Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Nope,
    I believe the whole point of this thread is to discuss boots that walk a hell of a lot better than the ZGTP while still skiing well.

I wonder if people who think Hawx XTD and ZGTP’s walk “fine” or “great” have ever spent any time or long days in a boot that truly walks well.
    I mean I’d obviously take it if there was an option. But right now if you want a better walking boot it won’t ski like the Zero G.

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    So many different approaches to skiing, interpretations of a day of touring, and foot shapes. I’m an aging (53) lifelong, full time skier, using technique and gear to ameliorate my slowly and steadily declining physical prowess, and trying to hold my own with younger skiers.
    For huge days, covering lots of ground, skiing classic lines but not charging, and for my low volume low instep anatomy, nothing comes close to the ~1300gm Salomon S-Lab X/Alp (and presumably the related Arcteryx Procline, which with the added tongue might be my perfect boot). They’re only a bit lighter than my Hoji Frees, but the all day comfort (with LV protour liners)and walk ability has to be experienced to be believed. I’m choked that they’ve been discontinued. I can’t imagine skiing anything less supportive.
    On shorter days, and when I’m just lapping more technical lines, looking for more of the fore aft support and rebound of a hill boot, the ~ 1500gm Hoji Frees (I have the 110s) do the job. Their ROM is fine, they’re way warmer, presumably are going to be much more durable (my Salomons are shot after ~ 100 days), and the fit is a bit spacious (which I’m taking up with MV Luxury liner). Probably just fine as a do it all touring boot for many.
    Interesting you are in the Hoji Free with low volume feet; I had always ruled it out on its large volume. How does it fit for you? I am looking for a replacement for the S/Lab MTN, which is too voluminous for my little feet, especially around the ankle.

Coming from Vulcan I am small foot/ low volume/ but wide forefoot, so I tried on the Hoji 115 and I think it would work for me probably with no alterations other than maybe a liner
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by JackSkier View Post
    Interesting you are in the Hoji Free with low volume feet; I had always ruled it out on its large volume. How does it fit for you? I am looking for a replacement for the S/Lab MTN, which is too voluminous for my little feet, especially around the ankle.
    The hoji free has about the smallest ankle available right now, most people I know in it have had to do significant work. Don’t let the wide stated last fool you, all the means is that the toe box is gigantic.

Quote Originally Posted by madriverfreeride View Post
    The hoji free has about the smallest ankle available right now, most people I know in it have had to do significant work. Don’t let the wide stated last fool you, all the means is that the toe box is gigantic.
    Yes, toe box and calf are huge (on me), but ankle seems fine, which means it must be low volume.

Nope,
    I believe the whole point of this thread is to discuss boots that walk a hell of a lot better than the ZGTP while still skiing well.

I wonder if people who think Hawx XTD and ZGTP’s walk “fine” or “great” have ever spent any time or long days in a boot that truly walks well.
    Frankly, I'm a little scared to try a boot that walks fine. Being on the heavier end of the scale myself, every one of the "great" walking boots I've tried on pretty well folded underneath me. I spent one season on the OG La Sportiva Spectre's and it got to be exhausting worrying about whether or not the snow conditions would be soft and consistent enough for me to not blow through the front and stretch my achilles. Blower wasn't much of an issue but anything wind affected got spooky.

For the past 3 season I've been on xtd's and can live with the walk for a boot that I don't have to think about on the way down. So, I really curious to see if any of this new crop of super slippers might supportive enough to cover at least most of the better conditions. Like Kootney, I'm 53 and embracing every technologically shed gram to compensate for the creeping of decrepitude. When they make a 1Kg boot that will fit my foot and do at least a credible job I will be first in line - till then I'm pinning my hopes on this 1.3Kg category to give the the super walk and acceptable boot power. Viva Grilamid!

~1300g boot thread

^^ You’re 220, I’m 160. We’re looking for different things in a boot.
    I have hawx xtd too - they ski well, but it’s a four buckle overlap boot - they walk well for what they are (yup there’s that huge caveat) but IMHO they definitely do not walk great. No way I’m taking that boot on a long, lots of vert slogfest.

My basis of comparison is a TLT5p. Walks great, skis ok for me. I am happy spending all day in and can ski pretty much anything I’m touring to in it. You’d probably fold it in half on first turn. Issue is that boot is 10 or 12 years old, been thru several liners, rivets are popped or missing and the sole is ragged.

Thats the boot I’m looking to replace. Surely in 10 years of boot development theres something “better”.
    I’m trying to figure out if it’s one of these 1300gm boots (transalp, quantum free, etc.) that weighs a bit more, probably walk as well and ski better OR if its in the other 1kg thread (quantum factory, travers, etc.)

ZGTP aint it. Trying to argue they “end this thread” because they ski better is too simplistic and silly.

Problem is these boots are either next years or impossible to find locally so hoping this thread morphs into some real world user experience and fit commentary.
    Last edited by dcpnz; 03-17-2021 at 10:38 PM.

No experience in the Hawx but I've used the ZGTS (Scout) for 2 seasons now, maybe ~120 days. Prior to ZG the best walking boot I'd owned was a Scarpa F1 (walkability = great). I've since picked up an Alien RS (walkability = exceptional) and used it on a few occasions. The ZG is the best skiing touring boot I've owned, by a mile (ski = exceptional).

ZG w/stock liner = fine (not as good as F1 but better than Mango Maestrale)
    ZG w/F1 liner = great (as good as F1)
    ZG w/Tour Wrap = fine minus (worse than stock IMO)

I think the walkability suffers noticeably with the Tour Wrap - the 100% praise of that liner in the ZG thread doesn't match my experience. The boot goes from an efficient strider to more of a shuffler. Still light years better than the old stuff, but noticeably worse. Works great for powder yo yo-ing in the winter, but I'd like to try a tongue liner again this spring.

The hoji free has about the smallest ankle available right now, most people I know in it have had to do significant work.
    Actually the ankle volume in ski mode is average, but the scaffo bends in right where many people's malleolus happens to be when flexing heavily and/or skinning, and it's hard to punch because of lack of support.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post

I think the walkability suffers noticeably with the Tour Wrap - the 100% praise of that liner in the ZG thread doesn't match my experience. The boot goes from an efficient strider to more of a shuffler. Still light years better than the old stuff, but noticeably worse. Works great for powder yo yo-ing in the winter, but I'd like to try a tongue liner again this spring.
    Agreed. And I own the F1, TLT5P, HawX and have owned Vulcan/Mercury

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Actually the ankle volume in ski mode is average, but the scaffo bends in right where many people's malleolus happens to be when flexing heavily and/or skinning, and it's hard to punch because of lack of support.
    Interesting, I haven’t skied them personally but a bunch of friends have them. Didn’t realize that they were mostly doing work for more comfortable skinning and not more comfortable skiing.

Do you happen to know how the new Radical Pro which is relevant to this thread, fits in relation to the hoji free and hoji tour?

The hoji free walks pretty good, at least much better than the zero g and it shuts m skis better

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

^^ You’re 220, I’m 160. We’re looking for different things in a boot.
    I have hawx xtd too - they ski well, but it’s a four buckle overlap boot - they walk well for what they are (yup there’s that huge caveat) but IMHO they definitely do not walk great. No way I’m taking that boot on a long, lots of vert slogfest.

My basis of comparison is a TLT5p. Walks great, skis ok for me. I am happy spending all day in and can ski pretty much anything I’m touring to in it. You’d probably fold it in half on first turn. Issue is that boot is 10 or 12 years old, been thru several liners, rivets are popped or missing and the sole is ragged.

Thats the boot I’m looking to replace. Surely in 10 years of boot development theres something “better”.
    I’m trying to figure out if it’s one of these 1300gm boots (transalp, quantum free, etc.) that weighs a bit more, probably walk as well and ski better OR if its in the other 1kg thread (quantum factory, travers, etc.)

ZGTP aint it. Trying to argue they “end this thread” because they ski better is too simplistic and silly.

Problem is these boots are either next years or impossible to find locally so hoping this thread morphs into some real world user experience and fit commentary.
    If you truly have a low volume foot and a low instep, which if the TLT5 worked for you without absurd modifications then you presumably do, then the Salomon S-Lab X/Alp (and the potentially better skiing latest model of the Arcteryx Procline AR with the extra tongue) was/is the boot you seek. Unfortunately it’s been discontinued. I’m hoping that Amer’s investment in the molds will ensure a replacement sooner than later, but I’m not taking any chances, and am currently scouring the used market for a lightly used replacement.
    None of the the recent potentially interesting offerings in this space from La Sportiva, Movement, Scarpa and Dalbello are catering to a low volume fit.

Do you happen to know how the new Radical Pro which is relevant to this thread, fits in relation to the hoji free and hoji tour?
    Sorry, haven't been able to try one on yet.

Quote Originally Posted by North View Post
    interesting. i have a tour wrap in my hawx and love how it skis. but you got me thinking, because I'm in the camp of 'dont know what a GREAT walking boot feels like' having never owned something lighter/better walking than the hawx.

perhaps ill try the stock tongue liner in it

Quote Originally Posted by kootenayskier View Post
    If you truly have a low volume foot and a low instep, which if the TLT5 worked for you without absurd modifications then you presumably do, then the Salomon S-Lab X/Alp (and the potentially better skiing latest model of the Arcteryx Procline AR with the extra tongue) was/is the boot you seek. Unfortunately it’s been discontinued.
    Interesting.... and they’re available heavily discounted in my size.
    Honestly haven’t looked at or considered a sally touring boot since trying on the MTN - the last shape on that thing was absolutely terrible for my foot. Are you saying the S-lab x alp is radically different?

This is where the liner quiver approach makes a ton of sense: use the tour wrap in ZGTP for pow laps and some tongue liner for long slogs/spring vertfests. To get TLT6Ps to ski close to how a ZGTP skis with a tour wrap means, for me, an intuition plug wrap, booster strap and tongue for the down. By the time you do all that, the TLT6P weighs almost the same and only walks a bit better. The only thing you can really do to a ZGTP to get it to "walk" better is a flexy tongue liner and lighten it a bit by killing the lower buckle and removing the power strap. By the time you do all that, IMO, it only skis a little better than the modded TLT6Ps.

Yeah, something like 65 or more ROM in a ZGTP would be boss, but I kind of doubt it would matter much to me with the same liner options. The tongue liner will still ski like a tongue liner (worse than wrap, but walk good) and a wrap is still a wrap (ski better walk worse even w/intuition cutout), but maybe that's just because I have chicken feet. Someone will inevitably figure out an overlap style boot with a ton of ROM, but liners are liners.

Honestly haven’t looked at or considered a sally touring boot since trying on the MTN - the last shape on that thing was absolutely terrible for my foot. Are you saying the S-lab x alp is radically different?
    RADICALLY different. The X-Alp is very anatomical and low volume. It's fucking awesome for my foot in a way few are (TLT5/6 are too).

Yes the X-Alp fits radically different than the MTN, way lower volume.

Are you sure that you see the Procline AR version? I keep an eye out for those popping up but they are rare. Every other version of the Procline and X-Alp don't have tongues and are mega soft. I sold the X-Alps I had because they were too soft for my 160lbs mellow skiing, but miss the fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    Yes the X-Alp fits radically different than the MTN, way lower volume.

Are you sure that you see the Procline AR version? I keep an eye out for those popping up but they are rare. Every other version of the Procline and X-Alp don't have tongues and are mega soft. I sold the X-Alps I had because they were too soft for my 160lbs mellow skiing, but miss the fit.
    Ahhh.....no
    Thanks for clarification and education - didn’t realize the bit about the extra tongue

Ahhh.....no
    Thanks for clarification and education - didn’t realize the bit about the extra tongue
    Your foot is probably a lot like mine. Love the TLT5 and XTD 130. Roxa RX and Alien RS are as close as I've been able to get but there is room for improvement. I've tried everything but the Skorpius which I'm curious about.

~1300g boot thread

Anyone have an idea of the shell fit on the Roxa RX? I’m a comfort 27.5/performance 26.5 in the Vulcan. Currently skiing the Vulcan in a 26.5 with a toe punch and liners are just a tad short but ok. Low instep, ankle and arch, a little over a D width.

The price on those on theskimonster are pretty appealing right now for a sleeper boot.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by dub_xion View Post
    Anyone have an idea of the shell fit on the Roxa RX? I’m a comfort 27.5/performance 26.5 in the Vulcan. Currently skiing the Vulcan in a 26.5 with a toe punch and liners are just a tad short but ok. Low instep, ankle and arch, a little over a D width.

The price on those on theskimonster are pretty appealing right now for a sleeper boot.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...body-asked-for

I went in depth on this a few months ago. I could be convinced to sell the RX Tour (27.5).

Quote Originally Posted by Benneke10 View Post
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...body-asked-for

I went in depth on this a few months ago. I could be convinced to sell the RX Tour (27.5).
    If you sell those 27.5s I could be interested. I have the Hagan pure and think I should have gone 27 instead of 28. Gotta do a little more research to see if the smaller BSL would warrant a remount though and difference in lasts.

Thanks for that write up! Will PM you with q’s