LOVED my zero g pro. It was stolen. I have potential deals on both the zero g scout and the quantum asolo 130. I am not mountaineering. Longest days are generally 5k vert or less.

I trusted the zero g to drive 110-120mm waisted 190+ cm skis.

Clearly the asolo walks better.

Are they equals on the descent? Or is the asolo just built in such a way that it can’t compete on the descent??
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    I LOVED my zero g pro. It was stolen. I have potential deals on both the zero g scout and the quantum asolo 130. I am not mountaineering. Longest days are generally 5k vert or less.

Are they equals on the descent? Or is the asolo just built in such a way that it can’t compete on the descent??
    I just can’t see that boot skiing like a ZG.

I’d love to be surprised though!

Or is the asolo just built in such a way that it can’t compete on the descent??
    I would say this is likely the case. The Asolo is a 2-buckle boot with no tongue and the ZGTP is a 4-buckle boot, which allows a much more predictable and supportive flex.

Are they equals on the descent?
    I have the Zero G Tour Pro and the Quantum Free 130, and the Zero G is miles ahead in terms of skiing like a real boot and driving bigger skis.

I’ve got 5 days on the Fischer TransAlp now. And again, for me, my foot, and my preferences, they are awesome.

I’ve never tried a Zero G Tour Pro so I can’t compare to that. But the TransAlp walk considerably better than my old Hawx XTDs. And while they may not be as maximally stiff fore/aft, I actually prefer the flex of the the TransAlps on the descent. Maybe a 110, but way more kindly progressive and forgiving that the harsher feel of the XTD 130s.

Just got some new Vision 108s mounted up with Shifts as a backcountry booter setup. Should be perfect with both the TransAlps 27.5s (304mm) and my CAST modified Hawx Ultra 120 26.5s (300mm).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	048B7CF5-E551-44B4-8AF6-0788BBEB6342.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	649.7 KB 
ID:	440152   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	42B313DB-68C0-4C1F-9D84-DA3AA6AD9EA8.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	644.7 KB 
ID:	440154  
    Last edited by DGamms; 12-27-2022 at 08:44 PM.

I switched from Zero G Tour Pro’s to Qunatum Free 120(which, as far as I can tell, are the same stiffness as the 130, just cheaper liner and powerstrap).

Skinning is a million times better on the Quantum’s. More range, less resistance. Transitions are way better too. Buckles can stay latched, so all you do is tighten the powerstrap and flip 2 buckle levers.
    On the Zero G, you have to undo and rebook the top buckles, and perhaps the 3rd buckle too.
    This also means much looser fit in walk mode.

Skiing is quite a bit better in the Zero G’s. Granted, the Scout is less stiff than the Pro, but it will still ski circles around the Quantum.
    The Quantum is really more in line with the 1kg+ boots, both for skinning and skiing. It just weighs a few grams more than most.

For reference: I swapped my Quantums for the new Backland Carbon, and don’t notice a real difference in skiing.

Appreciate the replies. Sounds like the quantum is the same weight as the zero g and far worse at skiing. The benefits of this for the ascent are in the mechanism and ROM, which at least for now, are not all that important to me.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Can anyone compare the MTN summit boot to the Skorpius boot? I feel like these would fit my skinny ankle the best. I have the Atomic Backland Carbon (2nd gen) as my back up boot but the high instep combined with the boa can't really lock my foot down in variable conditions.

Weight, fit and performance sounds on par with the scorpius. It'd be interesting to hear others thoughts. Plus Colby had input into the mtn summit!!

Sent from my SM-A536W using TGR Forums mobile app

I was talking to the skimo co guys when they first got the new Salomons in, they said it didn't ski as well as the skorpius, and the cuff is significantly shorter so I didn't bother trying it on.

~1300g boot thread

New add to the ZGTP

Booster ‘ll boostya!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8571.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	448898

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    Can anyone compare the MTN summit boot to the Skorpius boot? I feel like these would fit my skinny ankle the best. I have the Atomic Backland Carbon (2nd gen) as my back up boot but the high instep combined with the boa can't really lock my foot down in variable conditions.
    I never skied the mtn summit so can't comment there, but fit wise I think the summit is quite a bit higher volume than the skorpius. I have a super wide forefoot but skinny ankle and both the summit and zero g peak fit pretty well (would still need punching, but they were a lot closer than most boots). Both have a much higher instep than the OG skorpius (I hear the new one is not as low).

I'd believe that the summit is less stiff than the skorpius. The zg peak is less stiff, and I thought the summit was slightly softer than the peak in the shop.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by abcdethan View Post
    The forefoot of that boot is absolutely massive. Sasquatch feet only

In the store, I remember the MTN Summit fit feeling pretty good in the ankle. It sounds like the updated Skorpius has a higher instep than the MTN so I'll have to try it on.

What new boots in this category are coming out next year? The only ones I know of are the Atomic Backland XTD, a stiffer version of the Fischer Transalp, and the Scarpa F1 XT (not really in this category) will be available in the US.

I think that is pretty much it, except I have seen 2 new offerings from Scott, but have no other information. Pics below. I have skied the F1 XT and honestly was underwhelmed by the improvement over the LT. I don't feel like the boot is beefy enough to support the tension you get from a buckle. I know others feel differently.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 12.51.56 PM.png
Views: 800
Size:  905.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    New add to the ZGTP

Booster ‘ll boostya!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8571.JPG 
Views:	235 
Size:	139.5 KB 
ID:	448898
    These are very good. Buy them if you want a much better strap.

A shop guy told me a stiffer Quantum is coming. Apparently dalbello heard from a lot of shops that marketing a 100 stiffness (at best) boot as a ‘130’ was a fail. I liked the walk mode and fit but as I posted earlier they’re way too soft for this category.

My Transalps continue to ski well but I’m not a fan of the liner. It needs more thickness around the ankle/heel to get decent hold down while skinning. I also wish the front buckle was microadjust, and that the cable attachment was further back to improve heel hold while skinning.

Quote Originally Posted by concierge View Post
    I think that is pretty much it, except I have seen 2 new offerings from Scott, but have no other information. Pics below. I have skied the F1 XT and honestly was underwhelmed by the improvement over the LT. I don't feel like the boot is beefy enough to support the tension you get from a buckle. I know others feel differently.
    Name:  Screen Shot 2023-03-09 at 12.51.56 PM.png
Views: 800
Size:  905.5 KB
    Those appear to be cabrio boots. It’s a shame Scott puts the middle buckle on the cuff, it doesn’t really help to lock the heel down.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    A shop guy told me a stiffer Quantum is coming. Apparently dalbello heard from a lot of shops that marketing a 100 stiffness (at best) boot as a ‘130’ was a fail. I liked the walk mode and fit but as I posted earlier they’re way too soft for this category.

My Transalps continue to ski well but I’m not a fan of the liner. It needs more thickness around the ankle/heel to get decent hold down while skinning. I also wish the front buckle was microadjust, and that the cable attachment was further back to improve heel hold while skinning.
    I also have the Transalps Pro and I have the same complaints about the heel hold. It has a surprising wide heel for a medium volume boot. I’ve put J-bar foam padding on the outside of the stock liner but I’m considering swapping out for a Palau soon. Otherwise, I love the two-buckle boot configuration and its stiff enough to drive any touring ski. I’m looking for a different boot in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    A shop guy told me a stiffer Quantum is coming. Apparently dalbello heard from a lot of shops that marketing a 100 stiffness (at best) boot as a ‘130’ was a fail. I liked the walk mode and fit but as I posted earlier they’re way too soft for this category
    The Evo gear preview mentioned a “new” Quantum line, but I hadn’t heard anything else about it. I can’t seem to find next years Dalbello catalog online, anyone have anymore info?