Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Remember the guy who fell down King Ravine (while carrying a .45 in case of wolves, and an IV saline rig in case of....I forget), then boasted on the internet a bunch about his survival skills? Well, one of those survival skills was climbing up his line in hiking boots, then putting on his ski boots (which were already clicked into his skis) on at the top of a steep rollover, before making a turn, catching an edge and falling 1000' to glory. That's what this thread reminds me of.

Any CAST users here skiing harder than this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Remember the guy who fell down King Ravine (while carrying a .45 in case of wolves, and an IV saline rig in case of....I forget), then boasted on the internet a bunch about his survival skills? Well, one of those survival skills was climbing up his line in hiking boots, then putting on his ski boots (which were already clicked into his skis) on at the top of a steep rollover, before making a turn, catching an edge and falling 1000' to glory. That's what this thread reminds me of.

First off, it was a 9mm. Second, he intentionally dehydrated himself for endurance training purposes(still not sure how that works). His username is risetothetop, and he should never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    First off, it was a 9mm. Second, he intentionally dehydrated himself for endurance training purposes(still not sure how that works). His username is risetothetop, and he should never be forgotten.
    One thing is clear - these two guys could be best of touring buddies.
    I forgot he claimed to be a pre med student:
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    I still remember the picture of him and his road pizza face with that creepy Easter Bunny peering into his living room.

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    One thing is clear - these two guys could be best of touring buddies.
    I forgot he claimed to be a pre med student:
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

... Thom
    I don't know how I missed that the first time around, but that's spectacular.

Invoking rttt is a bit extreme eh?

Sent from my BND-L24 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post

You don’t need to ski harder than this guy to use cast. You use cast because of safety and smooth ride that any pin binding unable to provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Sashka View Post
    You don’t need to ski harder than this guy to use cast. You use cast because of safety and smooth ride that any pin binding unable to provide.
    And most of Cody's adventures in "The Fifty" were carried out with MTNs, even though Shifts were available to him.

This isn't a Shift vs. CAST argument, but rather a right tool for the job argument. Long approach, and burly terrain ... yer gonna compromise one way or the other, unless you plan doing a Pivot heel mount at the top, in a raging storm.

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Exactly - everyone should choose their compromise - Coby chose MTNs, Sam Anthamatten chose CAST.

But I'm with you - heel mount in a field is a controversial idea to say the least xD

Way ahead of all of you.

I just tour with the heel unmounted and a jig and drill in my pack. Nobody likes to wait for me at transitions, but that extra weight I shaved off my skis more than makes up for it.

I have never seen the combination of weight weenie and CAST before. Very interesting.

If this matters that much to you, why not run like a Squire heel or something? If you're going to break the rules, don't half ass it.

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Way ahead of all of you.

I just tour with the heel unmounted and a jig and drill in my pack. Nobody likes to wait for me at transitions, but that extra weight I shaved off my skis more than makes up for it.

I have never seen the combination of weight weenie and CAST before. Very interesting.

If this matters that much to you, why not run like a Squire heel or something? If you're going to break the rules, don't half ass it.
    If you switched to a paper template instead of the jig, it'd save you some weight.

Way ahead of all of you.

Rookie mistake. Saves a bunch of weight if you skip the drill, all you need is a tap t-handle and some elbow grease!

Quote Originally Posted by tdpdx View Post
    Rookie mistake. Saves a bunch of weight if you skip the drill, all you need is a tap t-handle and some elbow grease!

Fun fact, I once toured with someone who started out on the up with a Dynafit radical mounted, we got to the top, I transition quickly and put on a layer and realize that they have a screwdriver out and are swapping the quiver-killed radical over to a STH, at the top of the skin. Their reasoning was that they "skied too hard for a tech binding." Dearest readers, they did not. And I never toured with them again. I never, ever, want to see someone fumbling with a handful of screws and a pozi driver in the wind again. Don't find your ski partners on tinder.

Fun fact, I once toured with someone who started out on the up with a Dynafit radical mounted, we got to the top, I transition quickly and put on a layer and realize that they have a screwdriver out and are swapping the quiver-killed radical over to a STH, at the top of the skin. Their reasoning was that they "skied too hard for a tech binding." Dearest readers, they did not. And I never toured with them again. I never, ever, want to see someone fumbling with a handful of screws and a pozi driver in the wind again. Don't find your ski partners on tinder.
    Incredible. Love the image of you turning around to seeing that disaster unfolding, and it dawning on you what you'd gotten into.

A buddy of mine once realized he'd forgotten the Pivot toes for his CAST setup after we'd skinned up about 4000 feet. Not meeting your touring partners on tinder isn't a surefire way to success either.

I feel self-conscious about the small amount of extra time it takes me to transition with CAST, I can't imagine making my touring hold up while I break out the fucking pozi-drive . Hope they brought their torque tester too.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    A buddy of mine once realized he'd forgotten the Pivot toes for his CAST setup after we'd skinned up about 4000 feet. Not meeting your touring partners on tinder isn't a surefire way to success either.
    This is my worst fucking nightmare played out. I check for the Pivot toes in my pack about 10 times before setting out.

Quote Originally Posted by tdpdx View Post
    This is my worst fucking nightmare played out. I check for the Pivot toes in my pack about 10 times before setting out.
    We voile strapped his heels down and he was able to limp out, but it sucked. He won't make that mistake again.

What about using a Marker Jester/Griffon Demo heelpiece with the Cast Pivot toe? The "new" version (not sure there is a Jester option though...) is a tool-less quick detach solution. Ofcourse noone is ever going to give you an official ok to that, but the release direction and forces for the Pivot toe is more or less identical to the Griffon/Jester toe so it will most likely work. Not sure about how the forward pressure compare, but not sure that it matters that much in terms of toe release function. You would likely need to adjust one or the other in terms of stand height, but that would be super simple to do.

The heelpiece of the Jester is pretty darn good in terms of elasticity and retention. And it kind of looks like a dildo too. It would be a true Frankenbuild, but I would actually be surprised if it didn´t ski and worked pretty well.