Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 169
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    15,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...body-asked-for

    I went in depth on this a few months ago. I could be convinced to sell the RX Tour (27.5).
    Any links for the sales on the 1.0 or tours?

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    329
    Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Any links for the sales on the 1.0 or tours?
    https://theskimonster.com/products/roxa-rx-tour-ultra/

    Also a couple on eBay


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    in the trench
    Posts
    15,153
    Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    https://theskimonster.com/products/roxa-rx-tour-ultra/

    Also a couple on eBay


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Thank you! Not bad at all

    Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Summit Park UT
    Posts
    1,039
    Anyone with a Blister membership read this?

    https://blisterreview.com/flash-revi...r-transalp-pro

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    10,594
    Sounds like they were stoked on ‘em. Based on the info I’ve seen so far, it’s an intriguing option....

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Eurozone
    Posts
    2,721
    The new Transalp caught my attention too along with a G Zero but would be grateful for some other suggestions.

    Am looking for a new light ski mountaineering boot for multiple day trips. Long uphill slogfests will surely dominate so a good walk mode is key. That said it should be decently skiable with a heavier backpack too. Have a small foot (sub 100) with a really low instep. Also full Vibram sole mandatory for long access hikes to the snow line during spring time. Used an old, heavy Nordica boot (1900+ grams) before, anything of today should be better than that but still wanna go as light as reasonably possible.

    WWMD?

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Rossland BC
    Posts
    1,756
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    The new Transalp caught my attention too along with a G Zero but would be grateful for some other suggestions.

    Am looking for a new light ski mountaineering boot for multiple day trips. Long uphill slogfests will surely dominate so a good walk mode is key. That said it should be decently skiable with a heavier backpack too. Have a small foot (sub 100) with a really low instep. Also full Vibram sole mandatory for long access hikes to the snow line during spring time. Used an old, heavy Nordica boot (1900+ grams) before, anything of today should be better than that but still wanna go as light as reasonably possible.

    WWMD?
    The Salomon S/Lab X-Alp or the almost identical Arcteryx Procline AR Carbon (look for the latest iteration with the added tongue) are what you need. Nothing else fits as well for a low volume, low instep foot, and the walk (with lateral articulation) mode is unbeatable. Skiing is good for a boot in this class. Inexplicably theyíve been discontinued, but remnants are still available, and the used market is strong.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Eurozone
    Posts
    2,721
    Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    The Salomon S/Lab X-Alp or the almost identical Arcteryx Procline AR Carbon (look for the latest iteration with the added tongue) are what you need. Nothing else fits as well for a low volume, low instep foot, and the walk (with lateral articulation) mode is unbeatable. Skiing is good for a boot in this class. Inexplicably they’ve been discontinued, but remnants are still available, and the used market is strong.
    Thanks, still seems available in my size and will consider it. Only deterrent I can see is the incompatibility with any other than tech binders.

    In all honesty the fitting problem always caught up with me but so far was always able to work around it by adding a suitable sole into the liner plus eventually some boot fitting.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Sounds like they were stoked on ‘em. Based on the info I’ve seen so far, it’s an intriguing option....
    I only saw the wild snow article, which seemed too positive for me to trust it. And it didn't seem like the author had skied in the boot much - maybe 4 days total.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Posts
    109

    ~1300g boot thread

    I skied a day in a prototype transalp pro thanks to some generous shop bros. Just a brief 2500í tour. The fit is interesting, felt fairly roomy in the in step, and decently wide in the midfoot. I couldnít punch the navicular since it was the shops demo, but I had significantly less problem than any other boot Iíve worn without a punch.

    I typically wear a 26 shell a tťcnica Cochise, and they only had a 27 in the transalp. That being said, I was swimming a bit length wise, and to get sufficient heel hold, I had to crank the lower cable strap so tight that it made my feet pretty sore/tired, especially skiing somewhat unsmooth hardpack.

    That being said, the flex felt quite solid for how light to boot was, but also felt that despite the lighter weight, I didnít see a ton of benefit while touring because the ROM in the walk mode only felt okay. Maybe it would have walked better if I had just undone the cuff buckle all the way, rather than setting it at my desired tension and opening it. I left the power strap loose until I skied down. I still feel like the Hoji/Radical Pro walked better, and ended up buying that boot. Specifically, I felt like the rearward range of motion of the TS Pro wasnít great, although one of the shop guys said he felt the opposite, and that it went rearward too far, and he wanted more forward ROM. So donít take my word for it.

    I should note that swapping the liner in this boot would change how it skis significantly as the lower shell does not overlap, but rather there is a gusset to keep water out. Instead, the tongue of the liner has a beefy amount of hard plastic so when you apply pressure to the front of the boot, the liner distributes a lot of that force. In this way, itís sort of a hybrid between overlap and three piece ski boots.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    603
    Sweet thanks for the review ^^

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    I think this is the key. A fantastic walk mode is the differentiating factor in this category and I feel like it's the main reason folks are really interested in 1kg boots. You spend 95% of the time walking and 5% of the time skiing.
    This is my thought exactly. Lack of friction and ease of stride matter for most of the time you are out. Light boots are nice, but broken boots don't make you any faster.
    I think in the past, all the boots that walked well, were skimo race derived. Adding 150g wonít bother most people too terribly much, and if that can add some durability and ski performance, real world usefulness improves a lot.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    151
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Nope,
    I believe the whole point of this thread is to discuss boots that walk a hell of a lot better than the ZGTP while still skiing well.

    I wonder if people who think Hawx XTD and ZGTP’s walk “fine” or “great” have ever spent any time or long days in a boot that truly walks well.
    Agreed. I have the ZGTP and even with some trimming of the black spine, I still regularly bottom out the forward ROM, even with buckles fully open and the stock liner.
    I know that when that packs out, and I put a MV Tour Pro in there, it will be even more noticeable.
    I think it is a great boot, in how it balances downhill performance with light weight and decent skinning, but there is still a lot better uphill performance possible.

    Also user friendliness is a bit lacking: buckles riveted on and no sliders and catches on buckles for walk mode. This was probably done to save weight (just like the super light liner).

    So I for one, am interested in the “class of boots that walk a bit better than ZGTP, but ski better and last longer than 1kg class boots”. I think the existing title might be easier

    unfortunately for me it seems the models coming out are tending towards the wider lasts. I have high volume feet, but that volume all in the instep(quite tall), super skinny ankles and calves and not very wide forefoot.

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Location
    Wasatch
    Posts
    603
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjaardbreeuwer View Post
    This is my thought exactly. Lack of friction and ease of stride matter for most of the time you are out. Light boots are nice, but broken boots don't make you any faster.
    I think in the past, all the boots that walked well, were skimo race derived. Adding 150g won’t bother most people too terribly much, and if that can add some durability and ski performance, real world usefulness improves a lot.
    Very much agree. The only ask of the F1 LT imho was for an F1 that walks like the RS. The sub-1kg weight is relatively irrelevant to me (and I care about weight).

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    10,594
    Bump. How’s the 1300 g boot market with hudge ROM looking these days?

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2020
    Location
    SLC
    Posts
    2,143
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Bump. Howís the 1300 g boot market with hudge ROM looking these days?
    The Fischer Transalp, Dalbello Quantum Free, and La Sportiva Vanguard are some exciting new options for this year.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    808
    Does anyone have time on the transalp? Love my Travers and would stick with Fischer if for a beefier boot as well if people are liking them

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,106
    Quote Originally Posted by NWFlow View Post
    Does anyone have time on the transalp? Love my Travers and would stick with Fischer if for a beefier boot as well if people are liking them
    Pretty sure the lower shell is almost identical

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    10,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The Fischer Transalp, Dalbello Quantum Free, and La Sportiva Vanguard are some exciting new options for this year.
    As this thread shows I’m leaning toward the transalp pro since the Traverse fits my high instep / medium foot. And it’s in the 1300 g category. The Vanguard was 1500+ g in a 27.5 on wildsnow’s preview, so maybe it’s not in this category per se.

    Am I incorrect in recalling the Dalbello is lowish volume over the instep? That was the deal breaker for me with Zero G boots.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,106
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    As this thread shows Iím leaning toward the transalp pro since the Traverse fits my high instep / medium foot. And itís in the 1300 g category. The Vanguard was 1500+ g in a 27.5 on wildsnowís preview, so maybe itís not in this category per se.

    Am I incorrect in recalling the Dalbello is lowish volume over the instep? That was the deal breaker for me with Zero G boots.
    If the ZeroG is too low volume than the Dalbello certainly will be too, itís lower I believe. The Fischer Travers has an unusually high volume vertically for ski boots imo.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Ogden
    Posts
    8,365
    Iíd like to try on the Fischer but havenít seen them anywhere.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Am I incorrect in recalling the Dalbello is lowish volume over the instep? That was the deal breaker for me with Zero G boots.
    Dalbello Quantum AF is open space at the instep, but narrow at the mid foot. My high instep feet are a tight squeeze to get into them but once they are in Iím very comfy. You might have some tight pressure points from the *not* BOA wire retention system if you try to crank it down too much. But Iíd say because itís all air above the instep you canít really exert pressure on the instep in the same manner as an overlap boot, both in terms of static pressure from basic last fit or buckle adjustment, and also dynamic pressure from bellowing/pinching through each ski turn.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    215
    I did some extensive carpet testing on the Fischer Transalp Pro compared to a couple of other lighter boots, so I'll add some notes here in case anyone else finds them useful. I'm trying to find a replacement for my 2017 Atomic Backlands, which have been my main touring boot for the past 3 seasons. For reference, I have wide feet and strong calves but low-volume heels/achilles. Verifyt scan below.

    The Transalp Pros were 1210 grams out of the box in a size 24.5. One-finger shell fit; shell without liner was snug around the midfoot, with some pressure over the instep. I'd call the entire lower shell medium volume. The forefoot is less squared-off than I prefer, so my pinky toes were a bit squashed. The liners beefy and substantial. The gaiter attached to the shell makes it kind of a pain in the ass to insert/remove liners. ROM in walk mode is significantly better than the Hawx Prime XTD 130, with less friction overall and more degrees of flexion in both directions, especially rearward. In ski mode, the flex is softer than the Prime XTD (maybe 15-20 points, subjectively), but pretty progressive, with the top of the flex pattern being very soft. (This is at room temp, FWIW). The Prime XTD is significantly higher volume overall.

    For me, the fit out of the box for the Transalp was decent, but the heel hold was only pretty good and the lower shell would have needed too much work for it to be worth it. I do think it could be a great boot if it fits your foot; the ROM is better than 4-buckle boots in the same category and the flex probably stiffens up when the plastic is cold.

    I also tried the new Scarpa F1 LT. 926 grams in a size 24. I had high hopes based on all the glowing reviews but the fit made them a total nonstarter. I could barely get them on because of the tight lower shell and couldn't imagine trying to put them on after a night in a tent. Also couldn't lock down the heel well using the boa dial. They're not in the 1300 gram category anyway, so maybe no one reading this cares.

    The Dynafit TLT8 Carbonio (24.5) ended up being the best fit out of the box by far. I'll need a couple of mm extra width and a bit more length over my big toes, but nothing major. The stock liner was pathetically flimsy and the fit was dramatically improved when I swapped in my MV Pro Tours. Very good ROM (a bit better than the old Backlands with tongues), nice and snug around the heel and achilles, and surprisingly stiff, though not very progressive - definitely stiffer than the Transalp Pro, at least at the top of the flex pattern. I'll need to remount my touring skis because of the stupid speed nose and short BSL, but otherwise am tentatively stoked on them. 1035g with the MV Pro Tours and custom footbeds.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6161 (1).jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	390847

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Livingston, MT
    Posts
    1,622
    Quote Originally Posted by Jongle View Post
    I did some extensive carpet testing on the Fischer Transalp Pro compared to a couple of other lighter boots, so I'll add some notes here in case anyone else finds them useful. I'm trying to find a replacement for my 2017 Atomic Backlands, which have been my main touring boot for the past 3 seasons. For reference, I have wide feet and strong calves but low-volume heels/achilles. Verifyt scan below.

    The Transalp Pros were 1210 grams out of the box in a size 24.5. One-finger shell fit; shell without liner was snug around the midfoot, with some pressure over the instep. I'd call the entire lower shell medium volume. The forefoot is less squared-off than I prefer, so my pinky toes were a bit squashed. The liners beefy and substantial. The gaiter attached to the shell makes it kind of a pain in the ass to insert/remove liners. ROM in walk mode is significantly better than the Hawx Prime XTD 130, with less friction overall and more degrees of flexion in both directions, especially rearward. In ski mode, the flex is softer than the Prime XTD (maybe 15-20 points, subjectively), but pretty progressive, with the top of the flex pattern being very soft. (This is at room temp, FWIW). The Prime XTD is significantly higher volume overall.

    For me, the fit out of the box for the Transalp was decent, but the heel hold was only pretty good and the lower shell would have needed too much work for it to be worth it. I do think it could be a great boot if it fits your foot; the ROM is better than 4-buckle boots in the same category and the flex probably stiffens up when the plastic is cold.

    I also tried the new Scarpa F1 LT. 926 grams in a size 24. I had high hopes based on all the glowing reviews but the fit made them a total nonstarter. I could barely get them on because of the tight lower shell and couldn't imagine trying to put them on after a night in a tent. Also couldn't lock down the heel well using the boa dial. They're not in the 1300 gram category anyway, so maybe no one reading this cares.

    The Dynafit TLT8 Carbonio (24.5) ended up being the best fit out of the box by far. I'll need a couple of mm extra width and a bit more length over my big toes, but nothing major. The stock liner was pathetically flimsy and the fit was dramatically improved when I swapped in my MV Pro Tours. Very good ROM (a bit better than the old Backlands with tongues), nice and snug around the heel and achilles, and surprisingly stiff, though not very progressive - definitely stiffer than the Transalp Pro, at least at the top of the flex pattern. I'll need to remount my touring skis because of the stupid speed nose and short BSL, but otherwise am tentatively stoked on them. 1035g with the MV Pro Tours and custom footbeds.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6161 (1).jpeg 
Views:	148 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	390847
    Lot of good beta, thanks for the post!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    1,109
    Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    The Fischer Transalp, Dalbello Quantum Free, and La Sportiva Vanguard are some exciting new options for this year.
    The Quantum Free seem to be the only real contender. The Transalp I'd bet $ is better on the up, but not as good on the down. I'd discount the Vanguard for the up since it has that non removable tongue. Non removable shell tongues in my experience always significantly increase friction/ effort of stride. Who knows what it'll be like on the down. I was not a fan of the feel of the Spectres, the only progressive feel came from the lower bulging out.

    ZGTP are just such an amazing boot. If I have the tongues in my first gen Backland Carbon's the ZGTP (lower buckles secure, upper buckles undone, power strap lose) is uphilling only a smidge worse that, and way better than the TLT6/7 ever did. It certainly stands heads and shoulders above any boot that uphills as good as it does or better.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •