Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Before my season was rudely ended in early March by a high speed collision with a tree resulting in a surgically repaired humerus, I had roughly -
    30 Sakana
    10 Devs
    10 BCs
    10 Scimitar
    5 Spats
    3 Concepts
    2 Peacemakers
    2 4FRNT Turbo
    2 Surface One Life
    1 BH Monarch
    1 Protest
    1 OG Protest

About 4 skis in the quiver sat idle, but there’s always next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was finishing my dissertation and dealing with boot issues so I only have ten days so far. But I did two of those on the Moment Commander 98 and the rest on the Deathwish 112.

Super happy with the Deathwish in all conditions. I really feel like it's a one ski quiver. The Commander 98 rips, I'm still learning how to power it through bumps.

0/6 for me. No skiing since last March's COVID shutdown, and I picked up 2, new to me skis, right about the time of the shut down - skis I still haven't made a turn on.

Well, at least I got a lot of work in this Winter.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Lots of touring this season, plus 15 or so days at Whistler.

Bent Chetler 120 (184) + G3 Zeds: ~35 days. It was a very good snow year and I skied a lot of pow on these.
    Line Vision 98 (179) + Zeds: ~20 days. Low-tide days, spring couloirs, traverses, fitness laps.
    Rossignol Black Ops Gamer (186): ~10 days. Would recommend.
    Moment Wildcat 108 (184): ~5 days. Will likely sell. Great ski but the Gamer is next level.
    Line Pescado + Zeds: 2 days. Not sure why I didn't ski these more this year.
    Dynastar Slicer [Menace] 98 (181): 1 day. Never really clicked with them, might be a tune issue.

1/1 moment wildcat 108 ~80 days

How much of your quiver have you skied in 20/21?

Used briefly this season then Sold:

181cm Salomon QST 106 - 4 days (bought cheap in summer 2020, then sold for basically what I paid to get the M102... and I had the E104 which I prefer),

183cm Faction Candide 5.0 - 4 days (sold after ~40 days on these mostly last season....great ski! Love it. Let go as I was having too much fun on the Protos),

177cm M102 - 5 days (no speed limit on piste, but non-inspirational off piste, thought I could be a Mantra skier, I can ski them no prob, and go super fast but I found them not nimble enough in steep/sketchy/dicy, always wanted to be on something else in those conditions. If you always ski super fast on groomers then ok, but that is not where I ski, so I let them go...~$150CDN lesson but it was worth it),

Used this season and keeping for next season:

180cm Dynastar Proto 118 + Pivots - 8 days (awesome and nicely replaced the Candide 5.0 for inbounds pow),

180cm Elan Ripstick 106 + Shifts - 3 days (mounted these with Shifts for slackcountry, they stiffened them up from 2020, so light but still solid, a fun, light M102),

180cm Rustler 11 + Pivots - 5 days (the one-ski quiver ski hasn't seen much use due to E104 and Proto 118?),

179cm Enforcer 104 Free + STHs - 15 days (104mm has been my go to ski with my tweaked knee, this ski seems to be the right mix of width/solidness/playfulness),

180cm Elan Ripstick 96 Black Edition + STHs - 3 days (my 2nd pair of Ripsticks?? these are the 2022 even stiffer Black Edition Ripsticks),

TOTAL DAYS = 47 ...all at Whistler/Blackcomb

Off season changes/additions already made for next year:

Bought 2021 181cm Icelantic Nomad 115s + Pivots (got them for $450US, owned Nomad 115s and 105s before, and really liked ‘em), love the fat non-tapered tips on on these.

Bought then sold an unmounted pair of 177 (180cm) 2020 K2 Catamarans.... as the 2021 Reckoners came available for too cheap.

Bought 177 (180cm) 2021 K2 Reckoner 112s + STH

Hopefully Baker opens for Canadians next winter. I'll keep the Reckoner 112s and Proto 118s in North Van for deep Mt. Baker days.

The rest of the quiver will live at Whistler (Nomad 115, R11, E104, Ripstick 96).

The 106 Ripsticks with Shifts travel around with me.

I think I'm good. Really.
    Last edited by kc_7777; 04-29-2021 at 05:47 PM.

30 days in SLC. Horrible timing - missed EVERY good day there was in SLC. Conditions so bad it seemed like skiing on the least coast. Essentially dust on crust, even at Snowbird.

Played on:
    Stockli Lazer AR (83mm)
    Kastle FX95

Did not play on:
    Kastle MX88 (too enamored with the Stockli's)
    Nordica Enforcer 104 Free
    Nordica Patron

Miserable season when 95 is the biggest thing that came out to play.

Kastle FX 95 + Pivots -- 17 Days. Skied everything from very firm, to wind buff and corn.
    Black Crows Atris + Pivots -- 15 Days. Smooth damp fun ski - still trying to figure mount point.
    Black Crows Anima + Pivots -- 4 Days. Unfortunately didn't have enough deep days.
    Soul 7 + Dynafits -- 4 days Touring

I've got a ton of stuff I've picked up this year. I moved from mostly 175-180 skis to all longer than 183 or so.
    I'm about 35 days for the year, all on Hood - MHM.

I found a deals on
    '18 185cm Cochise (orange ones.)
    '19 186 Bodacious (and a backup pair of the real OG's (2013's) in the last day or two)
    '16 186 Volkl Two
    '13 183 Katana
    And a buddy and I are sharing, since March, a pair of FX95HP 189s.
    And last, a pair of 182 GS Skis.

I spent a few dozen laps on the GS Skis - mostly one night ski trip and a few extra hard mornings.
    Then usually I'm on the Cochises if it's firmer and the Bodacious if it's remotely soft. (Or extra choppy - those things bust chop like nothing else.)

I haven't spent a lot of time on the Volkl two's or the Katana's. I'm not sure what to think of the Katanas. They have legendary status, but honestly, I can't think of a time when I'd pull them out over something else. (Mostly the Bodacious.) I may pass them on. They were practically new - glossy top-sheets and near perfect bases. They're certainly nice, but I dunno - not my thing I guess.

The Volkl Two's got a day total - and a buddy skied them one day. (I didn't get very many deep days this year.) They'd be great on the right day. They were cheap, and I'll keep them. Good loaners. No one will be able to sink those things.

FX95HP's: those are interesting. The FX95HP's seem like less ski in 189 than the FX94's felt in 176. I've kind of wanted a MX/FX to fill in, between the 68mm waist GS ski and the Cochise. I have a MX98 in 174, but it's just too short. But the edge-hold on the FX95HP just isn't anything like the FX94. So, not sure what I'll do for that slot. That said, the 189 FX95HP skis really nicely. Sure doesn't feel like 189. I could easily go longer.

I often swap skis mid-day. The most usual is Cochise then Bodacious. (Probably a 3rd of the time.)
    Occasionally GS then Cochise.
    And more often than I'd expect - the Bodacious all day. (Probably a third of the time.)
    The rest of the time, it was a dog's breakfast - whatever struck my fancy.

I could live with just three; GS, Cochise and Bodacious.

I didn't ski any of the 175-180 skis - Cochise, Dakota, Bodacious, Kastle this year. The longer lengths were just "better."
    And I'd like to find a 192 Cochise, just to see how badly it would kick my ass. It'd be a fun experiment anyway. (at 145#, 5'7" and moving firmly into my mid 50's.)

You guys that get 30+ days a season sure make me jealous. Last 2 seasons amounted to maybe 8 days per season.
    This season was all MX84's with a day or two on Atomic Vantage 100's.
    I sure hope to use more of the quiver next season and get in 30+ days if the ski club opens up its lodging again.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    You guys that get 30+ days a season sure make me jealous. Last 2 seasons amounted to maybe 8 days per season.
    This season was all MX84's with a day or two on Atomic Vantage 100's.
    I sure hope to use more of the quiver next season and get in 30+ days if the ski club opens up its lodging again.
    Yeah, I totally get that.
    I'll just note that I didn't get to ski much until I was nearly 50.
    My parents/family were nordic skiers and lift-served skiing was practically evil. [Only kind of joking...]
    So, until I was 20, I probably only had 10-15 days total, lifetime.
    I was too poor for the next 10-15 years, but probably got another 20-30 total.
    Then I was a dad, and was both poor and time constrained.
    About 5 years ago, I started skiing with my, then 13 year old, daughter - with a school ski program.
    I've had a season pass since, and I've put in 20-30 days average.

I figure I have a few years left before I need to turn down the volume and start skiing more like my age, instead of some stupid 20 year old.
    I'm trying to make up for lost time.

It helps that really great skiing on Mt Hood is about 1:20 from my front door, if traffic isn't a mess.
    I really can't complain, even though I still do! [I can at least grump like an old man.]

All of it. Of course, my quiver is only 3 pairs, so not a huge range.

I skied the AT skis for a week trip to MT , and at the bigger nearby hill one day for practice.
    Also used them for a sidecountry day in the UP, and the following inbounds day because I forgot my resort boots.

Skied K2 Marksman twice locally in soft snow, but mostly skied my Firebird Race Ti skis around here when I wasn’t skinning up. Maybe a dozen ‘days’ but most of those were just a few hours.

What with Corona, we didn’t travel out west except for the MT trip(all skinning) so no big mountain inbounds skiing this year.

So the entire quiver got used, but vertical feet were waaaayyy down.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    35ish days here in NC, 5ish in montucky. accumulated most of my quiver throughout the season.
    195 FRD - 20ish
    191 9D8 (traded) - 15ish
    2016 190 Bibby - 2
    2016 196 Hoji - 1
    191 Lhasa Pow - 1
    2016 196 Renegade (arrived today) - 0
    187 Protest - 0
    186 Ranger 98 - 0
    I think your quiver is trying to tell you to move out west.

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by waveshello View Post
    I think your quiver is trying to tell you to move out west.
    and that is why i am doing just that.
    swing your fucking sword.

~60 days here.....it wasn't a good season in Summit, but traveled south for some better days.

I've skied 5 out of 6 skis.
    Enforcer 100 w/STH...32 days
    Enforcer 110 w/STH.....7
    Praxis GPO w/P12 (rocks skis)......3
    Volkl V-Werk Katana w/Ions....10
    Praxis Protest w/Kingpins......8

Not skied (yet?)
    Dynastar Mythic Pro 97 w/MTN
    Old's Cool.

You guys are weird

Quote Originally Posted by muted reborn View Post
    You guys are weird
    Could you be more specific with your feed back please

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

40 - 180 Brahma 88

1 - 188 Rustler 9
    (got these at end of season)

5 - 190 Deathwish

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I'm at 63 days so far.

55 on my 183cm Salomon Stance 102's
    2 on my 186cm Blizzard Gunsmokes when the Stances were in for a repair
    3 on my 181cm Praxis Skinny Quixotes (backcountry setup)
    3 on my Voile V6 BC fishscale skis.

I own 20+ pairs of skis, and 10+ with bindings on them, but I've become more and more anti-quiver over the years. Learn to ski a pair or two of skis in ALL snow conditions, don't buy a dozen pairs of skis each for an ultra-specific set of conditions.

Equipment can make skiing easier, but it can't make you a better skier.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I own 20+ pairs of skis, and 10+ with bindings on them, but I've become more and more anti-quiver over the years. Learn to ski a pair or two of skis in ALL snow conditions, don't buy a dozen pairs of skis each for an ultra-specific set of conditions.
    I agree in that there is a def place for learning to find joy in the here and now, and to focus on making the now as good as possible - instead of making it dependent on an external factor (correct selection of ski). I know that is something that I can improve upon.

I also find that there is definately a point of diminishing returns wrt quiver size. For me that point is when I start to think "hm, would I have had more fun if I had been on X ski instead of the one I am one / the ones I brought?" At that point having a quiver detracts from the experience, it does not add to it.

Ideally I like a 3 ski quiver in the various segments (tour, 50/50, resort) to accomodate varied use across multiple resorts and scenarios. That is a ski for shallow conditions, a daily driver and a pow specific shape. For me that would yield a quiver consisting of somewhere between two to nine skis.

Then again I take a lot of joy and learn a lot by being on a lot of different ski and trying to figure out how to ski them to make them work - aka quiver building. I am not a huge fan of the "this ski does not ski how I want a ski in this segment to ski, so it must suck"-approach to ski reviews.

I've used 18/18 pairs of skis this year (to be depicted in the quiver thread some day), that number is to be reduced to 13 (+2 skis kept for sentimental reasons that have like 0 resale value). It might be further refined to 9-10 (2x specific touring skis, 3x 50/50 skis and 4-5 fomofied (CAST/Shift) dedicated resort skis - time will tell. At some point it ends up costing more to get new skis to merge existing ones than to just keep the existing ones. I am fairly happy with most of them.

I have no idea how many days I have on each ski or how many days I have in total - less than I would have hoped.

24 days. Little disappointed I didn't tour hardly at all this year but it was the first year I had a season pass since college so I couldn't pass up the lift served turns. Love the Jeffery. Didn't love the MVP, looking for its replacement as a 1 ski do it all touring stick in the INW.

191 Jeffery 108 - 21 days
    192 stiff Protest - 2 days
    193 veneer MVPs (touring sticks) - 1 day

Left to right, 6, 30, 2, 6, 10, 10 & 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fun, I'll play...
    Low 60's in days so far this year, roughly 2/3 inbounds, 1/3 BC
    Inbound days split evenly between...
    K2 mindbender 108ti - especially earlier season and on low snow/bump days; really fun mounted fwd
    4frnt EHP - still my mid-season daily driver; have hoarded two and need a 3rd
    4frnt renegade - new, took some getting used to, but skied it alot before taking it up to AK
    Plus 1 pow day on swiss cheese Praxis Protest
    BC days...
    Primarily 4frnt raven - midwinter go-to
    Blizzard zero g 85 - go to spring/skimo ski that always surprises on how well it does in really any conditions; this really makes me think about the 95 or 105 versions
    So net-net, skied 5/5 of main quiver extensively, and the Protests are kind of a swiss cheese BF insert project that can only go out on deep days (or they'll likely snap in half)

All the COVID uncertainties and curveballs, plus skiing with mild half-injuries all season, made it a very weird winter for me of "not aiming high" for my ski goals---so I was content to just ski solo and enjoy working on my own useless project of wasting time to A/B Test a bunch of outdated chargers.

20/21 season

The skis I used in order of most to least days on them:

Used:
    Devastator 194
    Head m103 183
    O.G. Katana 190
    Mantra 191 2009
    Explosiv 190
    Nordica W9.1FF 190 (w105)
    Stormrider 110 TT 192
    Stormrider DP Pro 2008 193
    EHP 193 2012
    Kastle MX108 187
    O.G. LegendPro 186
    RC112 188cm
    Bibby 190
    Flexon Tanker 190
    Kastle MX98 194
    O.G. Katana 197
    O.G. LegendPro 194
    BigDump 192
    Kastle MX108 195
    LegendPro XXL 194
    Mothership 195
    Scott Santiago Pure 188
    O.G. Squad Bandit B104 194
    O.G. BigDaddy 193
    Nordica Blowers 193
    O.G. Bodacious 196
    O.G Bonafide 187
    O.G. Cochise 193
    Wolf ColdSmoke 182
    CRJ 188
    Salomon El Dictator 194
    Faction Royale 190
    O.G. JJ 185
    K2 Big Kahuna 190 (similar to Explosiv)
    Atomic PowderPlus 190
    RC112 198
    ON3P Wrenegade 191 2012
    Head m103 193
    O.G Hellbent 179
    Prior A-Star Quad-glass 193
    Prior A-Star XTC Carbon 193
    Rossi SC108 195
    Scott Punisher 182 park ski

Not used:
    Too many skis in my mega-quiver to bother listing.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

^^^^^ Fuck, are you kidding me? I will never think I piss money away on equipment after seeing that list.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.