Gman is offline Mack Master William Large

Need some poles for touring/hiking, what to look for?

I want to get a pair of poles for touring and doing some hiking in the summer months and wondering if it's possible to get something that will be decent for both. My kiddo is getting bigger so I want some poles for the summer hiking trips so I can have a little more stability when she is in the backpack. I'd say the use is most likely going to be 80% non snow weather but still want something I can use for touring if possible. Should I lightweight with carbon or something else? Had BD poles back in the day that seemed fine.

Get BD Expedition poles. The weight difference with carbon is minimal but the aluminum seems to be more durable. I abuse poles and have had good luck with the Expeditions. I especially like the extended foam grip and that the foam they used is friendly even with bare hands. They come with a winter powder basket and a small summer mini-basket.

You'll have to go to the other thread to determine if you want removable straps...

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.co...CABEgLlYvD_BwE

I got the BD flicklocks 2 section with carbon lower/ aluminium upper which are bomber, there is always a bunch of pairs in the baskette of a hut helo so they have been popular, I also use them for hiking and some xc skiing

now appear to be called the Razor with Innovative SwitchRelease technology in the wrist strap

whatever that is and i think BD will sell you parts for the pole
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-16-2021 at 10:44 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

First question is if you want releasable straps.

Believe it or not, you can hike and tour just fine with a pair of $4.95 beater poles from Goodwill.

The only difference between most companies' touring poles and their trekking poles is the basket and a rubber thingy they stick on the end, but they work fine in ski mode for both (once in a while you will get a powder basket stuck in between rocks, but it's not enough of a hassle to warrant swapping baskets twice a year).

If you feel you must spend some money on adjustable poles, the classic Black Diamond Traverse (all aluminum) is great, so is the Razor (carbon lower) as XXX'er mentions. I used to recommend the Leki Haute Route but they have discontinued it - Leki Aergonlite 2 (all aluminum) is a fine replacement but more money.

Need some poles for touring/hiking, what to look for?

I’m happy to have adjustables. I got turned on to the “cascade mountain tech carbon” by a fellow mag I forget who.

Cheap price and “Not intended for alpine skiing”

Probably heavy but they’ve served dual duty hiking and inbounds skiing. I wanted adjustable so I could adjust the height of my “shelters” but then I overnight with a freestanding 2p tent.

I did break one of the lock tabs banging snow off of my boots (I think) so careful there probably with any maker. It still has enough leverage that it’s not a pain to use.

Telescopic is nice to be able to stow on the pack when you want. Three piece is a higher fiddle factor and, I’d have to assume, can be heavier. The BD two piece I was eyeing were sold out at the time so I got these. These have a high fiddle factor on the hand strap adjustment but the system does hold it in position.

Comes with two different baskets and some rubber tips. The steel tip though works fine and has proven to be harder than whatever rocks I bashed it into so far and grips on even pretty smooth stones. I’d assume the steel would eventually just cut through the rubber caps.

I used the rubber cap once at the zoo when I needed to use one as a cane after a slow backwards downhill twist fall earlier that day on the hill.

Could also serve as a wading staff if I could find (or even devise) an attachment system that makes any sense at all.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

i've got some adjustable k2 poles that have served me well but before that i had a pair of yukon charlie trekking poles i picked up on the bay for something like $15. they were great and pretty bomber until i dropped one off a cliff. i recommend.
    swing your fucking sword.