Thread: Air fryers

Air fryers

I hear a lot of good things about air fryers. Will it replace my toaster oven, which, btw, I consider an indespenseble appliance. Check out any food truck to see what I mean. I am space constrained, can't have both. Anybody use one? You like?

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

I think they do roughly as good a job as Turkey Bacon, but hey, it’s healthier.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Can you bake liners in them?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

How do you fry air?

Is it like fried dough?
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

The ‘juice’ that fries the air is powered by HillaryHate tm, naturally.
    Forum Cross Pollinator

Sounds like the level of cooking here is Grubhub on speedial.

The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

Air fryers rock! Great for quickly reheating pizza, no really crisp crust and hot gooey cheese. Air fried Brussel sprouts, French fries (russet and sweet) and chicken wings are amazing. Healthy too as there is little or no oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I hear a lot of good things about air fryers. Will it replace my toaster oven, which, btw, I consider an indespenseble appliance. Check out any food truck to see what I mean. I am space constrained, can't have both. Anybody use one? You like?

Eh - it's a one trick pony. Been using one regularly in my temp kitchen while doing a remodel. It's basically a convection oven. If your toaster oven isn't convection get a countertop convection oven and all bases are covered in one much more versatile unit. And yes you can bake liners too. The air fry French fries are just ok, roast potatoes are great, egg rolls from costco - very good. Mine was a gift so I have no dollars invested in it.

We got one as a gift, and we use it every day. We make chicken breasts and pork chops in it all the time, along with sliced baby red potatoes. Little less energy intensive than firing up a full sized oven every time.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless Sinner View Post
    Eh - it's a one trick pony. Been using one regularly in my temp kitchen while doing a remodel. It's basically a convection oven. If your toaster oven isn't convection get a countertop convection oven and all bases are covered in one much more versatile unit. And yes you can bake liners too. The air fry French fries are just ok, roast potatoes are great, egg rolls from costco - very good. Mine was a gift so I have no dollars invested in it.
    Convection ovens are the best fit fitting liners. I put the whole boot with lines at 80c and wait an hour. No creases to worry about.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Says mr toaster oven

Air fryers

Den you ain’t been over to the whatcha cookin thread in a while.

I’m Kinda in your situation too here Benny. Have an old school B&D like my grandma had and it’s used on the daily.

Anyway, from just looking around and chatting up people that have them, there are at least two types of “air fryer” - one that can easily replace the toaster oven and one that can’t.

I’m not sure the difference. So I’m hoping for some enlightenment.

Theres a way you can still just use it to toast your bread while you finish up the eggs. Or, for what seems like anything else that you would prefer toast mode for. (Though the larger size of the device raises questions about distance from the elements.

Then “fry” mode seems pretty good to me from what I have seen. Like frozen French fries, my neighbor makes homemade mozerella sticks and they’re good. No wet batter.

There are also front door types and tray types. The replacemt, to my opinion, would need to be a front door type.

My buddy used the shit out of his as a replacement for his oven and toaster oven.

He did a deal where he cooked a chicken on a rack in a crockpot, dry, for several hours and then put it through the air fryer to finish it off.

He has the emerill. https://www.emerilairfryer360.com/?u...SABEgI_JfD_BwE

I’ve been demanding pics from this dude who’s a pretty good cook but not any trained chef:

Thought this chicken fried chicken looked pretty proper:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2899.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	367480

Some other stuff cooked or heated in the device:

Name:	63331823920__38B16745-6971-4701-AE77-D07FCB20CB54.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	401.3 KB 
ID:	367481

Name:	63339878735__A6CF932D-AB89-41FC-8BBC-7ACB9B83DE9C.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	615.5 KB 
ID:	367482

Name:	IMG_2898.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	367483

I couldn’t find an “after” pic of the bird but this is what it looked like out of the crockpot:

Name:	63322296644__29682F20-9274-47B2-BED8-7ED64EF0C42A.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	538.0 KB 
ID:	367484

After coming out of the “fryer” it was a proper rotisserie style chicken. Proper enough that I’d want to put some in my pockets for later. Hehehehe. And the Reuben should be grilled IMHO, or you can’t call it a Reuben BUT that looks like a tasty approximation. The real offense there goes unseen, which is the use of 1000 island as opposed to Russian. Details though, I’d crush it.

Edit to add another buddy of mine who’s also a good cook keeps holding off be cause “the one to get” is 350 bucks.

Which I think he’s talking about this one:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/pr...oaster%20Ovens

He’s a toaster oven fan and swears it can be a replacement plus more.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

So how do you think, though, that the air fryer fries are against the standard “frozen oreida crinkle cut in conventional oven method?” The only ones I had from the air fryer seemed to be nicer than that, at least closer to the deep fry method.

I should just keep the toaster oven and get a fry daddy. What’s a household without a fry daddy?

tip: deep fry shit in the Dutch oven!!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    So how do you think, though, that the air fryer fries are against the standard “frozen oreida crinkle cut in conventional oven method?” The only ones I had from the air fryer seemed to be nicer than that, at least closer to the deep fry method.
    Did you try making the french fries with fresh cut potatoes that were soaked in cold water for an hour then sprayed with duck fat before the air fryer? Potatoes fried in duck fat aren't healthy, but taste good.

You can have both.
    We have this convection countertop and toaster oven aka "easy-bake oven"

Quote Originally Posted by wendigo View Post
    You can have both.
    We have this convection countertop and toaster oven aka "easy-bake oven"
    Clearly the red one is better!

wife lobbied for an air fryer a year ago. We don’t even eat fried foods.
    After researching, found out it’s just a convection oven. Which we already have.

Same shit with instapot. We own a pressure cooker and a slow cooker.
    I could see having an instapot in a dorm or small apartment however.
    Same with a convection toaster or air fryer if your rental oven sucks.
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

Although, if you have an Instant pot, and would like an air fryer, there is an Instant Pot air fryer lid.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Did you try making the french fries with fresh cut potatoes that were soaked in cold water for an hour then sprayed with duck fat before the air fryer? Potatoes fried in duck fat aren't healthy, but taste good.
    Used the Idaho Russet Burbank, fresh cut, did not soak. Used peanut oil ala 5 Guys. They come out about like frozen french fries cooked in a regular oven, perhaps a notch better; deep fried are still far superior. The roast potatoes did equal those made in a regular oven and were excellent.

Used peanut oil ala 5 Guys.
    The soak is important to get the starch off the exterior of the spuds, hard to top an ID russet. Not sure about 5 Guys and their peanut oil, but duck fat is what is used in Quebec for amazing pommes frites. Dusting them with truffle powder to kick it up a notch.

I am sure Benny has given up and bought a new toaster oven by now.

tater talk.....