Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does CAST have a removable heel option?

CAST. pretty nifty right. remove toe, uphill on pins, etc etc

My understanding is that pivot-CASTs are heavier than Shifts on the up due to the weight of the pivot heel. For fun let's ignore the problems Shifts have and pretend they function perfectly.

My question is does CAST offer a heel plate so you can remove the Pivot heel piece as well as the toe ? If no, why not? Does it have something to do with the way the bindings release? Am I an idiot? Did they make a semi arbitrary decision that "people will swap toes but not heels to save weight" ???

???
    ??
    ?

Extra fiddle factor in the field.
    Plus you have to carry the heels somewhere.
    Not sure how you would set up a plate for the FKS heel?

Would be way lighter on the way up though.

See Tyrolia Attack2 demo touring mod thread.

^^^ Here's the basic idea with Tyrolia demos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1143.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	367155  

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    Extra fiddle factor in the field.
    Plus you have to carry the heels somewhere.
    Not sure how you would set up a plate for the FKS heel?

Would be way lighter on the way up though.
    Yup. And heel pieces with brakes would take up a ton of space in your pack.

CAST isn't a weight conscious touring system, it fills a specific niche.

The tours I do are long approaches to a hike and ski. I plan to put inserts in the heels and take the
    Pivot heels off for the approach and screw them back in before the hike up. Perfect for my application probably a horrible idea overall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wondering if this would fit the bill: https://casttouring.com/en-us/produc...econd-ski-kit/

Edit: after taking a closer look (obviously my first look wasn’t very close), appears like not, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by dub_xion; 03-13-2021 at 10:02 AM.

It seems doable based on how well their current system works but with a couple of big caveats.

On the pro side: Transitions ultimately wouldn’t be that much worse considering the Pivots don’t have a track to adjust BSL. As long as your forward pressure springs aren’t coming unscrewed in your pack you could theoretically be able to just snap the heels on and go just like the toes.

Con: To get the current Cast system working properly they had to completely replace the Look toe pedestal with their own. I’m sure that was incredibly difficult from an engineering/manufacturing perspective, and that’s with a pretty simple part, mechanically speaking. The brake/heel mechanism of the Pivot is stupid complicated. Cast would have to either A. Completely redesign their own heel (which seems crazy hard), or B. Add an adapter beneath the Look heel, which would mean redesigning their toe pedestal to account for the increased heel height.

It may be doable, but really difficult and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    The tours I do are long approaches to a hike and ski. I plan to put inserts in the heels and take the
    Pivot heels off for the approach and screw them back in before the hike up. Perfect for my application probably a horrible idea overall.

You're either more skilled than I am, or nuts.

Have you ever mounted a Pivot?

Have you seen the recent comments in the CAST thread about controlling the tilt of the heel while starting the screws?

Do you like the idea of cross-threading and ruining an insert?
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I’m probably less skilled but more nuts. I even commented in the other thread how full on PITA pivot heels are. I even said having two heels mounted full time is a much better idea with CAST toe shoulder bolts. So, yeah.

Somewhere in my mind I think the heel brake lockout may be able to help in the process. Purely speculation though.

I’m probably less skilled but more nuts. I even commented in the other thread how full on PITA pivot heels are. I even said having two heels mounted full time is a much better idea with CAST toe shoulder bolts. So, yeah.

Somewhere in my mind I think the heel brake lockout may be able to help in the process. Purely speculation though.

You do realize that the half moon just floats in there, so that makes for 5 pieces to go flying about in the snow (4 screws + the half moon).

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    You do realize that the half moon just floats in there, so that makes for 5 pieces to go flying about in the snow (4 screws + the half moon).

... Thom
    it's gonna be a ball im sure haha. i think he'll pull it off alright, but it's annoying, and depends on the touring partners. speaking personally, btween mounting and swapping inserts, ive installed the pivot heel hundreds of times. if you have the brakes held up with a rubber band, or can float the ski so the brake can hang below the ski, as you know it isn't that bad thom.

that said i would not relish. could see simply snapping it into place however

I like CAST for the right applications, and am generally more inclined to take in the scenery while transitioning than I am to make a race out of it.

If a touring partner wanted to screw their Pivot heels on and off each lap, I'd consider that grounds for murder. YMMV.

If you're doing seriously long tours with a cast setup then either:

1) you're a badass that actually benefits from having a burly binding, in which case you're strong and a bit of extra weight from the heel really isn't a big deal, or

2) you're not a badass, you don't actually need an 18 din binding for the skiing you're doing, and your long tour should be done with regular tech bindings like everyone else that does long tours.

I bought all the pieces for the Lindahl cast setup with attack 2s. Except I used warden demos. Have those barely used and new trofeo toes. Did not get around to choosing a riser (was likely going voile). Bent chets/shifts have me feeling like I don’t need them...

So for those you that want to try a cast like system where the heels detach, and you could stomach warden demos over pivots...I have most of the parts to build that, and I won’t use them.

DM me if you want them. I got good deals on both. They should go to a mag.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    If you're doing seriously long tours with a cast setup then either:

1) you're a badass that actually benefits from having a burly binding, in which case you're strong and a bit of extra weight from the heel really isn't a big deal, or

2) you're not a badass, you don't actually need an 18 din binding for the skiing you're doing, and your long tour should be done with regular tech bindings like everyone else that does long tours.

3) I’m not a badass and I don’t need an 18 binder. My long tours are all in one place these days and if you understand you’d get it. I said that right in the beginning. Read it, reading skills FTMFW. I don’t need real touring binders anymore these days since this tour is all I do. I have p18’s so this set up makes sense.

4) spend less time on the interwebz
    FIFY

FIFY

I read your post. I still don't get it. Why does it matter if you're only touring in one location? Bindings aren't location specific.

A long approach is a long approach. Just get a regular tech binding.

Jeezus fuck. So I can’t do something because you don’t like it? Let it go.

Jeezus fuck. So I can’t do something because you don’t like it? Let it go.

You can do it. It's just a dumb idea. If you didn't want people to tell you that your dumb idea was dumb, you shouldn't have posted it on the internet.

If you're insistent on trying to cut weight off your Cast heels on the way up, I think it would be a better idea to take the dildo off the brake assembly. Less fiddly, lower odds of disaster when the half moon escapes and you drop screws.

I'd still want to murder a touring partner that did that too, though.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    ... If a touring partner wanted to screw their Pivot heels on and off each lap, I'd consider that grounds for murder. YMMV.
    ^^^ took the words right out of my mouth ^^^

Epic ski worthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by margotron View Post
    ... could see simply snapping it into place however
    If someone were inclined to design this, I can visualize the heel having to be mounted to some sort of adapter plate. Then everyone would bitch about the increased ramp angle, and they'd have to fabricate an integrated toe shim to compensate ;-)

Then, only 3 people would but it.

@mtnwriter's situation sounds like an application for either a Helio 200/Haute Route type of binder or Vipec/Tectons, but then again, I'm a fanbois of both companies.

... Thom
    Galibier Design

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    You can do it. It's just a dumb idea. If you didn't want people to tell you that your dumb idea was dumb, you shouldn't have posted it on the internet.
    You are the first person I ever openly called a douchenozzle on the site and am putting on ignore since I joined - I think a few years after the migration. Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    If you're insistent on trying to cut weight off your Cast heels on the way up, I think it would be a better idea to take the dildo off the brake assembly. Less fiddly, lower odds of disaster when the half moon escapes and you drop screws.

I'd still want to murder a touring partner that did that too, though.
    This seems like a legitimate option for multi days with a long hike in if you're set on using CAST. Remove the dildos before the tour and set them back up at camp. I would never try to do this during a normal transition though.

As others have mentioned, fiddling with screws and inserts on the mountain seems like a very bad idea destined to ruin your trip.

You are the first person I ever openly called a douchenozzle on the site and am putting on ignore since I joined - I think a few years after the migration. Congratulations.

I can't say I recall you calling me a douchenozzle. Perhaps I insulted your bindings on a previous occasion as well?

Just go telemark, no heel piece to worry about

edit: but seriously how long will it take for what are essentially binding repairs on every lap, to get old ?
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-14-2021 at 01:47 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know