Salomon MTN toe pieces

The springs in the toe pieces are getting weak.
    Any idea where i can buy replacement toe pieces, for MTN bindings?

Thank you

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Are you prereleasing?

I would make Salomon replace them if this is actually the situation.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
    Are you prereleasing?

I would make Salomon replace them if this is actually the situation.
    Not yet, but compared to my wife's setup, on tour mode, toes not locked, it's a lot easier to twist out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Not yet, but compared to my wife's setup, on tour mode, toes not locked, it's a lot easier to twist out of them.
    That could be an indicator that your pins or inserts are more worn, not that the springs are weaker. And boot sole length will effect that as well even if both heels use the same strength prong set.

To check the springs you'll to check the pressure required to open the binding by pushing down on the lever.

Atomic/Salomon don't offer replacements toe bindings.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    That could be an indicator that your pins or inserts are more worn, not that the springs are weaker. And boot sole length will effect that as well even if both heels use the same strength prong set.

To check the springs you'll to check the pressure required to open the binding by pushing down on the lever.

Atomic/Salomon don't offer replacements toe bindings.
    Boots are brand new, hoji free, it seems that it takes less pressure to press on the lever.

Spring steel should be good for thousands and thousands of cycles......

Just swap the toes off your wifes skis

Theoretically "properly-made" spring steel should never, ever lose it's strength unless deformed past a certain point, which isn't going to happen within a binding mechanism.

I hear you but it's pretty clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderjon View Post
    Just swap the toes off your wifes skis
    She skis pretty hard, and like me once she loses confidence in a binding, it's gone.

^ Maybe the spring manufacturer didn't get the heat treatment quite right. Hopefully Soli isn't sourcing them from China...

Lube all the pivots and check again, i think this is the first time I have seen a complaint of weak tech toe springs in tech talk, its doubtful

edit:

" but compared to my wife's setup, on tour mode, toes not locked, it's a lot easier to twist out of them. "

SO apres another cup of joe to waken the brain, if you were grabbing the boots by the heel and twisting out of the binding, i assume your boot will be bigger than your wifes SO the boot will be a longer lever TO twist out of the toe piece which may explain what you noticed

i assume these ^^ are exactly the same toepieces because as per Lou dawsons geeking about on tech toes all the different brand use different springs with different values, still they all work . the tech toe doesnt release at the toe , the springs keeps the pins in the sockets and when the heel releases the boot seperates from the ski as the toe pins twist out

If you don't know what is screwed up you figure out what isnt screwed up

so compare your boot in another of the same binding, if wifes binding you can use hers even if your wifes binding setup is smaller by putting the boot in backwards and twisting

i have witnessed tech toe sockets affect release and that was the garmont toe fiasco 7-8 years ago, garmont used their own substandard toe sockets which required a higher amount of force, we tried a buddies cosmo's and it was definatley a thing so I bought mercury's instead which was a smart move and Garmont sold to Scott.

And thats why you see brand new AT boots at the shop with that orange thing clipped to the sockets, it means the boot has real dynafit fittings
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-16-2021 at 11:26 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    ^ Maybe the spring manufacturer didn't get the heat treatment quite right. Hopefully Soli isn't sourcing them from China...
    every fucking thing is made in china ( say it the same way trump would ) including COVID 19

hopefully the spring manufacturer isnt sourcing them in somewhere like the USA

I feel like a pair of MTN I have feel sloppy and the mechanism for locking the toe out of stiff and unprecise. I'm going to lube everything and hope it gets better.

I agree it's very doubtful to be the springs, but some source of friction or other worn out part.

I tried, in tour mode, with my boot, both bindings, mine and my wife's, twisting the visit, and mine released a lot easier.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    every fucking thing is made in china ( say it the same way trump would ) including COVID 19

hopefully the spring manufacturer isnt sourcing them in somewhere like the USA
    Pretty sure the toes are being made by Plum in France . . .

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Pretty sure the toes are being made by Plum in France . . .
    Fascinating. Looking for similar design lines the only similarity I can see is in the crampon mount. To my eye otherwise they were designed by a different group. Maybe designed mostly by salomon with a little help with the crampon receptor and then just made on Plum machines/expertise?

well I was trying to be obtuse,

i remember when we all would agree don't buy that shitty stuff from japan the manual for my motorcyle had spelling errors and their writing was almost as bad as mine, the screws were all soft like velveeta chese

but seriously if it comes from china and it sucks thats cuz the company having the stuff made cheaped out or failed to properly supervise

Quote Originally Posted by timmaio View Post
    Fascinating. Looking for similar design lines the only similarity I can see is in the crampon mount. To my eye otherwise they were designed by a different group. Maybe designed mostly by salomon with a little help with the crampon receptor and then just made on Plum machines/expertise?
    Agreed, and I've owned a number of Plum bindings - but the Plum crampons are money in the Salomon toes!